Places to Ordain in the Chinese Tradition

Zhen Li

Re: Places to Ordain in the Chinese Tradition

Post by Zhen Li »

Fortyeightvows wrote:just throwing it out there but if someone learned their zhuyin, that would allow them to recite most of the lituragy.
and i'm curious as to why Venerable said to check Bodhi monastary off the list?
Zhuyin helps with liturgy that has zhuyin, which is limited. You'd really be settling for a handicap, when it's definitely possible to learn Chinese. Zhuyin is only as much of an aid as pinyin, which doesn't get you far. Seriously, if somone is interested in dedicating their life to studying Buddhism, and have the time and ability, why would someone wilfully choose not to learn the primary languages, be it Chinese, Pali, Sanskrit, or Tibetan? In my opinion, these are just the threshold, they're not the goal. You need these basic stepping stones if you want to both progress in your own learning, and help others.
Fortyeightvows

Post by Fortyeightvows »

i was suggesting it as a start so that a person could participate in services while they test the water
Zhen Li

Post by Zhen Li »

Fortyeightvows wrote:i was suggesting it as a start so that a person could participate in services while they test the water
You can participate with pinyin, and often translation, there's no need to learn a whole new alphabet.
Luke

Post by Luke »

I am one of the less wise people on this forum, but I will reply anyway...

So why exactly do you want to ordain, PsychedelicSunSet?

This video below is probably what you are dreaming of, right?
phpBB [video]

It seems to me that a more direct way of accomplishing this would be to remain a lay person, learn Chinese, and find some Chinese Chan master whom you can visit and receive teachings from once every year or two (sort of in the same way that lots of Tibetan Buddhists only see their gurus periodically). You don't sound like you are willing to give up your autonomy and that is really a main part of ordaining (because from a Buddhist perspective much of "autonomy" is just an illusion anyway...).

It's great that you are inspired to study and practice Buddhism more deeply, but try and find a way of doing so that is within your capabilities and which you won't eventually just end up hating. I wish you good luck.

Return to “Chan”