How Madhyamika Philosophy Solves the Mystery of Quantum Physics

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Kenneth Chan

Re: How Madhyamika Philosophy Solves the Mystery of Quantum Physics

Post by Kenneth Chan »

Wayfarer wrote:
Kenneth Chan wrote:Actually, it is not true that Madhyamika philosophy relies on supernatural considerations.
Are you familiar with the traditional account of how Nāgārjuna retrieved the Prajñāpāramitā Sutras?

In the traditional Bhavachakra (which I'm sure is orthodox for all Tibetan schools) where in relation to the 'six realms' are the Buddha and the Bodhisattvas depicted?
Kenneth Chan wrote:Lama Tsongkhapa's presentation of Madhyamaka also does not rely on the need to cite supernatural abilities.
I didn't say it was - but I think the presumption of a domain 'beyond nature' is intrinsic to Buddhism from the outset; 'emptiness' (śūnyatā) is a religious philosophy. (Which is why I don't believe that 'naturalised' versions of Buddhism, such as those of Owen Flanagan or Stephen Bachelor, hold up.)
You are missing my point. I am saying that the explanation and rationale of Madhyamaka philosophy does not rely on the need to cite supernatural considerations. I am not saying that Buddhism does not refer to supernatural phenomena. Recall that you made this statement:
Wayfarer wrote: So when it is argued that ordinary objects (pots, and the like) don't 'really exist', I think this ought to be understood as being informed by a philosophy which recognises other realms of being. Without that assumed background, then it makes no sense to question the reality of everyday objects, because there's nothing to compare 'the domain of ordinary experience' with.
This statement is simply incorrect.
Wayfarer wrote:
Kenneth Chan wrote:quantum physics actually provides evidence that the Madhyamaka view of reality is correct
Only insofar as QM undermines scientific realism and philosophical materialism. But the compatability with Buddhist philosophy, is also true of a number of forms of Eastern philosophy, not just Madhyamika. Physics itself has lead to major historical shift or turning-point in the 'Western' understanding or view of reality, which has developed into a crisis, and Buddhism certainly is able to address that crisis on a philosophical level.
Actually quantum mechanics does a lot more than just "undermine scientific realism and philosophical materialism." It actually corresponds very well with the Madhyamaka principle that all things are empty of inherent existence because they are dependently arisen. That is why I say it provides evidence that the Madhyamaka view of reality is correct.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Kenneth Chan wrote:It actually corresponds very well with the Madhyamaka principle that all things are empty of inherent existence because they are dependently arisen.
Well, you're saying the same thing here you said on Day One, so I will close by doing likewise:
Wayfarer wrote:we ought not to loose sight of the fact that quantum theory makes very exact predictions about many phenomena, which have enabled great technological progress, not least the computers on which you and I are conversing in this thread (let alone space travel, lasers, smartphones, GPS, atomic clocks, magnetic resonance imaging....the list goes on.) So, one could find out a lot about Madhyamika philosophy without however mastering the principles which make those discoveries possible.
:namaste:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Kenneth Chan

Post by Kenneth Chan »

Wayfarer wrote:
Kenneth Chan wrote:It actually corresponds very well with the Madhyamaka principle that all things are empty of inherent existence because they are dependently arisen.
Well, you're saying the same thing here you said on Day One, so I will close by doing likewise:
Wayfarer wrote:we ought not to loose sight of the fact that quantum theory makes very exact predictions about many phenomena, which have enabled great technological progress, not least the computers on which you and I are conversing in this thread (let alone space travel, lasers, smartphones, GPS, atomic clocks, magnetic resonance imaging....the list goes on.) So, one could find out a lot about Madhyamika philosophy without however mastering the principles which make those discoveries possible.
This exact predictability in the mathematical calculations of quantum mechanics just proves that the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics is correct. It does not at all explain why the mathematical formulation works (physicists have no idea why it works). It also does not explain why the conscious observer is involved. That mystery is solved by Madhyamika philosophy. Since you object to the word "solved," I'll rephrase it and say that that mystery is explained by Madhyamika philosophy. :smile:
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I'm not sure what that means: "beyond nature?"
Wayfarer wrote: I didn't say it was - but I think the presumption of a domain 'beyond nature' is intrinsic to Buddhism from the outset; 'emptiness' (śūnyatā) is a religious philosophy. (Which is why I don't believe that 'naturalised' versions of Buddhism, such as those of Owen Flanagan or Stephen Bachelor, hold up.)
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
boda

Post by boda »

