Pekar incense

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
pemachophel

Re: Pekar incense

Post by pemachophel »

Yudron,

PM me if you'd like to try some Boswellia resin from the Yucatan that a Mayan shaman once gave me.

:namaste:
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

pemachophel wrote:Yudron,

PM me if you'd like to try some Boswellia resin from the Yucatan that a Mayan shaman once gave me.

Thanks, chopon-la! Question: the substance is to be melted on the stove and blended with crushed rilbu to make an ointment. Do you think your substance would do that. I think water may be an ingredient not mentioned in the recipe.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yudron,

I've made many, many ointments in my day (commercially through Blue Poppy Enterprises); so I know a little about that. I don't think the pokar will melt with heat in a way that will allow it to mix with oil. It will dissolve in alcohol. I know this because we used that process with frankincense at Blue Poppy and, as has already been mentioned, pokar and frankincense are kissing cousins. Ointments are usually oil-based. The typical ointment is made from oil (whatever kind one likes) plus a lesser amount of beewax melted into the oil (to stiffen the ointment to the desired consistency and also as a preservative). As you know, oil and water don't mix. However, if you first tincture the pokar and rilbu in alcohol until they dissolve, then you can add the alcohol to the ointment base and heat that until the alcohol boils off/evaporates, making sure the heat is not so high that you burn the mix. You'll know the heat is too high if the pot starts smoking too much. What you will be left with is the rilbu and pokar impregnated in the ointment without the ointment being lumpy or scratchy. Actually, I'd suggest doing this boiling off process before you add the beeswax. That should be the last step. Pokar will not dissolve in water/boiling water. That's why I'm suggesting first dissolving it in alcohol. The alcohol could even be tshog-chang or amrit from a drubchen/drubchod/retreat.

Pokar may dissolve in heated oil, but my old man's memory is not absolutely sure of this. That's why I've suggested tincturing it in alcohol first. However, you could do an experiment and see if some frankincense melts in oil with heat. If so, then you can simply use that approach. However, that doesn't account for the rilbu. So maybe the tincturing method is the one to use.

Good luck and best wishes.

Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

pemachophel wrote:Yudron,

I've made many, many ointments in my day (commercially through Blue Poppy Enterprises); so I know a little about that. I don't think the pokar will melt with heat in a way that will allow it to mix with oil. It will dissolve in alcohol. I know this because we used that process with frankincense at Blue Poppy and, as has already been mentioned, pokar and frankincense are kissing cousins. Ointments are usually oil-based. The typical ointment is made from oil (whatever kind one likes) plus a lesser amount of beewax melted into the oil (to stiffen the ointment to the desired consistency and also as a preservative). As you know, oil and water don't mix. However, if you first tincture the pokar and rilbu in alcohol until they dissolve, then you can add the alcohol to the ointment base and heat that until the alcohol boils off/evaporates, making sure the heat is not so high that you burn the mix. You'll know the heat is too high if the pot starts smoking too much. What you will be left with is the rilbu and pokar impregnated in the ointment without the ointment being lumpy or scratchy. Actually, I'd suggest doing this boiling off process before you add the beeswax. That should be the last step. Pokar will not dissolve in water/boiling water. That's why I'm suggesting first dissolving it in alcohol. The alcohol could even be tshog-chang or amrit from a drubchen/drubchod/retreat.

Pokar may dissolve in heated oil, but my old man's memory is not absolutely sure of this. That's why I've suggested tincturing it in alcohol first. However, you could do an experiment and see if some frankincense melts in oil with heat. If so, then you can simply use that approach. However, that doesn't account for the rilbu. So maybe the tincturing method is the one to use.

Good luck and best wishes.

This may just be really helpful. I'll PM you once I get all the ingredients together.

Return to “Alternative Health”