CBD oil

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Queequeg
Global Moderator

Re: CBD oil

Post by Queequeg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:32 am

boda wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:18 am
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 pm
I might get the same effect from placebos, and maybe I am taking placebos, paying for a placebo effect. :shrug:
Placebos can be as effective, or even more effective, than active agents, and they don't have any negative side effects. Well, they don't have negative effects (nocebos) unless you think they do anyway. :?
Why'd you have to go and put that in my head? Now I'm going to go hypochondriac.

Following up on what I'm taking...

I don't want to advertise, so I'll just share the basic info on the label.

The one I am taking now is 550 "broad spectrum". It doesn't have proteins and the other stuff that goes into "full spectrum".

I take the recommended dose in the morning.

The one I took before was 500 "full spectrum".

I'm not sure what these labels mean. I briefly read up and the "spectrum" has to do with vitamins and proteins that they add to the oil that are said to enhance the effects. :shrug: I can't imagine there is any standard between brands, just proprietary cocktails.

The one I am taking now provides 3rd party tests and indicates they only contain CBD, and untraceable THC.

The one I took previously - does not provide tests.

Who knows with this stuff. I get the sense its all over priced.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Expedient Means Chapter

There are beings with little dust in their eyes who are falling away because they do not hear the Dhamma. There will be those who will understand the Dhamma.
-Ayacana Sutta

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:47 pm

CBD oil is anti-anxiety, unlike THC. But, all CBD oil contains traces of THC. Unless its the CBD isolate. I tried it for my arthritis, but to be honest mixing CBD with THC works better for physical pain. The problem is, pain is there for a reason, and to defeat pain without addressing the causes can involve risk. In the case of arthritis, easing the pain and then over-exercising will actually increase the damage to the joints. The problem of course with THC is that it triggers a cascade of random thoughts that run all out of control. Not really pleasant for a meditator.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:32 am
boda wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:18 am
Queequeg wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 pm
I might get the same effect from placebos, and maybe I am taking placebos, paying for a placebo effect. :shrug:
Placebos can be as effective, or even more effective, than active agents, and they don't have any negative side effects. Well, they don't have negative effects (nocebos) unless you think they do anyway. :?
Why'd you have to go and put that in my head? Now I'm going to go hypochondriac.

Following up on what I'm taking...

I don't want to advertise, so I'll just share the basic info on the label.

The one I am taking now is 550 "broad spectrum". It doesn't have proteins and the other stuff that goes into "full spectrum".

I take the recommended dose in the morning.

The one I took before was 500 "full spectrum".

I'm not sure what these labels mean. I briefly read up and the "spectrum" has to do with vitamins and proteins that they add to the oil that are said to enhance the effects. :shrug: I can't imagine there is any standard between brands, just proprietary cocktails.

The one I am taking now provides 3rd party tests and indicates they only contain CBD, and untraceable THC.

The one I took previously - does not provide tests.

Who knows with this stuff. I get the sense its all over priced.
Broad spectrum, full spectrum means by percentage the lipid content in the hemp is reflected in the final product. The CBD has not been fully isolated. CBD isolate is available in crystal and gel cap form at greater cost. There's yet another molecule to consider, CBN. It could be the CBN content has the mellowing effect. CBN products are available now as sleep aids. CBD is much too expensive, the cheapest extraction process uses some form of alcohol, which i'm not sure can be fully recovered. Therefore CBD will always be more costly than a good shot of whiskey. If you have an abundance of industrial hemp available locally, you can extract it cheaply using the "loaded brownie" method, dispersing the CBD in butter or oil with heat, then cooking with the butter.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

Danny

Post by Danny » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Does the body create a tolerance to the doseages?

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:44 pm

I brought the strongest dose possible and cbd hash (at the strongest dose possible) and they do nothing for me.

My brother takes two drops of the weakest dose possible and feel a difference.

I can take seven drops of mine, or take 3-4 hits from a hash pipe and NOTHING.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:15 pm

cbd is not psychoactive effects

this is not to dismiss psychological benefits but expecting psychoactive causation is not one of them

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:57 pm

tkp67 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:15 pm

this is not to dismiss psychological benefits but expecting psychoactive causation is not one of them
I wasn't expecting psychoactive effects, I was expecting some sort of effect.

Theoretically though, it is meant to be calming

That is what you take it for, correct? That is why I tried it. To help me sleep.

Isn't that a psychoactive effect?

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:30 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:57 pm
tkp67 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:15 pm

I wasn't expecting psychoactive effects, I was expecting some sort of effect.

Theoretically though, it is meant to be calming

That is what you take it for, correct? That is why I tried it. To help me sleep.

Psychoactive would be directly effecting the mind where it is theorized CBD effects receptor health somewhat like prozac.

Non psychoactive cannabinoids seem to be great at addressing physiological problems bringing the body back to baseline. Inflammation is a good example because some people are genetically predisposed and thus inflammation is the root cause. This does not directly address symptoms and will not benefit those who have like symptoms but due to different causes without the same physiological benefit.