Kenneth Chan wrote:This exact predictability in the mathematical calculations of quantum mechanics just proves that the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics is correct. It does not at all explain why the mathematical formulation works (physicists have no idea why it works). It also does not explain why the conscious observer is involved. That mystery is solved by Madhyamika philosophy. Since you object to the word "solved," I'll rephrase it and say that that mystery is explained by Madhyamika philosophy. :smile:
It's also explained by many-worlds and other theories.
Kenneth Chan

Post by Kenneth Chan »

boda wrote:
Kenneth Chan wrote:This exact predictability in the mathematical calculations of quantum mechanics just proves that the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics is correct. It does not at all explain why the mathematical formulation works (physicists have no idea why it works). It also does not explain why the conscious observer is involved. That mystery is solved by Madhyamika philosophy. Since you object to the word "solved," I'll rephrase it and say that that mystery is explained by Madhyamika philosophy. :smile:
No, it is not. (You have clearly not read my paper.) All these other interpretations are attempts at getting rid of the conscious observer. They all involve hypothetical ad hoc additions to the basic formulation of quantum mechanics, additions that are contrived purely for the purpose of negating the role of the observer. And all of these interpretations run into serious conceptual problems.

Let me quote here, from my paper, what the problems are, with respect to the many-worlds interpretation:

"The big disadvantage with this many-worlds interpretation is that, even with such an extravagant ad hoc addition, by hand, to the theory (i.e. infinite alternate universes), there still remains many unresolved problems. One problem is that the probability distribution provided by the expansion coefficients no longer apply; another problem is the unresolved question of what exactly causes the universe to split if it does not involve the observer; yet another problem is the unresolved question of how we determine the preferred basis for the splitting of the universe (and in fact, why there should even be a preferred basis at all, when there is no observer involved). In other words, it remains to be seen whether the many-worlds interpretation can ever resolve all these problems, and adequately explain quantum mechanics without involving the observer. It has definitely not succeeded yet."

And for your benefit, here is the first section of my paper (http://kenneth-chan.com/physics/direct- ... mechanics/) which discusses the situation with all these other interpretations of quantum mechanics:

1 Relativity and the Underlying Problem in Interpreting Quantum Mechanics

Even a whole century after the discovery of the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics, there is still no universally accepted and consistent interpretation of what the formulation actually means. Instead, we have a wide array of differing interpretations of quantum mechanics, requiring additional ad hoc hypothetical conditions, inserted by hand, in order to make the formulation fit the particular interpretation favored. The absence of a general acceptance of any of these interpretations means, also, that none of these interpretations are actually free of conceptual problems.

So what exactly is the underlying problem here? How is it that we cannot even interpret, consistently, the formulation of quantum mechanics that, together with the theory of relativity, forms the foundation of all modern physics?

What we plan to explore, in this paper, is the possibility that the problem of interpretation may not actually reside in the basic mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics itself. The problem of interpreting quantum mechanics may, in fact, reside in having to fit the formulation into the prevailing philosophical view of reality that physicists subscribe to. In other words, we are looking at the possibility that the prevailing philosophical view of reality may, in fact, be incorrect, and that this may be the actual cause of the problems in interpreting quantum mechanics.

Let us begin by looking at what the theory of relativity—which forms the other half of the foundation of modern physics—tells us about the nature of our reality. What the theory of relativity informs us is that our science is actually a science of how we experience the universe, and not a science of a universe “out there” that is independent of us as observers. This realization enables us to explain why the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference. Since this constancy of the speed of light is a crucial starting postulate in the theory of relativity, it means that, by acknowledging our science as a science of our experience, we can even explain, to a large extent, why the theory of relativity exists. (See "Why Relativity Exists" at http://kenneth-chan.com/physics/why-relativity-exists/.)

On reflection, it is evident that our science must be a science of what we experience because the very data that is used for the formulation of our scientific theories comes from measurements made by conscious observers. Our scientific theories cannot be based on data that is free of the conscious observer, because unobserved data means no data! So our science must be a science of our experience.

Now, if our science is a science of our experience and quantum mechanics reflects this experience by correctly describing what we find in our measurements, it follows logically that quantum mechanics provides important information about how we experience our reality. Quantum mechanics, at least to some extent, must be about the observer’s experience. This is reinforced by the fact that the very formulation of quantum mechanics is centered on the observer and the results of measurements by the observer. The role of the observer is, in fact, so pivotal in quantum mechanics that the whole formulation would not even make sense without the observer!

