Sitting posture and varicose veins

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
el gatito

Sitting posture and varicose veins

Post by el gatito »

Any wisdom in regard to the sitting in either cross-legged positions or in the seiza and it's long term relation to the [existing] varicose veins on the legs? Can some of the postures be harmful, beneficial, or mostly they are neutral in this respect?

For the recent years I mostly sat in classical (with no support or pillows) seiza (a.k.a. "vajrasana" to some), that sometimes could extend to several hours a day. Cannot sit even in a half-lotus for more than 30-40 minutes presently (due to discomfort/lack of flexibility) though sometimes do. Recently started to use a pillow to sit in seiza.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Sitting posture and varicose veins

Post by Ayu »

It can be very helpful to ask a yoga teacher in meatspace about your sitting method. They can look on your body and sitting manner from outside objectively and can give skilled advice.
The ideal heith of the cushion differs between 3 to 12 centimeters for the different persons.
I got the advice to make sure to have contact with the knees to the ground, because then there is a three-point-stability. I thought they were on the ground, but this was the calf and not the knee that had contact. My knees where 2cm in the air. The yogateacher told me to put something under the knees to have better touch to the ground. I sewed two small cushions that cannot slip away.
Now I sit on these three points like in a mounting. It is very relaxing for the straight back.

I don't know anything about the effect of sitting to the varicose veins. A doctor told me, much walking is good for the legs.

Return to “Alternative Health”