Shobogenzo Recommendations

CicadaCanto

Shobogenzo Recommendations

Post by CicadaCanto » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 pm

I am interested in Dogen and his Shobogenzo. I have read small portions in translation. There are "Amazon reviews" and the reviews that practitioners would make. :smile: I am soliciting recommendations on a) translations of the Shobogenzo and b) books on Dogen's life and dharma works.

Thank you for your attention.

dialectbird

Re: Shobogenzo Recommendations

Post by dialectbird » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:46 am

Perhaps read a smaller body of text, containing some of Dogen writings from the Shobogenzo. This is something I have also considered endeavoring for some time. I would recommend ‘Moon in a Dewdrop’.
Hope this helps.
合掌
DB

Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:38 pm

CicadaCanto wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:22 pm
I am interested in Dogen and his Shobogenzo. I have read small portions in translation. There are "Amazon reviews" and the reviews that practitioners would make. :smile: I am soliciting recommendations on a) translations of the Shobogenzo and b) books on Dogen's life and dharma works.

Thank you for your attention.
Cannot appraise the accuracy of the translation, but I trust the Japanese publisher BDK. Note this blurb about volume one, in the upper right is a button for the free download of a pdf formatted volume. The other three vols. can also be downloaded or one can buy the printed books.

http://www.bdkamerica.org/book/shōbōgen ... y-volume-i
Glorious one, creator of all goodness, Mañjuśrī, his glorious eminence!
Manjushri-namasamgiti

Kanji

Post by Kanji » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:55 pm

'the true Dharma eye:Zen Master Dogen' s three hundred Koans' translated by John Daido Loori Roshi is excellent.

narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:43 pm

I've been reading the Nearman translation from Shasta Abbey 2007, 1100+ pages available in pdf- its a long read, I've found it very interesting thus far :)

Kanji

Post by Kanji » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:54 am

Kazuaki Tanahashi has translated the whole thing, along with others, Shambala have brought out a nice two volume edition I notice, it's a bit pricey though, depends on the depth of your pockets! If your pockets are limited, like mine, Enlightenment Unfolds is brilliant :broke:

WuMing

Post by WuMing » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:10 pm

Hee-Jin Kim's translation Flowers of Emptiness - Selections from Dogen's Shobogenzo
". . . an incisive and penetrating analysis of Dogen's techniques of writing, demonstrating a superb mastery of Japanese Dogen scholarship. . . . a sensitive reading of the text that captures the `tantalizingly elusive, . . . brilliant, exquisite, evocative' texture of the original." - Philosophy East and West
今以佛眼觀之佛與眾生同住解脫之床。無此無彼無二平等。
Now, observing with the eye of the Buddha, both the Buddha and ordinary beings are in the same liberated state. There is neither this nor that: there is only non-duality and identity.
- 空海 Kūkai in Unjigi 吽字義 The Meaning of the Letter Hūṃ
- Kūkai on the Philosophy of Language by Takagi Shingen and Dreitlein Eijō
_______
Śrī Singha said to Padmasambhava:
Since buddhas and sentient beings are inseparable and the same, it is necessary to respect all sentient beings as being on the same level with the buddhas. Can you?
- translated by Malcolm N. Smith

Return to “Soto”