Rinzai teachers in Europe?

Luke

Rinzai teachers in Europe?

Post by Luke »

I was just curious if there are any good Rinzai zen teachers in Europe? I have never heard of any...
Caodemarte

Re: Rinzai teachers in Europe?

Post by Caodemarte »

There is the lay successor of Fukushima roshi, the American Jeff Shore who visits to give retreats and the European Taïkan Jyoji, the teacher and representative for Europe of the Rinzai school of Zen (Myôshin-ji branch, Kyoto) at the La Falaise Verte zen center in France. I am sure there are many others that I don't know about, but these two are about as officially Rinzai as you can get. Jeff Shore is a very good teacher. I have never met the other and don't know much more about him. You can check out the La Falaise Verte website or Google being without self for Jeff Shore.
Meido

Post by Meido »

We conduct sesshin annually in Laufen, Germany (this week in fact).

Of course "good" is not something you'll find out here.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Meido wrote:We conduct sesshin annually in Laufen, Germany (this week in fact).
That's cool, but unfortunately, I can't take any time off from work to travel there now. I hope you have a great retreat! :)
Meido wrote:Of course "good" is not something you'll find out here.
haha. A "very Zen" answer.

I guess what I meant by "good" was "qualified" or "authentic."
Meido

Post by Meido »

Hi Luke,

We do this retreat annually...if you have any interest feel free to join our email list via the Rinzai Zen link in my signature. I expect that other groups in Europe could add you to their lists as well to keep you informed about events.

Wasn't trying to give a "Zen" answer, just to point out that the good teacher is the one with whom you have some affinity. Good to go around and check out as many of them as you can. Of course the question of legitimacy is something that should be researched as well.

Good luck in your search.

Meido

Return to “Rinzai”