“My Three Years on the Soto Zen Buddhist Association Board: a Brief Reflection”

passel

“My Three Years on the Soto Zen Buddhist Association Board: a Brief Reflection”

Post by passel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:44 pm

"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious

SunWuKong

Re: “My Three Years on the Soto Zen Buddhist Association Board: a Brief Reflection”

Post by SunWuKong » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 am

and???

I've read that the real reason behind Japanese monks not being celibate or vegetarian, or shaved was due to the "Purple Robe" affair, in which they were officially busted out of rank by the Emperor. but I'm not the expert

https://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/nfile/2978
"Cast off body and mind" (身心脱落 shēn xīn tuō luò)

Lindama

Re: “My Three Years on the Soto Zen Buddhist Association Board: a Brief Reflection”

Post by Lindama » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:15 am

dear heart, as I see it, there are not real reasons for anything.

don't miss the core of what James said:
And, most of all, I’m concerned about the possibilities of Zen for a fulfilled life. I see it as one of the true ways. It is powerful. It is lovely. And it is a most human enterprise. So, it is also dreadfully frustrating. And, always, it appears, always totters at the edge of collapse.
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/monkeymind ... a7vjGCj.99
I knew James briefly and some of his teachers... a good practice whether zen or other, holds the possibility for a fulfilled life... priest or lay. it is both empowered and vulnerable in one breath.

linda
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho

Larryo

Post by Larryo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Lindama wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:15 am
it is both empowered and vulnerable in one breath.
Like Life and Death itself. A Wonderful paradox!

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:09 am

I like James too, but he is also from my other tradition, UUA or Unitarian Universalist Association, but if you say cut him some slack I will respectfully obey your wishes. I'm probably jealous because i lack a gift of words.

:bow:
"Cast off body and mind" (身心脱落 shēn xīn tuō luò)

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:29 am

James is a wonderful soul. I met him a couple times and gave a delightful talk at a Sangha day some years ago. He wrote in one of his books the he moved on from Kwan Um because he didn't like the kimch! Poor guy, he has no idea what he missed out on! :lol:

The hand-wringing over somehow certifying teachers is an interesting topic.
You make, you get.

New Haven Zen Center

Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:23 am

I read James' blog regularly. Really like it. And Dosho's also. Thinking of signing up on his online sangha.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities; in the expert's mind there are few ~ Suzuki-roshi