Vampires?

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
MatthewAngby

Vampires?

Post by MatthewAngby »

are there any vampires in Buddhism. The ones that we see in movies like fright night , the Victorian themed vampires with their royal masquerades . Do they belong to any of the 8 classes of non human beings or are they something else?
    Sentient Light

Re: Vampires?

Post by Sentient Light »

Most historians, I believe, posit that western vampire lore manifested from observations of a particular kind (or multiple different kinds) of disease/infection that simulates some of the mythic symptoms.

There are "Chinese vampires", but this is just a weird English translation for the folklore entity described, which is far closer to being like a western revenant than a western vampire. In general, Asia does have its fair share of "undead" creatures in its various folklores, but nothing that really resembles western vampires by any stretch of imagination, and I don't think that the undead--assuming for the moment these things might actually exist in some form--actually qualify as sentient beings in samsara. Most of the creatures I'm aware of are more like automated re-animations of bodies, typically under the control of a sorcerer/witch doctor/whatever you wanna call it.
    :buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
    :bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
    :bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
    :bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
    :bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:

Return to “Academic Discussion”