Platform Sutra

Nicholas Weeks

Platform Sutra

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

There are several translations into English, but I had never read Red Pine's version. Glad I have it now, for his is based on a much older recension, although he does quote parts of later 1200s popular version and contrasts the two a bit.

Here is a sample, when he first meets the Fifth Patriarch:
3. Master Hung-jen asked me, ‘Where are you from? And what exactly
do you hope to get from me by coming to this mountain to pay your respects?’

I answered, ‘Your disciple is from Lingnan, a commoner of Hsinchou.
The reason I came all this way to pay my respects is I want to
be a buddha. I don’t want anything else.’

The Master scoffed, ‘But you’re from Lingnan and a jungle rat as
well. How can you possibly be a buddha?’

I replied, ‘People come from the north or south, not their buddha
nature. The lives of this jungle rat and the Master’s aren’t the same,
but how can our buddha nature differ?’

The Master was about to say something more to me. But when
he saw his attendants standing there, he didn’t say anything else
and sent me to join the sangha workforce. A novice then led me to
the milling room, where I pedaled a millstone for more than eight months.
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
RisingSon

Re: Platform Sutra

Post by RisingSon »

a jungle rat
:twothumbsup: That's another perspective on the typical 'Aborigine' translation of Cleary... besides this I'm not seeing alot of difference in the section you posted :reading:
adept

Post by adept »

[media]

I highly recommend this series of Dharma talks on the Sixth Patriarch's Platform Sutra, from City of Ten Thousand Buddhas.
So far there's 142 videos. I'm slowly making my way through them. :coffee:
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

Thanks adept! Can you tell me a bit about the background (your own words) about this teaching, this teacher, I'm assuming this is Berkeley Buddhist Monastery? If so, I'm traveling there soon on family business and can add to my itinerary...
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam
adept

Post by adept »

SunWuKong wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:57 pm Thanks adept! Can you tell me a bit about the background (your own words) about this teaching, this teacher, I'm assuming this is Berkeley Buddhist Monastery? If so, I'm traveling there soon on family business and can add to my itinerary...
Yes it is Berkeley Buddhist Monastery.
Years ago when I first tried to read the Platform Sutra, I didn't understand it. Most of it went straight over my head. Fast forward to today, with many years of practice and experiences, and it all makes perfect sense. This translation is very easy to read, and the accompanying Dharma talk series of videos unpacks every detail of the sutra, and the background story behind its formation.
The teacher of the video series is Martin J Verhoeven who was part of the translation team behind the book. Martin was a disciple of Master Hsuan Hua and was formerly a monk named Heng Chau before returning to lay life.
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

adept wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 pm
SunWuKong wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:57 pm Thanks adept! Can you tell me a bit about the background (your own words) about this teaching, this teacher, I'm assuming this is Berkeley Buddhist Monastery? If so, I'm traveling there soon on family business and can add to my itinerary...
Yes it is Berkeley Buddhist Monastery.
Years ago when I first tried to read the Platform Sutra, I didn't understand it. Most of it went straight over my head. Fast forward to today, with many years of practice and experiences, and it all makes perfect sense. This translation is very easy to read, and the accompanying Dharma talk series of videos unpacks every detail of the sutra, and the background story behind its formation.
The teacher of the video series is Martin J Verhoeven who was part of the translation team behind the book. Martin was a disciple of Master Hsuan Hua and was formerly a monk named Heng Chau before returning to lay life.
All these comings and goings in and out of the monks' life! Okay LOL
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

I've read some of Martin Verhoven's articles and they're excellent. His Dharma Realm University page can be found here.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong »

tied into GTU no wonder

Return to “Chan”