Gaden Mahamudra

Lobsang Chojor

Gaden Mahamudra

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:49 am

Hi all,

I've received received a HYT empowerment and the lama indicated the importance of practicing mahamudra and said we had permission to practice it. My question is, is the lung of the 1st Panchen Lama's mahamudra root text vital before you start the practice of mahamudra in the gelug tradition?

Unfortunately I can't ask the lama as he was only here for a few weeks and my teacher is no longer in the UK (as HHDL asked him to become the abbot of Sera Mey) and I don't want to waste his time with my questions.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ

Astus
Former staff member

Re: Gaden Mahamudra

Post by Astus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:27 am

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:49 am
I've received received a HYT empowerment and the lama indicated the importance of practicing mahamudra and said we had permission to practice it. My question is, is the lung of the 1st Panchen Lama's mahamudra root text vital before you start the practice of mahamudra in the gelug tradition?
Can't say anything about the Gelug setup, but in HYT the fourth empowerment is mahamudra, so technically you already know what to practice. The specific teachings focusing on mahamudra itself might be used as theoretical support.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Astus wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:27 am
Can't say anything about the Gelug setup, but in HYT the fourth empowerment is mahamudra, so technically you already know what to practice. The specific teachings focusing on mahamudra itself might be used as theoretical support.
Thank you Astus, I thought as much but I didn't make notes during the empowerment so couldn't remember perfectly.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"

zerwe

Post by zerwe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Wisdom Publications has just released a book of Lama Yeshe's teachings on Mahamudra.
Maybe that would prove useful.

Shaun

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 pm

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Hi all,

A qualified guru is vital.
Astus wrote:
Can't say anything about the Gelug setup, but in HYT the fourth empowerment is mahamudra
No.
Buddhahood in This Life
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

[A]nything at all that is well spoken is the word of the Buddha.

-- Ārya-adhyāśaya-sañcodana-nāma-mahāyāna-sūtra

The different sūtras in accord with the emptiness
taught by the Sugata are definitive in meaning;
One can understand that all of those Dharmas in
which a sentient being, individual, or person are taught are provisional in meaning.

-- Samadhirāja Sūtra

Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 pm
Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Hi all,

A qualified guru is vital.
Astus wrote:
Can't say anything about the Gelug setup, but in HYT the fourth empowerment is mahamudra
No.
Thank you Malcolm! I'll wait for my guru to return before starting practicing.

Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 am

Malcolm wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:38 pm
Astus wrote:
in HYT the fourth empowerment is mahamudra
No.
Why?

"The "word empowerment" is given in order to introduce you to the actual innate wisdom, which is the seven aspects of mahamudra"
(Dakpo Tashi Namgyal: Light Rays from the Jewel of the Excellent Teaching, in Mahamudra and Related Instructions, p 487)

"The fourth empowerment is that of the word or mahamudra. It's like talking or pointing out instructions with the words. But the meaning is mahamudra. So then one practises with the essence of one's mind."
(Mingyur Dorje Rinpoche: Vajrayana and Empowerment)
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"

Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:26 pm

To introduce you. There’s still the path. In Dakpo... one has to be in no meditation 24/7 no breaks, even for dreams. Father tantras and “nondual” make things a bit more clear about the result. The Mirror divination analogy.
She glares menacingly at your corpse.

The criticisms of others are like wrathful mantras. Fast purification. Welcome it. -can’t remember who

Return to “Mahamudra”