Wrinkles & Aging Skin

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
quad

Wrinkles & Aging Skin

Post by quad »

This year I turned 32 and suddenly there’s lines all over my forehead. I never thought I’d be this vain. But yet here I am, asking a Buddhist forum for anti-aging tips. But I bet one of you wizards got a trick up your sleeve, I’ve seen some old Tibetan monks with amazing skin. So anyone got any ancient tips (topical, diet, supplements) for reversing / preventing wrinkles?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Wrinkles & Aging Skin

Post by Grigoris »

quad wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:57 am This year I turned 32 and suddenly there’s lines all over my forehead. I never thought I’d be this vain. But yet here I am, asking a Buddhist forum for anti-aging tips. But I bet one of you wizards got a trick up your sleeve, I’ve seen some old Tibetan monks with amazing skin. So anyone got any ancient tips (topical, diet, supplements) for reversing / preventing wrinkles?
Enlightenment. The buddha has perfect skin (and hair and...) :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
PSM

Post by PSM »

You have to avoid damaging the skin's collagen, keeping it elastic.
  • Most importantly, never smoke
  • Avoid UV exposure
  • Moisturise
  • Make sure you are as hydrated as possible
  • Eat plenty of collagen
  • Minimise stress
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Stop worrying and frowning so much. Try the Taoist inner smile technique. https://www.universal-tao.com/article/smile.html

Or since facial feedback alters neural activity just cheat and get Botox. It has the oddest side effect of reducing anxiety.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog ... n-cure-you
well wisher

Post by well wisher »

PSM wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:10 am You have to avoid damaging the skin's collagen, keeping it elastic.
  • Most importantly, never smoke
  • Avoid UV exposure
  • Moisturise
  • Make sure you are as hydrated as possible
  • Eat plenty of collagen
  • Minimise stress
:good:
These points rings very true. I am 33 now, and I noticed wrinkles on my foreheads too.
even though I do not regularly smoke cigarette or drink alcohol.
I was formerly working in financial IT industry, and arguably I made some bad lifestyle choices when I was younger, for the sake of pleasing the bosses and trying to survive in the workplace:
such as not drinking enough water during cram work sessions and huge amount of chain meetings, taking lunch too late, taking dinner near midnight while playing too many computer games trying to de-stress overthinking solutions for the sake of stressful work ...etc.
And I may have taken too many weekend long bike trips out a sunny days, trying to make the most out of the short summers in Canada. Gotta find less stressful jobs then! :tongue:

I think maybe diet plays a important role or skin up-keeping? Such as cutting back on junk and processed foods (eg. chips, cookies, packaged snacks), and replace it with healthier foods instead (like fresh fruits and veggies)?

Also to note: the wrinkles on my forehead only appears when I try to widen my eyes too large.
It does not appear if I remain calm, like in meditation stance with half-open eyes.
Enlightenment and the noble 8fold path, including right actions & livelihood,
are truly very powerful cures for many illnesses in life! :twothumbsup:
PSM

Post by PSM »

Diet is massively important, both to preventing and repairing damage. As for stress, I know some people who are serious meditators who I have no idea how old they are. A lama I know might be anywhere from 30 to late 50s. I am sure this is due to knowing how to deal with stress. He generally just looks youthful. I know this was a benefit the Buddha mentioned as a side effect of practice.

Genetics is of course important too. People with darker skin due to ethnic background obviously have much better natural protection from UV. Not much you can do to change that, though.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

quad wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:57 am This year I turned 32 and suddenly there’s lines all over my forehead. I never thought I’d be this vain. But yet here I am, asking a Buddhist forum for anti-aging tips. But I bet one of you wizards got a trick up your sleeve, I’ve seen some old Tibetan monks with amazing skin. So anyone got any ancient tips (topical, diet, supplements) for reversing / preventing wrinkles?
Get old with grace, enjoy your wrinkles as a badge of honour. Things are what they are.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Simon E. wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:29 pm
Get old with grace, enjoy your wrinkles as a badge of honour. Things are what they are.
Try acidic face cleansers rather than alkaline: example witch hazel

Also quit smoking, and avoid too much sun
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Smile more. It won't prevent wrinkles, but the ones you get will be nice ones! :D And it will probably reduce stress, so you'll get less of the not-nice ones.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
boda

Post by boda »

I know, just inject a bacterium into your skin that prevents the release of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from axon endings at the neuromuscular junction and thus causes flaccid paralysis. If it don't move it don't wrinkle. :smile:
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

eh.. flacidity and wrinkliness are the twilight twins :shrug:

On a more serious note use optimum level vitmin D which assists in telomere length. Srtong telomeres prevents zombie cells which result in world war Z on your skin. :thanks:
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

KathyLauren wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:03 pm Smile more. It won't prevent wrinkles, but the ones you get will be nice ones! :D And it will probably reduce stress, so you'll get less of the not-nice ones.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
This is more than epigenetics it's epiCgenetics :smile:

Return to “Alternative Health”