Taishō Citations

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Coëmgenu

Taishō Citations

Post by Coëmgenu » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:11 am

I know how to follow this: T30.1564.3.19c20

It cites 問曰。諸法各有性。from the Mūlamadhyamakaśāstra, or Zhōng Lùn.

How does one follow a citation like this: Chung-lun, T3.33b11-12?

When I go to T30 scroll 3 I find the text ending on a page 29, not 33? How am I reading the citation wrong?

The passage being cited with T3.33b11-12 is actually on scroll 4. Why is it not cited as T4.33b11-12?
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

Coëmgenu

Re: Taishō Citations

Post by Coëmgenu » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:43 pm

Coëmgenu wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:11 am
I know how to follow this: T30.1564.3.19c20

It cites 問曰。諸法各有性。from the Mūlamadhyamakaśāstra, or Zhōng Lùn.

How does one follow a citation like this: Chung-lun, T3.33b11-12?

When I go to T30 scroll 3 I find the text ending on a page 29, not 33? How am I reading the citation wrong?

The passage being cited with T3.33b11-12 is actually on scroll 4. Why is it not cited as T4.33b11-12?
In relation to the above, there is an issue with scroll # versus volume #. How does one tell which one is being used?
नस्वातो नापिपरतो नद्वाभ्यां नाप्यहेतुतः उत्पन्ना जातु विद्यन्ते भावाः क्वचन केचन
There absolutely are no things, nowhere and none, that arise anew, neither out of themselves, nor out of non-self, nor out of both, nor at random.
सर्वं तथ्यं न वा तथ्यं तथ्यं चातथ्यम् एव च नैवातथ्यं नैव तथ्यम् एतद् बुद्धानुशासनम्
All is so, or all is not so, both so and not so, neither so nor not so. This is the Buddha's teaching.

一切實非實亦實亦非實
非實非非實是名諸佛法

Return to “Academic Discussion”