Enquiry about UBNU United Buddhist Nations University of organization UBNO

A forum for those wishing to discuss Buddhist history and teachings in the Western academic manner, referencing appropriate sources.
andre213

Enquiry about UBNU United Buddhist Nations University of organization UBNO

Post by andre213 »

I am Andy, 36 year old born and brought up in USA currently based in California. I am in the field of marketing and have been traveling around America for the same.
I am interested in studying Zen. I researched online for Zen organizations & found UBNO United Buddhist Nations Organization based from Buenos Aires and its UBNU United Buddhist Nations University, headquartered in Japan,

Both organization and University is headed by an Argentinian Rector Master Maitreya Samyaksambuddha.

Does anyone know of this university and its Rector? Are these courses recognized by Buddhist fraternity? Is UBNU internationally acredited by any known body? Has anyone got a certificate from them for display?

I want to enroll in courses they offer like
Doctor of Buddhist Zen, Buddhist Doctor in meditation, Buddhist Doctor in Theravada, PhD in Integral Buddhism, Buddhist Doctor in Religion, Buddhist Doctor in Ethics.
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Enquiry about UBNU United Buddhist Nations University of organization UBNO

Post by Wayfarer »

Hi Andre, and welcome to Dharma Wheel. I hadn’t heard anything about this organisation up until about 2 minutes ago, when I read your post, but reading it sets off a number of red lights for me, without even googling the organisation in question. For instance, the ‘masters’ name basically translates into ‘one who has attained the station of buddhahood by his own efforts’. And the degrees mentioned sound very much like mail-order PhD’s.

There are many reputable Buddhist organisations that now have online teaching. And if you’re still in California, there are very many reputable Buddhist organisations that teach there. Obviously I don’t know anything about this group, but it sounds bogus to me, sorry to have to say.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

OK, googled.
Master Maitreya has professionally graduated as University Teacher, Integral Counsellor, Psychoanalyst, Social Psychologist, International Political Scientist, Sociologist of education, Sustainable Social Economist, Philosophical Anthropologist of Education, Intercultural Social Mediator, Extrajudicial Conciliator, International Arbitrator, Judge of Peace, Restorative Justice practitioner, Political Social Philosopher, Comparative Metaphysical Philosopher, and Transpersonal Therapist. Master Maitreya has graduated as Human Rights Defender, Constitutionalist, Criminologist, International Criminal Law Jurist, Indigenous Environmental Jurist, Ecologist, Citizen’s Defender, Environmental Defender, Legal Secretariat, Political Journalist, Conflictologist, Peacebuilder, Universal Historian, Diplomatic, Ethicist, Bioethicist, Emotional Intelligence Master, Cooperative Educator, Social Work Assistant, Social Inclusion Agent, Therapeutic Companion, Gender Equality Technician, Bachelor in Social Science and Humanities, and Egyptologist. Moreover, he is graduated as Expert in Legal Studies and Public Health.
:woohoo:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
passel

Post by passel »

No way.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
aishlar

Post by aishlar »

I looked this up

H.E. Master Maitreya Samyaksambuddha :shrug:

Let me break down the name for you

H.E. - His Excellency - This shows Mana or pride. No matter what Buddhist text you follow Abhidharma or Theravada, it will teach that arrogance and pride are illnesses of the mind

Maitreya - Is the reincarnation of Buddha in the current times.

Samyaksambuddha - Is someone who has attained nirvana (there is a lot more to this)

So yes the claim of being the promised Buddha goes a long way in explaining the trait of a teacher which lacks humility

Now, there is nothing wrong on calling oneself H.E. Buddha himself and presiding over a university with rate card without classrooms or any qualifications or lineage whatsoever or anything remotely close to zen or Buddhist values. Some people may choose to do business in the name of Buddha and that’s a moral wrongdoing.

But let's put attention to other things that you asked for.

International Buddhist Ethics Committee & Buddhist Tribunal on Human Rights

These 2 organizations are affiliated to the same university via United Buddhist Nations Organization (buddhistnations-gov.net) registered in 2017

Starting with the domain you can say this site has been created to falsely promote the university as a GOVERNMENT unit.

They conduct trials on individuals for reasons ranging from war crimes to un Buddha-like behavior.

