Best Masters of Mahamudra

dioni

Best Masters of Mahamudra

Post by dioni »

Hello,
I have just found out about the profund teaching of Mahamudra and I would like to practice it with a guide that is accomplished in it.
Can you suggest some Masters of Mahamudra that I could visit to receive instruction and guidance?
Thanks a lot
Josef

Re: Best Masters of Mahamudra

Post by Josef »

dioni wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:32 pm Hello,
I have just found out about the profund teaching of Mahamudra and I would like to practice it with a guide that is accomplished in it.
Can you suggest some Masters of Mahamudra that I could visit to receive instruction and guidance?
Thanks a lot
Garchen Rinpoche
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Josef wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:12 pm
Thanks a lot
Garchen Rinpoche
+1. He frequently teaches the Ganges Mahamudra Updesha, and I cannot recommend enough receiving that from him.
Kris

Post by Kris »

Thanks a lot
Repa Tsultrim Tharchin
33868384_1638639922850548_2124229745871683584_n.jpg
33868384_1638639922850548_2124229745871683584_n.jpg (61 KiB) Viewed 5827 times
The profound path of the master.
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
Vasana

Post by Vasana »

Tai Situpa Rinpoche, Thrangu Rinpoche, Karmapa
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Kris

Post by Kris »

Josef wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:12 pm
Thanks a lot
Garchen Rinpoche
Definitely. These teachings are happening now.
Screenshot_20180703-135225.png
Screenshot_20180703-135225.png (145.21 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
Screenshot_20180703-135240.png
Screenshot_20180703-135240.png (163.84 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
https://garchen.net/annual-events/
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines
PSM

Post by PSM »

Also Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I would definitely second Tergar for a number of reasons. I think the organization as a whole is definitely one of the best dharma groups I've ever encountered. I've been practicing with them for the last few years.

First, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and his lamas are great teachers who speak from experience. YMR is very entertaining, devoted to teachings students, and trying to meet people where they are. YMR has a great sense of humor and teaches in English.

Second, they have developed a complete path for householders. You can scale between more and less traditional preliminary tracks or switch back and forth. You can do traditional Ngondro if you want, but it is not mandatory for Mahamudra teachings.

Third, detailed pointing out instructions right away for experienced students, and a great introduction to meditation for anyone. You can do live retreats or online. The curriculum is not too heavy, nor too light.

Fourth, solid online support. They have ongoing study groups, classes, videos, and so on with access to experienced instructors authorized by YMR. YMR also hosts webinars for questions. There is a strong and growing library of materials enough to keep you busy for at least two years.

Fifth, great retreat experience. The larger retreats have both teaching and practice sessions, and are available all over the world.

Sixth, awesome sangha. Everyone is genuinely nice and supportive. They genuinely practice and it shows.

Seventh, the organization is going through a lot of positive changes right now and they are developing a lot of innovative teachings for people of varying types. It is a great time to get involved.
Aryjna wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:41 pm There is also Mingyur Rinpoche

https://tergar.org/events/exploring-nature-mind-2/
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

Erik Pema Kunsang
Ken McLeod
James Low (rather on the Dzogchen side)
Alan Wallace

if you are interested to see how Westerners transmit the Impeccable

But I guess this thread is quite repetitive to this pinned one
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8917

Who is best you have to find out because the question is: who is best for you?
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
Silent Bob1

Post by Silent Bob1 »

Matt J wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:16 pm I would definitely second Tergar for a number of reasons. I think the organization as a whole is definitely one of the best dharma groups I've ever encountered. I've been practicing with them for the last few years.

First, Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and his lamas are great teachers who speak from experience. YMR is very entertaining, devoted to teachings students, and trying to meet people where they are. YMR has a great sense of humor and teaches in English.

Second, they have developed a complete path for householders. You can scale between more and less traditional preliminary tracks or switch back and forth. You can do traditional Ngondro if you want, but it is not mandatory for Mahamudra teachings.

Third, detailed pointing out instructions right away for experienced students, and a great introduction to meditation for anyone. You can do live retreats or online. The curriculum is not too heavy, nor too light.

Fourth, solid online support. They have ongoing study groups, classes, videos, and so on with access to experienced instructors authorized by YMR. YMR also hosts webinars for questions. There is a strong and growing library of materials enough to keep you busy for at least two years.

Fifth, great retreat experience. The larger retreats have both teaching and practice sessions, and are available all over the world.

Sixth, awesome sangha. Everyone is genuinely nice and supportive. They genuinely practice and it shows.

Seventh, the organization is going through a lot of positive changes right now and they are developing a lot of innovative teachings for people of varying types. It is a great time to get involved.
Aryjna wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:41 pm There is also Mingyur Rinpoche

https://tergar.org/events/exploring-nature-mind-2/
In my experience, the above is all true. I've practiced Vajrayana for over four decades and I'm always drawn back to Tergar retreat. Deep teaching, serious practitioners.
Natan

Post by Natan »

I would urge you find a Mahamudra/Great Perfection Master who teaches according to actual tantras, like Hevajra. A lot of folks fancy themselves ready to skip stages and go straight to pith instructions, but I have it on good authority that this is a mistake.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Crazywisdom wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:38 am I would urge you find a Mahamudra/Great Perfection Master who teaches according to actual tantras, like Hevajra. A lot of folks fancy themselves ready to skip stages and go straight to pith instructions, but I have it on good authority that this is a mistake.
And for that, on this globe today, there is no one better than HH Sakya Trichen for the former and ChNN for the latter. This is not to say that there aren't many other excellent teachers, but these two are supreme. See them while you still can.
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:34 pm
Crazywisdom wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:38 am I would urge you find a Mahamudra/Great Perfection Master who teaches according to actual tantras, like Hevajra. A lot of folks fancy themselves ready to skip stages and go straight to pith instructions, but I have it on good authority that this is a mistake.
And for that, on this globe today, there is no one better than HH Sakya Trichen for the former and ChNN for the latter. This is not to say that there aren't many other excellent teachers, but these two are supreme. See them while you still can.
The 41st Sakya Trichen?
Kris

Post by Kris »

Lam Dre 2018.jpg
Lam Dre 2018.jpg (94.69 KiB) Viewed 5291 times
:bow: :bow: :bow:
-- Virūpa, Vajra Lines

Return to “Mahamudra”