Mahamudra version of Namkhai Norbu

CedarTree

Mahamudra version of Namkhai Norbu

Post by CedarTree »

I posted a few days ago in the General Tibetan area and I started to see the same name being referenced by various people.

I.e. Namkhai Norbu

This is obviously someone most everyone respects and thinks is a good teacher of Dzogchen.

Since I come from a Theravada (Thai Forest) and Soto Zen (Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery) I have had the privilege of reading great writers and thinkers like Bhikkhu Ṭhanissaro - Ajaan Geoff, Shohaku Okumura Roshi, etc.

Who would be the Mahamudra teacher and or writer that everyone respects at that level?

Practice, Practice, Practice
Virgo

Re: Mahamudra version of Namkhai Norbu

Post by Virgo »

CedarTree wrote: Who would be the Mahamudra teacher and or writer that everyone respects at that level?
There are a lot of great Mahamudra teachers. For example, Thrangu Rinpoche.

Virgo
Punya

Post by Punya »

Although not particularly well known, you might want to check out the writings of Traleg Rinpoche too.
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
MiphamFan

Post by MiphamFan »

Garchen Rinpoche is probably the main Mahamudra teacher who teaches widely on webcasts as does Chogyal Namkhai Norbu.
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

These are some awesome suggestions :)

Can I ask for those of you that choose Mahamudra over Dzogchen what were the contributing reasons?

Practice, Practice, Practice
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

CedarTree wrote:These are some awesome suggestions :)

Can I ask for those of you that choose Mahamudra over Dzogchen what were the contributing reasons?
Karmic connection is the answer to your question.

I am pretty certain most people don't make a conscious decision to choose one over the other; at least until recently, it was all about what teacher you found yourself connected to....

Some teachers also teach from both traditions--Tulku Urgyen's descendants are all examples of this, to varying degrees. I recommend Yongay Mingyur Rinpoche as an example of a Mahamudra teacher, trained at Palpung Sherab Ling, holder of the Kamtsang lineages, who also holds and teaches his father's lineage, Chogling Tersar, as well as some instruction from Nyoshul Khenpo Rinpoche's lineage.

Thrangu Rinpoche is senior-most Mahamudra teacher in the Kamtsang, and is one of my teachers (as is Mingyur Rinpoche). Tai Situ Rinpoche also teaches Mahamudra and maintains an annual course in India for students. Bokar Khenpo Lodro Donyo Rinpoche also teaches a graduated Mahamudra course in India and, sometimes, in the USA.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
heart

Post by heart »

CedarTree wrote:I posted a few days ago in the General Tibetan area and I started to see the same name being referenced by various people.

I.e. Namkhai Norbu

This is obviously someone most everyone respects and thinks is a good teacher of Dzogchen.

Since I come from a Theravada (Thai Forest) and Soto Zen (Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery) I have had the privilege of reading great writers and thinkers like Bhikkhu Ṭhanissaro - Ajaan Geoff, Shohaku Okumura Roshi, etc.

Who would be the Mahamudra teacher and or writer that everyone respects at that level?
All of Tulku Urgyen's sons teach both Mahamudra and Dzogchen.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
justsit

Post by justsit »

A few others, US based, that teach both Mahamudra and Dzogchen - Ponlop Rinpoche , Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche, Khandro Rinpoche
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Your possibilities are endless.

Kevin
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Good to attend sangha in person, if possible. Usually it's possible, at least once in a while.

Return to “Mahamudra”