The Tribunal

buddhistcourt-gov.net - A domain registered in 2017

This tribunal - uses a proton mail id and claims to be a legal body that has rights internationally to prosecute anyone it deems fit from United Nations to World Leaders to a common man

They send out notices in legal language accusing vaguely of things like waging war, fraud, and 100s of such things with a threat to malign and defame people. Which Buddhist in his right mind would do this

Just look at some of the cases online and you would see so many cases posted on educational portals and academia.

If they get offended by you, they will put a case on you :) I am doing this at the cost of being at the receiving end of one such notice

Above all, the cases are judged by Mr. H.E. himself - Now if that's not a fair trial, then what is?

So to answer your questions - As someone who has devoted her life to meditation, I can tell you don’t waste your time on this. There is no university, there are no classes and there is a massive scam of scaring people with -gov in the urls

Put that money to buy a big tub of ice cream and stare at it instead :yinyang:
DewachenVagabond

Post by DewachenVagabond »

aishlar wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:07 pm I looked this up

H.E. Master Maitreya Samyaksambuddha :shrug:

Let me break down the name for you

H.E. - His Excellency - This shows Mana or pride. No matter what Buddhist text you follow Abhidharma or Theravada, it will teach that arrogance and pride are illnesses of the mind

Maitreya - Is the reincarnation of Buddha in the current times.

Samyaksambuddha - Is someone who has attained nirvana (there is a lot more to this)

So yes the claim of being the promised Buddha goes a long way in explaining the trait of a teacher which lacks humility

Now, there is nothing wrong on calling oneself H.E. Buddha himself and presiding over a university with rate card without classrooms or any qualifications or lineage whatsoever or anything remotely close to zen or Buddhist values. Some people may choose to do business in the name of Buddha and that’s a moral wrongdoing.

But let's put attention to other things that you asked for.

International Buddhist Ethics Committee & Buddhist Tribunal on Human Rights

These 2 organizations are affiliated to the same university via United Buddhist Nations Organization (buddhistnations-gov.net) registered in 2017

Starting with the domain you can say this site has been created to falsely promote the university as a GOVERNMENT unit.

They conduct trials on individuals for reasons ranging from war crimes to un Buddha-like behavior.

The Tribunal

buddhistcourt-gov.net - A domain registered in 2017

This tribunal - uses a proton mail id and claims to be a legal body that has rights internationally to prosecute anyone it deems fit from United Nations to World Leaders to a common man

They send out notices in legal language accusing vaguely of things like waging war, fraud, and 100s of such things with a threat to malign and defame people. Which Buddhist in his right mind would do this

Just look at some of the cases online and you would see so many cases posted on educational portals and academia.

If they get offended by you, they will put a case on you :) I am doing this at the cost of being at the receiving end of one such notice

Above all, the cases are judged by Mr. H.E. himself - Now if that's not a fair trial, then what is?

So to answer your questions - As someone who has devoted her life to meditation, I can tell you don’t waste your time on this. There is no university, there are no classes and there is a massive scam of scaring people with -gov in the urls

Put that money to buy a big tub of ice cream and stare at it instead :yinyang:
Just a couple of minor corrections: The HE title isn't immediately suspect. It is a common title in Vajrayana, although I'm pretty sure it only started being used once Tibetan Buddhism was introduced to the Western world and it isn't really a title someone chooses for themselves.

By reincarnation of Buddha I assume you mean reincarnation of Sakyamuni Buddha. This is not true. Maitreya is one of the Buddhas of the 3 times (past, present and future). Dipamkara is the past Buddha, Sakyamuni is the Buddha of the present, and Maitreya is the future Buddha. And not just the Buddha of the near future or something. Maitreya isn't supposed to become a Buddha for something like 5 billion years.

To OP: occasionally a Maitreya-claimant pops up in the Buddhist world. It is a really good sign that that someone is full of shit and to be avoided. In addition to what everyone else has said, it is immediately apparent that this is someone you probably don't want to be around or learn anything from. The number of degrees supposedly earned is preposterous. No one could earn that many degrees in 3 lives, let alone one. The degrees offered at this "university" sound unlikely as well. The posing as a governmental institution, the tribunal and trial by "H.E. Maitreya Samyaksambuddha" is especially concerning. As mentioned before, there are lots of authentic Buddhist organizations in California and online that would be happy to train you.
:bow: :buddha1: :bow: :anjali: :meditate:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I think we can close this one now.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Academic Discussion”