Helpful Devadatta?

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
Tenma

Helpful Devadatta?

Post by Tenma »

Sentient Light

Re: Helpful Devadatta?

Post by Sentient Light »

That's a pretty weird conclusion, but the bit about Christians being confused for worshippers of Devadatta is a common legend. To my knowledge, it is untrue. The king of Thailand actually ordered a Roman Catholic monastery built for the first Christian missionaries in the 16th century, mostly serving a substantial Portuguese trading community that resided in Siam. When the Protestant missionaries arrived in the 19th century though, it was decreed that Christian teachings could not be propagated in Thai or Pali. If there's any truth to the Devadatta story, it would likely be around this time period, but Christianity had already existed in Siam for 300 years at this point.

Even if there were truth to it, I'm not sure if I'd say that because of it, Devadatta "saved" Buddhism (there's no real indication that Buddhism was ever really threatened by Christian missionaries).
:buddha1: Nam mô A di đà Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Quan Thế Âm Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Đại Thế Chi Bồ Tát :bow:

:buddha1: Nam mô Bổn sư Thích ca mâu ni Phật :buddha1:
:bow: Nam mô Di lặc Bồ tát :bow:
:bow: Nam mô Địa tạng vương Bồ tát :bow:
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

:ban:
Sentient Light wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:54 pm That's a pretty weird conclusion, but the bit about Christians being confused for worshippers of Devadatta is a common legend. To my knowledge, it is untrue. The king of Thailand actually ordered a Roman Catholic monastery built for the first Christian missionaries in the 16th century, mostly serving a substantial Portuguese trading community that resided in Siam. When the Protestant missionaries arrived in the 19th century though, it was decreed that Christian teachings could not be propagated in Thai or Pali. If there's any truth to the Devadatta story, it would likely be around this time period, but Christianity had already existed in Siam for 300 years at this point.

Even if there were truth to it, I'm not sure if I'd say that because of it, Devadatta "saved" Buddhism (there's no real indication that Buddhism was ever really threatened by Christian missionaries).
Meh. Well, looks like he'll have to be prayed as he has not earned merit.
Still, it's better than one source I once found in a Christian university. Unfortunately, my Samsung phone pictures are too big for Dharmawheel, but in this world religion book, it claimed that Devadatta was reborn in the Middle East as Muhammad. I am not kidding about this statement(but then again, it just said that's what the sutras say without citing the sutra).
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

One more thing, do actual Devadatta followers still exist today?
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Hey I really like devdutt's website, regardless of the merits of that particular article. He seems a really interesting dude.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi

Return to “Academic Discussion”