Yi Jing Jing excersises

kalden yungdrung

Yi Jing Jing excersises

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek Chan members,

Are the movements, shown in the undermentioned link, for you well-known maybe ?
I thought, that these movements or exercises were practised in Chan Buddhism, but i could be wrong.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=20273

Mutsug Marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
Meido

Re: Yi Jing Jing excersises

Post by Meido »

kalden yungdrung wrote: Are the movements, shown in the undermentioned link, for you well-known maybe ?
I thought, that these movements or exercises were practised in Chan Buddhism, but i could be wrong.
Not a Chan person here. But my guess is you'd likely find some Chan folks who practice these simply because the Yijin Jing is so well-known generally.

However, Chan and Zen are best approached as collections of related teaching lines, rather than as "schools" with consistent practice syllabi. One can therefore find a variety of different supportive practices depending on where you go.

A modern example of this sort of thing is the 8-Form Moving Meditation taught by the late Chan master Sheng-yen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl78LH5R9k8

~ Meido
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

kalden yungdrung wrote:Tashi delek Chan members,

Mutsug Marro
KY

In the martial arts world, Yang Wing Ming has been teaching and popularizing internal and external qigong for a long time. It's worth checking out a few of his books. IIRC Wing Ming says that it was mostly the Daoists who were better about preservation of the qigong methods..including Buddhist ones, ironically.

Not like I have a ton of experience with Zen or Chan, but it was my impression these have not been a part of most people's Zen or Chan practice for a long time, since they are attributed to Bodhidharma though, there's the link. I'm interested to know also if modern Zen/Chan folks practice these, and if so what space they occupy in people's daily practice.

This book is quite good:

http://ymaa.com/files/ISBN841.pdf

It has exercises as well as line by line commentary of the internal and external classics.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
kalden yungdrung

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote:Tashi delek Chan members,

Mutsug Marro
KY
In the martial arts world, Yang Wing Ming has been teaching and popularizing internal and external qigong for a long time. It's worth checking out a few of his books. IIRC Wing Ming says that it was mostly the Daoists who were better about preservation of the qigong methods..including Buddhist ones, ironically.[/quot
I thought also that these Yi Jing Jing exercises were / are practiced by Shaolin monks. So here we can have a Taoist - Buddhist form of bodily movements.But like told before the visualisation of the Chi is a great difference between Taoist and Buddhist Yoga. Also remarkable is the producing and working with the saliva, in Taoism , causing a certain elixer.That is not so well-known in Buddhist yoga, but i could be wrong here......

Not like I have a ton of experience with Zen or Chan, but it was my impression these have not been a part of most people's Zen or Chan practice for a long time, since they are attributed to Bodhidharma though, there's the link. I'm interested to know also if modern Zen/Chan folks practice these, and if so what space they occupy in people's daily practice.
I guess that both Chinese Traditions < Taism and Chan are mixed, to a certain degree. The Pa Kua is certainly Taoism and integrated in many Buddhist traditions.But also the Wu Chi has many resemblances with Rigpa , used in Dzogchen.Yin and Yang are born indirectly by the Wu Chi.Yin and Yang is also known in Buddhism as dualisms.

kalden yungdrung

Meido wrote:
kalden yungdrung wrote: Are the movements, shown in the undermentioned link, for you well-known maybe ?
Not a Chan person here. But my guess is you'd likely find some Chan folks who practice these simply because the Yijin Jing is so well-known generally.

However, Chan and Zen are best approached as collections of related teaching lines, rather than as "schools" with consistent practice syllabi. One can therefore find a variety of different supportive practices depending on where you go.

A modern example of this sort of thing is the 8-Form Moving Meditation taught by the late Chan master Sheng-yen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl78LH5R9k8
Yes there is from the Yi JIng Jing style also a Toait style / form. But this is different in comparison to the Buddhist style of |Bodhidhamma / Da Lu.
The difference can be seen in many ways because Toaism deals different with the Chi and the fruit (of the practice).

~ Meido
Techno Yogi

Post by Techno Yogi »

I have learned the movements described as part of a Daoist qigong form.

The teachers acknowledged the claim that these were invented by Bodhidharma, but said that they were actually originally Daoist in origin. I've no idea which claim is true, or if this form is still (or was ever) practiced by Shaolin monks. Many of the movements are similar to movements you will find other qigong styles.

The Chan temple I spent time at did not teach qigong or any moving practice other than walking meditation.
Qing Tian

Post by Qing Tian »

Long time Yi Jin Jing practitioner here. The authenticity of these exercises is open to much debate, and as such there are many variations - both subtle and otherwise.

Having said that, they are truly excellent exercises for maintaining good body tone, improving balance and finding a little peace! From personal experience I can say that they have been very helpful - at 50 years old I can rise from my bed, stand and bend forward putting both hands flat on the ground. Flexibility as we age is very important.

I don't feel that the exercises interfere with dharma practice for the layperson.

For anyone who wishes to take this practice - and they really are simple exercises - know that you must build it into a daily habit to benefit fully. As an aside, adherence to a practice is one of the major bugbears for those of us working in health research.
“Not till your thoughts cease all their branching here and there, not till you abandon all thoughts of seeking for something, not till your mind is motionless as wood or stone, will you be on the right road to the Gate.”
Techno Yogi

Post by Techno Yogi »

Qing Tian wrote:Long time Yi Jin Jing practitioner here. The authenticity of these exercises is open to much debate, and as such there are many variations - both subtle and otherwise.
Yes, the version I learned was embedded in a longer Daoist qigong form, and includes a number of stances and breathing instructions which are not included in the images in this thread.
Qing Tian wrote:Having said that, they are truly excellent exercises for maintaining good body tone, improving balance and finding a little peace! From personal experience I can say that they have been very helpful - at 50 years old I can rise from my bed, stand and bend forward putting both hands flat on the ground. Flexibility as we age is very important.
That's great to hear! It makes sense that it would help you maintain flexibility, since one of the major purposes of this form is to strengthen the tendons - as I'm sure you know, Yi Jin Jing means "Changing the Tendons and Meridians" (易筋經).
Qing Tian wrote:I don't feel that the exercises interfere with dharma practice for the layperson.
I stumbled into Daoist practice completely by accident! I use it to train my body, while dharma practice trains the mind.
Qing Tian wrote:For anyone who wishes to take this practice - and they really are simple exercises - know that you must build it into a daily habit to benefit fully. As an aside, adherence to a practice is one of the major bugbears for those of us working in health research.
Excellent advice.

:anjali:

Return to “Chan”