Classes of Beings - interested in information

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
ThreeVows

Classes of Beings - interested in information

Post by ThreeVows »

I recently read through Mipham's Khenjuk (Gateway to Knowledge). In volume 2, he describes the various realms of being, which are also categorized elsewhere.

He says, in short, that the pleasures/pains/characteristics/etc of the different beings in these different realms can be found in other sources.

Does anyone know of any of these other sources available in English?

In short, I am interested in a description of the distinguishing characteristics of the beings in the different realms. By this I mean more than simply categorizing beings into the 6 broad realms (gods, asuras, humans, etc) but rather a description of the entire 31 planes/sub planes, etc.

I came across a book called "Three Worlds According to King Ruang: A Thai Buddhist Cosmology" which seems a bit promising - has anyone read this? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Respectfully, I would ask that people not post responses along the lines of, "Why does this matter? Just focus on your practice." I'm simply interested in this information.

Thank you for any input.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
MiphamFan

Re: Classes of Beings - interested in information

Post by MiphamFan »

Mipham's Gateway to Knowledge is basically a condensation of Abhidharma so basically you would want to read the Abhidharmasamuccaya or the Abhidharmakosa for more info.

Both of them go into the different levels of heavens and hells, lifespans of beings there, sufferings they go through ,etc
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

MiphamFan wrote:Mipham's Gateway to Knowledge is basically a condensation of Abhidharma so basically you would want to read the Abhidharmasamuccaya or the Abhidharmakosa for more info.

Both of them go into the different levels of heavens and hells, lifespans of beings there, sufferings they go through ,etc
I have the Abhidharmasamuccaya and although I have only read parts of it and skimmed others, I don't think it has what I'm looking for. It has a classification of, for example, noble beings that is more extensive than the Khenjuk, but the presentation of the various classes/types of sentient beings seems actually a bit less extensive. For example, the devas of the realm of 33, the 4 kings, the various types of formless brahmas, are simply named but not described, best I can tell.

I am looking for descriptions of these classes - for example, descriptions of the realm of the 33, descriptions of the realm of control of others' emanations, descriptions of the various form realms such as all beauty or great fruit, etc. The Khenjuk has a bit in that it describes what is present in the different realms in terms of senses, etc.

I don't see anything such as "the different levels of heavens and hells, lifespans of beings there, sufferings they go through ,etc" in the AS.

I will look into the Abhidharmakosa.

Thank you.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Stefos

Post by Stefos »

Hi Seeker,

The "Mountain Dharma" of Karma Chakme discusses "fringe" things even more so than you'll find in
Tibetan Buddhist texts.
I recommend you pick it up as it discusses other classes of beings.
There is a Karma Kagyu center near Woodstock, NY which sells all 5 volumes....volume 5 is in Tibetan.
The other 4 are more or less a selection of the entire 3 or 4 year "Mountain Dharma" teachings.

Also, There is a book at the same Karma Kagyu center mentioned above written by a Russian which speaks about these beings too.

You can find it there on their website.

Stefos

P.s. Not so easy to find this information readily available is it? :)

Blessings.....Sarva Mangalam
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

There is a whole chapter on this in Pabonka's Liberation in your Hand.
But alot of what your talking about comes from different sutras and I'm not sure if they have ever been consolidated.If it hasn't been done yet, it is definitely a worthy project!
accesstoinsight.org is great for this type of thing!
Stefos

Post by Stefos »

Fortyeightvows wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 am There is a whole chapter on this in Pabonka's Liberation in your Hand.
But alot of what your talking about comes from different sutras and I'm not sure if they have ever been consolidated.If it hasn't been done yet, it is definitely a worthy project!
accesstoinsight.org is great for this type of thing!
Which chapter of "Liberation in your hand?"

Stefos

P.S. I would take a LOT of work to do this from the Tibetan Buddhist standpoint my friend.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Stefos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:56 am Which chapter of "Liberation in your hand?"
The section on the higher realms is in the teachings on the 'middle scope'
Stefos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:56 am P.S. I would take a LOT of work to do this from the Tibetan Buddhist standpoint my friend.
Thats what makes it a worthy project. I don't think the tibetans made up their own, pretty sure it's the same across the board

Return to “Academic Discussion”