It is remarkable, then, that many physicists, instead of looking at what quantum mechanics tells us about our experience of reality, prefer to focus their efforts in trying to get rid of the observer. For more than a century now, physicists have repeatedly introduced new theoretical ideas to free quantum mechanics from the observer. As a result, there is now a whole array of interpretations of quantum mechanics, all aimed at negating the role of the observer, but with none of them fully succeeding in actually removing the observer.

It is time to correct, at least to some extent, this unbalanced situation by now studying what quantum mechanics actually tells us about how we experience the universe, as well as what it tells us about the nature of our reality. For this reason, we will here adopt a direct experiential interpretation of quantum mechanics.

What this means is that we will accept the reality that our science is a science of how we experience the universe, and not a science of a universe “out there” independent of us. We accept that the conscious observer necessarily plays a role in our science, and that quantum mechanics, in the first place, was formulated to fit the results of measurements made by the conscious observer. This, in fact, is not an assumption. It is actually the truth. We choose here not to battle against this truth but to simply accept it and see what we find. This is what we mean by a direct experiential interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Imagine the scenario if we had, earlier in history, adopted the same approach concerning relativity, and accepted that the scientific definitions of time and space were, in the first place, designed to fit how we, the conscious observers, experience these entities. Again this would not have been an assumption. It would be the truth since the scientific concepts of time and space were actually constructed, in the first place, to fit the conscious observer’s experience of them.

Now, if we had accepted this truth, and had learned that the physiological mechanisms of our body all run via electromagnetic transmission, we would, in fact, have been able to predict that the speed of light would always remain constant, relative to us, regardless of our state of motion. The direct experiential interpretation of the concepts of time and space would then have led to this falsifiable proposition. And we would have confirmed that this direct experiential interpretation did, in fact, correctly predict that the speed of light is constant relative to all frames of reference. In other words, theoretically, we could have predicted the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment even before it was performed if history had worked out differently! (See "Why Relativity Exists" at http://kenneth-chan.com/physics/why-relativity-exists/.)

So now let us apply a similar direct experiential interpretation to quantum mechanics and see what we can learn from it. We shall do this without invoking artificially added ad hoc conditions to the basic rules of quantum mechanics. In other words, we will adopt an interpretation that accepts directly what the formulation of quantum mechanics is telling us about the reality that we experience.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Matt J wrote:I'm not sure what that means: "beyond nature?"
Lokuttara
A technical term of the Abhidhamma. The earliest Buddhist literature describes four grades of saint, collectively known ask ‘nobles’ ( ariya ; Sanskrit: arya ): stream-enterer, once-returner, never-returner and Arahat . Having perfected the training in external morality (Sila ), all are free from the danger of an unpleasant rebirth. All have seen the Buddhist goal and are as a result free from doubt and opinion (Ditthi). In abhidhamma, lokuttara (Sanskrit: lokottara ) (literally ‘supramundane’, i.e. transcendent) refers to the type of consciousness, occurring initially as a momentary flash, which transforms the individual permanently into a ‘noble’. It is the culmination of Buddhist meditation practice (Bhavana ), uniting in a harmonious balance the two aspects of calm and insight. Lokuttara mind involves a direct realization of the unconditioned and, being quite free of any trace of defilement, cannot give rise to any attachment and necessarily erodes unskilful tendencies.
supramundane s(j)uːprəˈmʌndeɪn/
adjective
'transcending or superior to the physical world'.

transcendent
tranˈsɛnd(ə)nt,ˌtrɑːnˈsɛnd(ə)nt
adjective
'beyond or above the range of normal or physical human experience'.
"the search for a transcendent level of knowledge"
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
boda

Post by boda »

Kenneth Chan wrote:
boda wrote:
No, it is not. (You have clearly not read my paper.) ... And all of these interpretations run into serious conceptual problems.

If a theory was proven to be correct it wouldn't be a theory. Does your theory account for all the mysteries in quantum mechanics? What about, for instance, the mystery of quantum entanglement, where information appears to travel faster than light?
Kenneth Chan

Post by Kenneth Chan »

boda wrote:
Kenneth Chan wrote:
boda wrote: It's also explained by many-worlds and other theories.
No, it is not. (You have clearly not read my paper.) ... And all of these interpretations run into serious conceptual problems.
If a theory was proven to be correct it wouldn't be a theory. Does your theory account for all the mysteries in quantum mechanics? What about, for instance, the mystery of quantum entanglement, where information appears to travel faster than light?
The issue of quantum entanglement is discussed in the last section of my paper entitled "The Nature of the Quantum Wave Function" (http://kenneth-chan.com/physics/direct- ... cs/#Nature).

