Taisen Deshimaru's Books

Wayfarer
Former staff member

Taisen Deshimaru's Books

Post by Wayfarer »

I have just found an interesting-looking title on Amazon - Zen & Karma: Teachings of Roshi Taisen Deshimaru. I got the Kindle preview, and am tossing up whether to buy. Any of the members here familiar with this book?
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Taisen Deshimaru's Books

Post by kirtu »

Wayfarer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:34 am I have just found an interesting-looking title on Amazon - Zen & Karma: Teachings of Roshi Taisen Deshimaru. I got the Kindle preview, and am tossing up whether to buy. Any of the members here familiar with this book?
The Kindle preview stops just before they begin with the actual transcription of the mondo. I do not remember this book under the previous title but would have recognized the teaching had they show that in the preview providing that I read it previously.

Deshimaru was important to the transmission of Zen in Europe but this bright ray of pure teaching is now nearly 40 years behind us. If Deshimaru speaks to you (so if he speaks to you in other texts) then I would get it for sure. Be aware that Deshimaru wrote nothing. All his teachings in Europe were transcribed by students, often by different students taking notes that were later compiled into books.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
Wayfarer
Former staff member

Post by Wayfarer »

Thanks. From what i read, definitely speaks to me. It makes me remember what drew me to Sōtō in the first place.
'Only practice with no gaining idea' ~ Suzuki Roshi
zengarten

Post by zengarten »

One of the most interesting explanations of karma I read. Deshimaru learnt from Kodo Sawaki and was a soldier, therefore I guess his rough attitude. In Europe there are many more books by him available, like his comments on all the relevant zen texts (Sandokai, Shinjinmei, Hokkyo Zanmai etc.). Hope they will be translated into English. Far better than the stuff you get from American teachers like Glassman, Beck, Halifax etc. A good companion to your book is "Voice of the valley" with teishos of Deshimaru.
hishiryo

Post by hishiryo »

I know other books of deshimaru. They are quite good but i dont like his strong emphazise on focussing posture and breath. Yet, his teachings are really good
Gassho

Return to “Soto”