Master Hsuan Hua on garlic, onions, etc.

Fortyeightvows

Re: Master Hsuan Hua on garlic, onions, etc.

Post by Fortyeightvows »

If we are to become seroius buddhist practicioners, at some point, we must attempt to rid ourselves of these likes and dislikes.
attachment, aversion, amitabha
no preferance and one taste.
this is taught both among the ordained and is also taught in the practice of tsog.

a great buddhist teacher, cites an ancient buddhist text and even now the teaching is being discussed. i could be off the mark but it seems like alot of attachment comes up.
the whole things seems like a sort teaching to me.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Simon E. wrote:Well said.. :namaste:
Well said but not actually followed...
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
dzogchungpa

Post by dzogchungpa »

The five pungent plants are really terrible, aren't they?
There is not only nothingness because there is always, and always can manifest. - Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

It probably doesn't need to be the priority of one's practice, but it is worth admitting that they may not be the best. I don't abstain from them personally because it's just far too inconvenient, and I haven't taken the Bodhisattva precepts, but I can notice a difference when I'm living long term in the monastery. They choose the food very carefully.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

dzogchungpa wrote:The five pungent plants are really terrible, aren't they?
Some people consider breaking precepts to be terrible yes. :smile:
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

There is a balance of subtle energy between the body and mind in normal individuals. As meditators, we want to shift this subtle energy more into the mind from the body (this is achieved by meditation and yoga). Eating garlic and onions cause the subtle energies of the mind to drain into the body and towards the lower parts of the body (such as the genitals). This means we have less subtle energy in the mind.

Eating plants like these cause people to be excitable (usually in a sexual manner). Because it drains energy from the mind, the mind goes into dull states during meditation.

Best to avoid all these types of foods such as garlic and onion. Things like tea, coffee, alcohol, and chocolate have the same effect so its good if they are avoided too.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah

Return to “Chan”