The purpose of my paper is to show that a direct experiential interpretation of quantum mechanics fits perfectly with the Madhyamaka view of reality, without the need for any additional ad hoc modifications to the basic formulation of quantum mechanics.

The main mystery it explains is why the formulation of quantum mechanics could not be interpreted by the physicists without running into all sorts of conceptual problems. That is because they insist on trying to fit the formulation into the philosophical framework of a mind-matter duality, and particularly, into the framework of materialism. The correct philosophical framework is actually that of Madhyamika philosophy. This also explains why the role of consciousness is crucial and indispensable in the basic formulation of quantum mechanics.

That is the mystery my paper explains. The paper is not intended as a solution to every single conceivable mystery in quantum physics.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Well sure, Buddhism transcends ordinary experience, because ordinary experience is deluded. We suffer, for example, change blindness and from dull mental clarity. We get absorbed in thoughts easily. But I have not encountered anything in Buddhism that doesn't turn out to have a direct experiential basis.
Wayfarer wrote:
Matt J wrote:I'm not sure what that means: "beyond nature?"
Lokuttara
A technical term of the Abhidhamma. The earliest Buddhist literature describes four grades of saint, collectively known ask ‘nobles’ ( ariya ; Sanskrit: arya ): stream-enterer, once-returner, never-returner and Arahat . Having perfected the training in external morality (Sila ), all are free from the danger of an unpleasant rebirth. All have seen the Buddhist goal and are as a result free from doubt and opinion (Ditthi). In abhidhamma, lokuttara (Sanskrit: lokottara ) (literally ‘supramundane’, i.e. transcendent) refers to the type of consciousness, occurring initially as a momentary flash, which transforms the individual permanently into a ‘noble’. It is the culmination of Buddhist meditation practice (Bhavana ), uniting in a harmonious balance the two aspects of calm and insight. Lokuttara mind involves a direct realization of the unconditioned and, being quite free of any trace of defilement, cannot give rise to any attachment and necessarily erodes unskilful tendencies.
supramundane s(j)uːprəˈmʌndeɪn/
adjective
'transcending or superior to the physical world'.

transcendent
tranˈsɛnd(ə)nt,ˌtrɑːnˈsɛnd(ə)nt
adjective
'beyond or above the range of normal or physical human experience'.
"the search for a transcendent level of knowledge"
--- Muriel Rukeyser
boda

Post by boda »

Kenneth Chan wrote:
boda wrote:
Kenneth Chan wrote: No, it is not. (You have clearly not read my paper.) ... And all of these interpretations run into serious conceptual problems.
The issue of quantum entanglement is discussed in the last section of my paper entitled "The Nature of the Quantum Wave Function" (http://kenneth-chan.com/physics/direct- ... cs/#Nature).

The purpose of my paper is to show that a direct experiential interpretation of quantum mechanics fits perfectly with the Madhyamaka view of reality, without the need for any additional ad hoc modifications to the basic formulation of quantum mechanics.

The main mystery it explains is why the formulation of quantum mechanics could not be interpreted by the physicists without running into all sorts of conceptual problems. That is because they insist on trying to fit the formulation into the philosophical framework of a mind-matter duality, and particularly, into the framework of materialism. The correct philosophical framework is actually that of Madhyamika philosophy. This also explains why the role of consciousness is crucial and indispensable in the basic formulation of quantum mechanics.

That is the mystery my paper explains. The paper is not intended as a solution to every single conceivable mystery in quantum physics.
Mysteries surrounding quantum entanglement are rather core. I couldn't find anything in your paper accounting for the issue I mentioned.
Kenneth Chan

Post by Kenneth Chan »

boda wrote:
Kenneth Chan wrote:
boda wrote: If a theory was proven to be correct it wouldn't be a theory. Does your theory account for all the mysteries in quantum mechanics? What about, for instance, the mystery of quantum entanglement, where information appears to travel faster than light?

Mysteries surrounding quantum entanglement are rather core. I couldn't find anything in your paper accounting for the issue I mentioned.
The last section of my paper addresses the issue of quantum entanglement. But in order to understand it, I am afraid you have to understand the earlier parts of the paper first.

