Artificial intelligence, the Buddhist model of mind and enlightened behaviour

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
dharmafootsteps

Artificial intelligence, the Buddhist model of mind and enlightened behaviour

Post by dharmafootsteps »

This short paper covers what I think is an interesting, and potentially fruitful topic: http://myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~stli/www/teac ... ddhist.pdf

Having a better education in AI than I do in Buddhist philosophy however, I wondered how accurate this particular representation of mind, and particularly of enlightenment and enlightened behaviour is from the Buddhist perspective. It feels rather simplified to me, would anyone with more expertise care to comment?
SunWuKong

Re: Artificial intelligence, the Buddhist model of mind and enlightened behaviour

Post by SunWuKong »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 pm This short paper covers what I think is an interesting, and potentially fruitful topic: http://myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~stli/www/teac ... ddhist.pdf

Having a better education in AI than I do in Buddhist philosophy however, I wondered how accurate this particular representation of mind, and particularly of enlightenment and enlightened behaviour is from the Buddhist perspective. It feels rather simplified to me, would anyone with more expertise care to comment?
What is your timeline?

How do you define sentience?

How do you deal with heuristic processes?

My discipline for applying Zazen to daily activity is in the field of 2D and 3D design, and I am open to the idea that machines can develop sentience, however my only area of expertise is if they can do what I do. We don’t sit around gazing at navels, we chop wood and carry water.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Artificial intelligence, the Buddhist model of mind and enlightened behaviour

Post by Grigoris »

dharmafootsteps wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 pm This short paper covers what I think is an interesting, and potentially fruitful topic: http://myweb.ncku.edu.tw/~stli/www/teac ... ddhist.pdf

Refer to this discussion.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Academic Discussion”