Avatamsaka Sutra: Why So Rare?

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Dharma Flower

Avatamsaka Sutra: Why So Rare?

Post by Dharma Flower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:22 am

Why is Thomas Clearly's translation of the Flower Garland Sutra one of the only English versions available? Is its language difficult to translate or is it just very long?

Dharma Flower

Re: Avatamsaka Sutra: Why So Rare?

Post by Dharma Flower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:19 am

Another thing I am curious about is why English translations of the Mahayana Nirvana Sutra are so rare as well.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:00 am

Dharma Flower wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:22 am
Why is Thomas Clearly's translation of the Flower Garland Sutra one of the only English versions available? Is its language difficult to translate or is it just very long?
Yeah there’s not many translations. It is lengthy. 1600 pages long. City of 10,000 Buddha’s is sponsoring a new translation. See Wikipedia
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:57 pm

SunWuKong wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:00 am
Dharma Flower wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:22 am
[...] It is lengthy. [...]
Yup.
世尊在靈山會上拈華示眾眾皆默然唯迦葉破顏微笑世尊云
The Lord dwelt at the Vulture Peak with the assembly and plucked a flower as a teaching. The myriad totality were silent, save for Kāśyapa, whose face cracked in a faint smile. The Lord spoke.
吾有正法眼藏涅槃妙心實相無相微妙法門不立文字教外別傳付囑摩訶迦葉。
I have the treasure of the true dharma eye, I have nirvāṇa as wondrous citta, I know signless dharmatā, the subtle dharma-gate, which is not standing on written word, which is external to scriptures, which is a special dispensation, which is entrusted to Mahākāśyapa.

नस्वातोनापिपरतोनद्वाभ्यांनाप्यहेतुतः
उत्पन्नाजातुविद्यन्तेभावाःक्वचनकेचन

Return to “Academic Discussion”