The last section of my paper deals with quantum entanglement in an indirect way, but it does deal with it. If we can understand the delayed-choice quantum-eraser version of the double-slit experiment, the problem of quantum entanglement is also largely taken care of. Quantum entanglement is not the core issue in quantum physics. In fact, if we understand the nature of the quantum wave function, there is very little in quantum entanglement that is a real problem. What exactly is the problem you have with it?
boda

Post by boda »

Kenneth Chan wrote:
boda wrote:
Kenneth Chan wrote: The issue of quantum entanglement is discussed in the last section of my paper entitled "The Nature of the Quantum Wave Function" (http://kenneth-chan.com/physics/direct- ... cs/#Nature).

The last section of my paper addresses the issue of quantum entanglement. But in order to understand it, I am afraid you have to understand the earlier parts of the paper first.

The last section of my paper deals with quantum entanglement in an indirect way, but it does deal with it. If we can understand the delayed-choice quantum-eraser version of the double-slit experiment, the problem of quantum entanglement is also largely taken care of. Quantum entanglement is not the core issue in quantum physics. In fact, if we understand the nature of the quantum wave function, there is very little in quantum entanglement that is a real problem. What exactly is the problem you have with it?
I didn't say it was "the core issue." I mentioned, if you recall, the mystery in quantum entanglement, where information appears to travel faster than light.
Kenneth Chan

Post by Kenneth Chan »

Perhaps it would helpful for me to add this explanation: The core problem of quantum mechanics is not quantum entanglement. The core problem in quantum mechanics is what is known as the “measurement problem.” The measurement problem is basically this question: What exactly causes the collapse of the wave function? (What “collapse of the wave function” means is explained in detail in Section 2 of my paper: http://kenneth-chan.com/physics/direct- ... ormulation.)

All the different interpretations of quantum mechanics are basically different proposed ways of resolving this measurement problem, and all of them require additional ad hoc conditions, inserted by hand, to the basic formulation of quantum mechanics. But even with all these contrived additions to the basic formulation, none of these interpretations are able to solve the measurement problem without ending up with all sorts of conceptual difficulties.

The solution with Madhyamika philosophy, on the other hand, is strikingly simple, and requires no further ad hoc additions or modifications to the basic formulation of quantum mechanics—none whatsoever. This is because the collapse of the wave function is actually part of the central principle of Madhyamika philosophy, which is that all things are empty of inherent existence because they are dependently arisen. The process of the collapse of the wave function is simply the process of dependent arising! Once we recognize that, everything falls into place. It’s that simple!
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

The process of the collapse of the wave function is simply the process of dependent arising! Once we recognize that, everything falls into place. It’s that simple!
Ok, great.

So...now what?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Kenneth Chan

Post by Kenneth Chan »

smcj wrote:
The process of the collapse of the wave function is simply the process of dependent arising! Once we recognize that, everything falls into place. It’s that simple!
Ok, great.

So...now what?
It means that Madhyamika philosophy provides us with a consistent and direct interpretation of the formulation of quantum mechanics that is free of contradictions, and free of the need for further ad hoc hypothetical additions to the main formulation. This is something that the other interpretations could not do. So what this means is that there is now concrete scientific evidence that Madhyamika philosophy is correct.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

It means that Madhyamika philosophy provides us with a consistent and direct interpretation of the formulation of quantum mechanics that is free of contradictions, and free of the need for further ad hoc hypothetical additions to the main formulation. This is something that the other interpretations could not do. So what this means is that there is now concrete scientific evidence that Madhyamika philosophy is correct.
Ok. So how are going to implement this?
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Kenneth Chan

Post by Kenneth Chan »

smcj wrote:
Ok. So how are going to implement this?
The benefit of this is that it will encourage people to look more closely at Buddhism, and also hopefully encourage those who are not already on the spiritual path to eventually embark on it. This, I believe, was also the purpose of the recent conference on "Quantum Physics and Madhyamika Philosophical View" that was presided by His Holiness, the Dalai Lama.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

This, I believe, was also the purpose of the recent conference on "Quantum Physics and Madhyamika Philosophical View" that was presided by His Holiness, the Dalai Lama.
It would be interesting to hear HHDL's introductory and concluding remarks on the subject. Any links to it?
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

Last time I tried, most of these didn't work, but:

https://livestream.com/DalaiLamaEnglish/quantum
smcj wrote:
This, I believe, was also the purpose of the recent conference on "Quantum Physics and Madhyamika Philosophical View" that was presided by His Holiness, the Dalai Lama.
It would be interesting to hear HHDL's introductory and concluding remarks on the subject. Any links to it?
--- Muriel Rukeyser

Return to “Academic Discussion”