Weight

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Weight

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Namdrol la and all,

How can you at least keep your weight from dropping even if you're consuming food and nutrients and even fats?

Thanks,
Laura
Malcolm

Re: Weight

Post by Malcolm »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Namdrol la and all,

How can you at least keep your weight from dropping even if you're consuming food and nutrients and even fats?

Thanks,
Laura

Eat three meals a day, with your noon meal being the largest.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Aye, three meals now. Ok. I dropped another ten in a week totaling 60 in five weeks. At this point it's becoming an interference but I guess that would be obvious.

Thanks,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

PS

My Western doctor isn't particularly concerned but it's making me really fatigued. And people around me are starting to make remarks.

Thanks,
Laura :)
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:Aye, three meals now. Ok. I dropped another ten in a week totaling 60 in five weeks. At this point it's becoming an interference but I guess that would be obvious.

Thanks,
Laura
Whole grain cereals for breakfast with whole milk, pastries, etc., not yogurt and fruit
RIch, nutritious food at lunch, pasta, butter, olive oil, meat, etc.

Soups for dinner, beef barely, etc.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

As if you read my mind, I've been eating fruit and soft foods.

I'll do as you suggest, thanks. I think I smell chorizo and potatoes cooking. And I have bread.

Laura
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

You lost 60 WHAT in the last 5 weeks?

It sounds to me like maybe you're not getting enough calories. Try eating more higher calorie foods. Try eating more. You might need to eat more than 3 times/day.
:namaste:
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Well one of my medicines stimulates the appetite. It works, but unfortunately I can't take it until 6:00 at night and it takes effect three hours later. So during the daytime it's a bit rougher.

I keep eating and losing, so I'll change what I'm eating. I just can't take in any meat right now for sure. I tried but it comes back up.

Thanks for your concern :)

Best,
Laura
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

http://www.mademan.com/mm/5-healthy-hig ... foods.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Cool, I like avacados and peanut butter. Thanks a bunch :)

Sweets make me sick and fast food smells disgusting.

Best,
Laura
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

You don't have to eat meat to get enough calories. Grains, legumes, many root vegetables and nuts are all decent sources of calories. Most fruits are lower in calories but avocados and durians are good fruit sources.
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

Kyosan wrote:You don't have to eat meat to get enough calories. Grains, legumes, many root vegetables and nuts are all decent sources of calories. Most fruits are lower in calories but avocados and durians are good fruit sources.
Thanks :) What's a root vegetable? I think there's some nuts laying around here.

Best,
Laura
Ngawang Drolma
Founding Member

Post by Ngawang Drolma »

I just remembered, do I need to cut off the caffeine? I'll get headaches for a little while but I'm willing to do it.

Thanks,
Laura
Kyosan

Post by Kyosan »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:What's a root vegetable? I think there's some nuts laying around here.

Best,
Laura
White potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams are root vegetables that are higher in calories. With white potatoes you can use some salt, water/milk and extra virgin olive oil and mash them; they are tasty that way. Or make mashed potatoes and gravy. Gravy is usually made with fat, so it is also a source of calories.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ngawang Drolma wrote:
Kyosan wrote:You don't have to eat meat to get enough calories. Grains, legumes, many root vegetables and nuts are all decent sources of calories. Most fruits are lower in calories but avocados and durians are good fruit sources.

Best,
Laura

Carrots
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Hiya :)

Are you losing muscle as well as fat?

Fat is also essential to good health so you need a balance.

Forget the docs and see a nutritionist if you can. Many doctors spend very little time in training in nutrition.

if you eat more calories than you use, you will gain weight.

Protein is in cheese, in eggs, in tofu, quorn and nuts, for example. Nuts are a fantastic way to take in calories easily and if you eat a varierty they will give you other nutrients you need. Cheese and nuts are also high in fat, which is good, albeit that at some point you need to consider cholesterol, but forget that for now.

To gain fat, the best advice is a balance of carbohydrates - potatoes, rice etc but you might just think about what you can take in at the moment, even if it is doughnuts, cake and cookies, high in sugar. Also, chocolate is a valuable food, especially when 'raw', as in not processed at high temperatures.

If you're having problems with appetite then also consider some of the 'complete' meal replacements, protein shakes etc, as well as smoothies.

Exercise if you can - it stimulates appetite.

Yeshe :)
Left
rose
Site Admin

Post by rose »

Ngawang recently lost her partner http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5702" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have moved this topic out of the Tibetan Medicine forum as many people seem to want to offer advice and the Tibetan Medicine forum has its own Guidelines.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Regards,
edearl

Post by edearl »

Fatty foods, such as cheddar cheese, nuts and butter, margarine, cream, and sour cream are highest in calories per weight of food. Sugars are fast and easy to digest. Fatty sweet foods, like brownies are some of both.

I wish I had your problem.
HHDL: "My confidence in venturing into science lies in my basic belief that as in science so in Buddhism, understanding the nature of reality is pursued by means of critical investigation: if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims."
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

Hi Laura.

I went through something similar when my mother passed away. There was so much to do, so much to worry about that my appetite failed completely and I lost thirty pounds in six weeks. For that to happen, most days my intake consisted a few cups of coffee, and a half sandwich or something every few days. Eventually I noticed I was losing too much too fast, so when the occaisional mild interest in food arose, I made sure to grab something rich and sweet like pastries or cakes. For me, that was the beginning of re-establishing regular eating habits.

Oh, and get your thyroid checked. Sixty pounds in six weeks would be impossible for most people even if they had nothing but water.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Assuming you don't exercise, use the link to find out how many calories you burn in one day. Then simply eat that amount and your weight will stay stable unless you're sick or something.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Btw, to gain/lose weight eat five hundred more/less calories per day to gain/lose one pound a week safely.

Return to “Alternative Health”