Soto Zen Quotes

CedarTree

Re: Soto Zen Quotes

Post by CedarTree »

‘Japanese people have a preconception that Buddhism is something special for a special kind of person. I repeat that the starting point of Buddhism is searching after the truth of the life of one’s self. Since it is the truth of the life of each self, it is only natural not to distinguish old from young, men from women, or noble birth from humble birth. Buddhism lies behind our practice of zazen. Behind Buddhism, there should be one’s own life. It is essential to see Buddhism from the ground of our own lives and to examine our zazen on the basis of Buddhism. In doing so, it is apparent that the idea that we can attain some special satori like a superhuman power is off the mark.’

Kosho Uchiyama, Dharma Grandfather of Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery in America.

Practice, Practice, Practice
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

‘Reality itself is a question for us. There is no way to reduce the reality of our life to any logical system and completely understand it, because our life is so complex. Reality is always asking us, “What is this life? Who are we? What am I doing?” Somehow we have to answer with our practice. Practice doesn’t necessarily mean sitting or studying the Buddha’s teaching. Practice can mean the activities of our day-to-day lives. Even when we try to avoid answering reality’s questions, that avoidance itself is an answer. If we try to deny reality, that’s also an answer. So we can’t avoid it. Each one of us has to engage this reality, including our self, body, mind, and situation. Our self and our situation work together. We have to accept this total reality as our self. Self is not a separate part of reality. Our life is the sum of all the things happening inside and outside of us.’

- Shohaku Okumura, teacher of Shoryu Bradley

CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

I think this would be the message of Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery, Antai-ji, and Sanshin Zen Community.

CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Well I think I may be going to places like Gyobutsuji Zen Monastery & Sanshin Zen Community both of which are in America for Zen. Who knows maybe even Antai-ji!

Keep my Soto Zen Quotes Dream alive!

https://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=26469

Return to “Soto”