Korinji - Residential practice (or visit)

Meido

Korinji - Residential practice (or visit)

Post by Meido »

[For those who don't know, Korinji is a Rinzai monastery being constructed near Madison, WI USA...see http://www.korinji.org]

I'm happy to announce that Korinji has begun taking preliminary applications for residential practice, with the first ango (4-month monastic training period) scheduled to begin in March, 2018.

We're currently gearing up to break ground this coming June for our house, upon completion of which we're ready to start living and practicing there full-time. So, all of you who are just chomping at the bit to move in...it's time to start planning and getting your affairs in order.

Both lay and ordained persons, of any gender, are welcome to apply to stay at Korinji. We are offering residential practice opportunities of two main types:

1. Formal practice stay, i.e. participating in the the full monastic schedule. Stays may be of almost any length, from short weekend visits to several weeks, months, or years. Note: persons desiring to train for Zen ordination will be generally required to reside for a minimum of one year...2 ango and 2 seikan, including 8 one-week sesshin.

2. Focused internships. These are opportunities to reside at the monastery and participate in most of the daily schedule, but with allowance for up to four hours per day individual practice of a particular art or discipline. The intent is to explore the unity of Zen practice and one's chosen art. Internships may focus on an art or discipline one already practices, e.g. painting, yoga, photography, writing, etc. Internships specifically integrating practice of Budo (traditional martial arts), or the art of forging/metalworking, are structured and overseen by me. Internships may be of nearly any length, depending on one's chosen art and goals (reviewed on a case-by-case basis).

A final note: due to the realities of where we live, we do request donations for residence. Scholarships may be given according to need, however, and in general no sincere person will ever be turned away for inability to contribute. Persons donating to Korinji in the future may feel gratified that their contributions not only keep the monastery afloat, but also allow us to host trainees regardless of means.

Full information on all of this may be found at http://www.korinji.org, and feel free to PM me. The website has a lot of photos that will give you a sense of the 17 acres there. It's a nice place. There's a lot of work to be done. If you feel that helping to establish a new Zen place in the N. American heartland is a worthwhile way to spend one's time/energy, by all means get in touch.

~ Meido
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Re: Korinji - Residential practice (or visit)

Post by Wayfarer »

That is marvellous Ven. Meido, I have family in that part of the world so will be in the vicinity later this year and again in the future. I would definitely like to visit your Centre and hopefully participate in a stay at some point.

:namaste:
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
Meido

Post by Meido »

By all means, let me know when you're around! Would love to show you the place, and am especially pleased when I can have faces to go with DW names.

:anjali:
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Just wanted to wish you all the best this is awesome!
Meido

Post by Meido »

Thanks, CedarTree.

We just completed our first long sesshin at the place. We came out from the retreat schedule to do a groundbreaking ceremony on the residence site (slab to be poured in July). Pic below of that, and also of a group meeting after...you can see the zendo interior which has finally been completed.

~ Meido
groundbreaking.jpg
groundbreaking.jpg (155.64 KiB) Viewed 9533 times
zendomeeting.jpg
zendomeeting.jpg (150.92 KiB) Viewed 9533 times
Meido

Post by Meido »

The residence is now under construction at Korinji, and we're on schedule to being the first ango in March. Thought I'd share a few recent pics:

Looking downhill from the residence site to the zendo:

KorinjiZendo.jpg
KorinjiZendo.jpg (73.4 KiB) Viewed 9202 times

The residence as of today...windows and doors were going in:

KorinjiHouse2.jpg
KorinjiHouse2.jpg (182.18 KiB) Viewed 9202 times

A view of both structures looking down into our valley:

KorinjiHouse1.jpg
KorinjiHouse1.jpg (154.75 KiB) Viewed 9202 times

~ Meido
Meido

Post by Meido »

Korinji update. Since the last post in December, we've completed the house. We're now a month into the first ango with five residents.

Still winter here, with 6" of snow on the ground. Here are a few shots from a week or two ago.

House, looking uphill from the zendo (landscaping to be completed when ground thaws):

house.jpg
house.jpg (50 KiB) Viewed 8848 times

Zendo, taken from the second floor of the house:

korinjifog.jpg
korinjifog.jpg (18.5 KiB) Viewed 8848 times

Return to “Rinzai”