Shobogenzo Recommendations

CicadaCanto

Shobogenzo Recommendations

Post by CicadaCanto »

I am interested in Dogen and his Shobogenzo. I have read small portions in translation. There are "Amazon reviews" and the reviews that practitioners would make. :smile: I am soliciting recommendations on a) translations of the Shobogenzo and b) books on Dogen's life and dharma works.

Thank you for your attention.
dialectbird

Re: Shobogenzo Recommendations

Post by dialectbird »

Perhaps read a smaller body of text, containing some of Dogen writings from the Shobogenzo. This is something I have also considered endeavoring for some time. I would recommend ‘Moon in a Dewdrop’.
Hope this helps.
合掌
DB
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

CicadaCanto wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 pm I am interested in Dogen and his Shobogenzo. I have read small portions in translation. There are "Amazon reviews" and the reviews that practitioners would make. :smile: I am soliciting recommendations on a) translations of the Shobogenzo and b) books on Dogen's life and dharma works.

Thank you for your attention.
Cannot appraise the accuracy of the translation, but I trust the Japanese publisher BDK. Note this blurb about volume one, in the upper right is a button for the free download of a pdf formatted volume. The other three vols. can also be downloaded or one can buy the printed books.

http://www.bdkamerica.org/book/shōbōgen ... y-volume-i
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Kanji

Post by Kanji »

'the true Dharma eye:Zen Master Dogen' s three hundred Koans' translated by John Daido Loori Roshi is excellent.
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Post by narhwal90 »

I've been reading the Nearman translation from Shasta Abbey 2007, 1100+ pages available in pdf- its a long read, I've found it very interesting thus far :)
Kanji

Post by Kanji »

Kazuaki Tanahashi has translated the whole thing, along with others, Shambala have brought out a nice two volume edition I notice, it's a bit pricey though, depends on the depth of your pockets! If your pockets are limited, like mine, Enlightenment Unfolds is brilliant :broke:
WuMing

Post by WuMing »

Hee-Jin Kim's translation Flowers of Emptiness - Selections from Dogen's Shobogenzo
". . . an incisive and penetrating analysis of Dogen's techniques of writing, demonstrating a superb mastery of Japanese Dogen scholarship. . . . a sensitive reading of the text that captures the `tantalizingly elusive, . . . brilliant, exquisite, evocative' texture of the original." - Philosophy East and West
Life is great and death has to be just as great as life.
- Mike Tyson
People not only don't know what's happening to them, they don't even know that they don't know.
- Noam Chomsky

Return to “Soto”