Analysis of the poetic works of Asvaghosa hints at possible Sautrantika-Yogacara relationship prior to Vasubandhu

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Sentient Light

Analysis of the poetic works of Asvaghosa hints at possible Sautrantika-Yogacara relationship prior to Vasubandhu

Postby Sentient Light » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:43 pm

http://journals.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/index.php/jiabs/issue/view/1056

This is a really compelling argument, but it's clear that the researcher only started down the path at this time. This was 13-14 years ago. Has any new research come to light?

It honestly makes pretty good sense to me. I never saw much, if any, issues with Vasubandhu's "Sravakayana" work. I also think that this lends a HUGE amount of credence to the traditional assertion that Asvaghosa authored the Awakening of the Faith, so if it is true.. I mean, if was a tradition that existed within the Sarvastivada for some time before it was systematized, it's no longer much of a leap of faith to think that Asvaghosa, who composed these many beautiful "Sravakayana" kavya poems to have written the Awakening of the Faith, especially if "Handsome Nanda" was so heavily utilizing the Yogacarabhumi as a textual reference (which the above article seems to make a very strong case for).

Any thoughts?
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

Return to “Academic Discussion”