Monasteries/smaller temples to stay in Taiwan

gerard

Monasteries/smaller temples to stay in Taiwan

Post by gerard » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:56 am

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with any monasteries that let lay practitioners stay short to medium term (or even long term if there is any) for the purpose of spiritual practice. I have no problem to give to the monastery in return like performing any menial tasks or anything else the monastery may request from me.

Thanks in advance! :)

jushi

Re: Monasteries/smaller temples to stay in Taiwan

Post by jushi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Hmm, also curious about this. Especially regarding Sheng-Yen's style of Chan practice.

I inquired about this through DDM but got an answer "For monastery stay, it is usually not open to the public unless big event such as yearly assemblies. "

I wonder if they misunderstood the question?

In the Japanese system it is not unheard of laypeople (especially Westeners) practicing with monks for shorter periods (~3 months). However I have understood Chinese Chan to keep to the traditional emphasis on cloistered monasticism. In mainland China even more due to the vast amounts of tourism that Buddhism is creating nowadays (Zen Baggage by Bill Porter comes to mind).

Anyway it would be interesting to find out a place. A good grasp of spoken and written Mandarin is an obvious must which would make this more challenging.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup: