how much does chicago style change?

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Fortyeightvows

how much does chicago style change?

Post by Fortyeightvows »

The newest 17th edition just came out this month, I know we have some rel majors on here who may know, is it any different from the last version?
It seems like a new one comes out almost every five years or so: a question for the old timers, has the citation style changed over the years?
Fortyeightvows

Re: how much does chicago style change?

Post by Fortyeightvows »

one follow up question: does anthropology use chicago style too? It seems like some anthropology books, ethnographic books etc use chicago while others use a style that looks like APA or MLA?
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

In another lifetime I was once a graduate student who dabbled in ethnomusicology and we used
Chicago exclusively. Now, as far as changes in the latest edition is concerned, that I happily have to say
I have no idea.
Shaun
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

chicago style is more or less inedible

more like a casserole than a pizza, really

Da Bearsssss
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

I think I usually go with MLA. Not sure about Chicago style. I just remember that when everyone went from two spaces after a period to one I was shocked.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

Responding to my own post here, but I was looking at a book published in 1958 and I found that the footnotes at the bottom of each page begin at the number 1. Instead of starting the footnotes numbers at 1 only at the beginning of a chapter as it seems people do now.

Return to “Academic Discussion”