Blessing a Buddha

dialectbird

Blessing a Buddha

Post by dialectbird »

I have heard of the practice of having a priest, or priests bless a Buddha for the home practitioners altar. Is this practice something someone can request in Soto zen? I have been advised to work closely with a priest at temple, by a teacher, and would like to see if he, or possibly all the priests would do this for me, if that is customary. What are your thoughts? Also, what is entailed in the blessing of a Buddha statue?

Thanks so much!

合掌
DB
Matylda

Re: Blessing a Buddha

Post by Matylda »

It is a ceremony called KAIGEN - opening an eye. One who is qualified should be fully ordained priest who got shiho and completed zuise or best completed his or her training. There is a specific text recited - TEN EPITHETS OF TATHAGATA or JU GO NYORAI, and the priest should conduct special eye opening with the use of red ink, clean brush etc. the ceremony is contained in a special ritual text for such occasion.

dialectbird wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:56 am I have heard of the practice of having a priest, or priests bless a Buddha for the home practitioners altar. Is this practice something someone can request in Soto zen? I have been advised to work closely with a priest at temple, by a teacher, and would like to see if he, or possibly all the priests would do this for me, if that is customary. What are your thoughts? Also, what is entailed in the blessing of a Buddha statue?

Thanks so much!

合掌
DB
dialectbird

Post by dialectbird »

Thank you,
I will run this by my priest, and see what he thinks. I appreciate your help, have an excellent day!

合掌
DB
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

dialectbird wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:15 pm Thank you,
I will run this by my priest, and see what he thinks. I appreciate your help, have an excellent day!

合掌
DB
welcome :)

Return to “Soto”