Possible pranic disturbance from incorrect yoga??

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
Kaelmz

Possible pranic disturbance from incorrect yoga??

Post by Kaelmz »

Hey guys,

I'm a longtime lurker and need some help with a problem I've been experiencing.
A year or two ago I started practicing yoga (like an idiot) from a book, mainly doing pranayama and asanas. During my asana practice I began feeling nerve pain in one of my legs. Thinking it was just a pinched nerve I stopped and let it rest. Eventually I started getting similar pain in my other leg, etc.. Thinking I pinched some nerves, I saw a neurologist who ran the usual tests and dismissed me until further notice, and said it could possibly go away on its own or take some time for her to properly diagnose it, and that it was not pinched nerves.

This has all led me to think I might have cause some pranic disturbance with the poorly performed pranayama. What would the correct course of action be to correct such a problem? Would yoga (this time being taught by a proper teacher) help or hinder?
Vasana

Re: Possible pranic disturbance from incorrect yoga??

Post by Vasana »

It's impossible for any of us to reccomend a course of action even if we knew the precise details of the injury and your practices. If I were in your position and the doctors were no real help, i would be looking in to the science of nerve health and regeneration and also see what dietary changes and supplements could support the body's self repair.

Always remember that correlation does not equal causation. The injury may or may not be related to your yoga practice. To be on the safe side it makes sense to avoid the practices you expect may have triggered it all until you have a better idea.

In any case, it makes sense to learn yoga and especially the advanced pranayamas from a qualified teacher. Practicing incorrectly can have a domino effect across the whole body.
'When thoughts arise, recognise them clearly as your teacher'— Gampopa
'When alone, examine your mind, when among others, examine your speech'.— Atisha
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Kaelmz wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:14 am Hey guys,

I'm a longtime lurker and need some help with a problem I've been experiencing.
A year or two ago I started practicing yoga (like an idiot) from a book, mainly doing pranayama and asanas. During my asana practice I began feeling nerve pain in one of my legs. Thinking it was just a pinched nerve I stopped and let it rest. Eventually I started getting similar pain in my other leg, etc.. Thinking I pinched some nerves, I saw a neurologist who ran the usual tests and dismissed me until further notice, and said it could possibly go away on its own or take some time for her to properly diagnose it, and that it was not pinched nerves.

This has all led me to think I might have cause some pranic disturbance with the poorly performed pranayama. What would the correct course of action be to correct such a problem? Would yoga (this time being taught by a proper teacher) help or hinder?
Tendon problems. Very common in beginners with yoga. Even with a proper teacher.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

The Hindu Yoga teacher who taught me Yoga long time ago told that Pranayama is a high and thus dangerous practice. It's simply irresponsible to spread this practice via books commonly.
There are some preparations necessary to practice it and many do's and don'ts. As far as I know.
Pranayama has far more effects than only relaxation or whatever they promise in books. It is a very special tool and has to be handled with knowledge and caution.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Even qualified and certified yoga teachers are known to hurt their pupils. Thats one of the first things to screen for when shopping for a yoga instructor.

Prana is moved in the body, in specific ways, using asanas (positions), bandhas (locks), and kriyas (visualizations) any one of which could be injurious if not done properly. I don't do anything other than beginner asanas and i dont push the limits. A little yoga goes a long way.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Return to “Alternative Health”