Tibetan parallel to Satipatthana sutta et al

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Javierfv1212

Tibetan parallel to Satipatthana sutta et al

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Is there one?

From reading Sujato's "History of mindfulness" I know that there is 'satipatthana material' in various Tibetan texts (large prajnaparamita, Yogacarabhumi, Abhidharma-samuccaya). However he does not mention a standalone Tibetan parallel.

Analayo in his study of the various recensions does not mention any either, focusing mainly on the Chinese material.

Other than these sources, I haven't been able to find anything else on this.

There is the ''Saddharma Smṛtyupasthāna Sūtra'', but according to wikipedia,
There does exist in Tibetan translation a "Saddharma Smṛtyupasthāna Sūtra" (dam pa'i chos dran pa nye bar bzhag pa'i mdo//dampé chödren panyé barzhak pé do) but this is a very large early Mahayana sutra and is an entirely different text
This book mentions a ''Smṛtyupasthāna Sūtra'' (mDo dran.pa nyer.gzhag), but I am not sure if it is referring to the same as above:
https://books.google.com/books?id=zDGN9 ... e&q&f=true

So, does anyone know if there is a parallel Tibetan text to the Pali Satipatthana sutta and if so where is it found?
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/
dzoki

Re: Tibetan parallel to Satipatthana sutta et al

Post by dzoki »

Javierfv1212 wrote: So, does anyone know if there is a parallel Tibetan text to the Pali Satipatthana sutta and if so where is it found?
I don´t think there is. Majority of hinayana material in Tibetan cannon comes from Sarvastivadin Sanskrit cannon, though they did add a small portion of material from Pali cannon later on. Tibetan cannon is let´s say a window into original Indian buddhist textual collections. This is partly due to geographic obstacles, partly due to time limit when Dharma was transmitted to Tibet from India, partly due to some unfortunate sectarian decissions made by Tibetan rulers and nobility supporting the effort of bringing Dharma to Tibet.

Return to “Academic Discussion”