Comissioning Naga offering pujas

Discuss any health or dietary topics which lie outside mainstream Western medical thinking, from Ayurveda to Reiki.
Inge

Comissioning Naga offering pujas

Post by Inge »

Do you know how to comission Lamas to perform the Naga offering puja?

Do you know if the Naga Torma - Lutor - offered at http://monlam.org/moreprayers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a naga offering puja?
Josef

Re: Comissioning Naga offering pujas

Post by Josef »

You can learn to do these for yourself as well.
It would probably be better if you did.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Inge

Post by Inge »

Nangwa wrote:You can learn to do these for yourself as well.
It would probably be better if you did.
The practice for the naga booklet does not provide sufficient instructions for doing the practice, and I don't have someone to ask (no DC-group here in Norway). Are you familiar with this practice?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

You could try it here: http://www.monlam.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck.
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Inge wrote:Do you know how to comission Lamas to perform the Naga offering puja? Do you know if the Naga Torma - Lutor - offered at http://monlam.org/moreprayers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a naga offering puja?
Yes Lutor is an offering to the nagas usually performed to help overcome sickness and spirit interference but may also be done to appease local nagas if building in or moving to a new area or dwelling. There can be other reasons as well. Best not to do it yourself unless you have been advised by a Lama and even then you have to be careful to follow the prescribed method on the astrologically correct days. Not doing it properly can lead to increased harm.

You can write to Lamas or monasteries and request they perform the ritual on your behalf. There is an excellent puja by request service here:
http://kopanmonastery.com/pujas_request.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Tilopa wrote:
Inge wrote:Do you know how to comission Lamas to perform the Naga offering puja? Do you know if the Naga Torma - Lutor - offered at http://monlam.org/moreprayers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a naga offering puja?
Yes Lutor is an offering to the nagas usually performed to help overcome sickness and spirit interference but may also be done to appease local nagas if building in or moving to a new area or dwelling. There can be other reasons as well. Best not to do it yourself unless you have been advised by a Lama and even then you have to be careful to follow the prescribed method on the astrologically correct days. Not doing it properly can lead to increased harm.

You can write to Lamas or monasteries and request they perform the ritual on your behalf. There is an excellent puja by request service here:
http://kopanmonastery.com/pujas_request.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How would offerings made in Kopan appease the Nagas living under your house?
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Tilopa

Post by Tilopa »

Konchog1 wrote:How would offerings made in Kopan appease the Nagas living under your house?
How pujas work is a magical and mysterious aspect of Mahayana/Vajrayana practice somehow related to karma, interdependence and the power of the Dharma but it's hard to understand and explain so I don't really know the answer to your question. There are many things to take into account and the specific problem, type of puja, where it's done, when, by whom and how often are all relevant considerations. For certainty it's best to check with a qualified Lama. A puja performed in Nepal for a naga interference at your house in another country is not guaranteed to work as it might need to be done on site, but it often will.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I would reccomend you go find a lama to teach it to you.

It's actually quite a short and simple practice (the torma is a little strange, but not really complicated)

You don't have to get it from DC, all traditions do the practice (Hindus too).
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Inge

Post by Inge »

Tilopa wrote:You can write to Lamas or monasteries and request they perform the ritual on your behalf. There is an excellent puja by request service here:
Great, I did not know of this service. Thanks.
Inge

Post by Inge »

gregkavarnos wrote:I would reccomend you go find a lama to teach it to you.

It's actually quite a short and simple practice (the torma is a little strange, but not really complicated)

You don't have to get it from DC, all traditions do the practice (Hindus too).
That's an option I hadn't even considered. So thank you for that reccomendation.
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

Either that, or seek an empowerment and learn one of the Garuda sadhanas for dealing with Nagas, spirits, sicknesses etc.
Some are very powerful. ;)
Left
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Placation is always easier than attempting to overpower.

The weakest can easily placate even the strongest foe through offering.

Overpowering and destruction should always be the last options taken.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
Blue Garuda

Post by Blue Garuda »

gregkavarnos wrote:Placation is always easier than attempting to overpower.

Garuda practices offer those options. For example in the Multicoloured (rainbow) Garuda Yidam practice, after meditation wishing all beings may experience equanimity, loving kindness, compassion and joyfulness, there is the generation of special bodhichitta and the Nagas are offered care and refuge, and there is also the possibility of wrathful action, including action as Garuda Vajrapani.

Others, such as the Fire Sword of Black Garuda, contain both pacifying and wrathful mantras and actions. ;)
Left
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

We do Naga puja (along with Naga sang and Naga apology/amendment) at least once per month. In fact, we're doing Naga puja this afternoon. If anyone wants to make an offering for one of our regularly scheduled Naga pujas or wants to commission a special one, PM me. We can arrange something via Paypal.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Sherab Dorje wrote:Placation is always easier than attempting to overpower.

Sometimes, you have to straight to the nuclear option.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Malcolm wrote:Sometimes, you have to straight to the nuclear option.
In most cases people do not have a little red button to push so it's just not an option...

pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

I'll be doing Naga Amendment (from the Zung-du) at 5 PM today MDT. If anyone would like me to remember them or someone close to them, let me know by 4 PM MDT this afternoon. Happy to be of service.
buddhagirl

Post by buddhagirl »

pemachophel wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:55 pm We do Naga puja (along with Naga sang and Naga apology/amendment) at least once per month. In fact, we're doing Naga puja this afternoon. If anyone wants to make an offering for one of our regularly scheduled Naga pujas or wants to commission a special one, PM me. We can arrange something via Paypal.
Hi is this offer still valid?!! Are you part of a Dharma centre? thanks
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yes, we do Naga puja at least once a month. In fact, we just did it yesterday afternoon. Oct. 19, 21, 23, 24, 27, and 29 are all Lu-theb days this month. We won't do a full Naga puja again this month, but if you need me to, I can do Naga sang and/or Naga amendment on one of these days. You'd need to send me your details and requests. PM me here. I usually check DW 3x per day.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Sorry, I forgot to answer the second part of your question. Yes, I am the resident Lama for the Boulder Valley Ngakpa Center in Lafayette, CO.

BTW, yesterday, Chimechodra from DW attended our Naga puja. Nice to meet him and hope that he joins us again.

Return to “Alternative Health”