There does seem to be a synergy between THC/CBD where in tangent they can provide a greater spectrum of relief without the same level of intoxication.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:56 pm

tkp67 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:30 pm
Psychoactive would be directly effecting the mind where it is theorized CBD effects receptor health somewhat like prozac.
Well, prozac is psychoactive.

Not many substances cause (direct) intoxication (or intoxicating effect) in their own right, generally they effect the functioning of the brain (neural firing, hormone excretion and uptake, etc...)

But I get your point: CBD needs to be taken over time for the effect to be noticeable.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:07 pm

CBD is definitely psychoactive...it just doesn't cause the euphoria, time distortions etc. of THC. It's relaxing but doesn't really get you high in the manner of THC.

Anyway here's the basic scoop on this:

There is some evidence for CBD generally and small amounts of THC being good for pain, anxiety, and PTSD. I've used CBD for pain and I will say it works better than NSAIDS for my chronic back issues. I also sleep incredibly well when I use it.

That said, don't go listen to some "bud tender" or whatever in a Pot store on the subject, those guys typically have no idea what they are talking about.

Full spectrum CBD is pretty safe, and usually has little enough THC that even if you have bad reactions to it (I do, which is ironic because I was a huge pothead for years) you will be ok.

Anyway, the main reason this is important is that it would be preferable to treat chronic pain patients with CBD than with opiates, etc., for a number of reasons.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:44 pm
I brought the strongest dose possible and cbd hash (at the strongest dose possible) and they do nothing for me.

My brother takes two drops of the weakest dose possible and feel a difference.

I can take seven drops of mine, or take 3-4 hits from a hash pipe and NOTHING.
Is it full spectrum, or pure CBD? I've definitely gotten better pain relief with full spectrum, -and- I had to triple the typical CBD dosage to see real pain relief. It's been significant for me though, if I take it a few times per week I actually don't have back spasms after training, something I've dealt with for years and years.

I tend towards the edibles because they are longer lasting and more consistent than smoking it. I'm in Washington state so we have every marijuana product under the sun...lol.

It's also kind of sneaky...try it again and do some light yoga, some other kind of mild physical activity, CBD is almost entirely a "body high" related to pain receptors etc...not necessarily something you will notice right away. The difference is..somatic, not cognitive.
Danny wrote:Does the body create a tolerance to the doseages?
I mean, tolerance is behaviorally contingent. If you stick to a strict schedule tolerance would be minimal, but over time it is almost inevitable that your body will find a "new normal" and you will build a tolerance, to nearly anything...that is just how we work.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

WesleyP

Post by WesleyP » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:25 pm

Grigoris wrote:
The marijuana high is something Psychoactive.

WesleyP

Post by WesleyP » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm
Anyone else have experience with this stuff?
. . . (Yes)

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:30 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:56 pm
tkp67 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:30 pm
Well, prozac is psychoactive.

Not many substances cause (direct) intoxication (or intoxicating effect) in their own right, generally they effect the functioning of thebut brain (neural firing, hormone excretion and uptake, etc...)

But I get your point: CBD needs to be taken over time for the effect to be noticeable.
Yes but not exactly the point reportedly it does seem to have more immediate effects on some subjects. The variable subjectivity and unknown mode of action are why I (and perhaps incorrectly) call it non psychoactive. Many people seem to experience no effect when using them.

The most stark difference from an experiential perspective is that overtly psychoactive substances seem intoxicating and the effect of the aforementioned (cbd and prozac) do not personally make me feel intoxicated whatsoever.

Prozac did have profound benefits but the effect was so sublime that I would not have made an internal correlation of cause and effect without being directed to take it over the term.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:45 pm

WesleyP wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:25 pm
Grigoris wrote:
The marijuana high is something Psychoactive.
So is CBD technically. Drugs mimic processes we already have, and CBD affects the endocannibinoid system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system

Like I said though, it does not involve the time distortions, sense of euphoria, or the kind of fake -profundity experiences we get with THC. We will not generally feel high, at least not compared to actually being high.

Also worth mentioning, my understanding is that CBD and THC can have an antagonistic affect on one another beyond a small amount of THC, but a synergistic effect with a small amount fof THC.. hence part of the reason that full spectrum CBD is so effective

-James Low

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:33 pm

So I investigated the term and use of psychoactive and admittedly I was off base with the classification of such. Since the term applies to a spectrum of substances ranging from the benign/sublime to those more profound in their effect.

I mention this because my personal philosophy is true medicines bring the body to a point of physiological homeostasis where in drugs (and this is where psychoactive is attached in my mind) alter our state potentially by temporarily eliminating/obfuscating symptoms. That was the criteria for accepting the treatments I was offered to address my mental illness. Many of the substances I was given where very powerful mind obscuring drugs that seemed to do far more harm than good. I must have demonized psychoactive along the way.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:51 pm

Just in order to add a controversial view: I would rather stand my psychic tensions - and try to work with them on the base of relaxation methods and analysis - than intoxicate myself with cannabis substances.

But I admit, I am extremely sensitive against psychoactive substances. Even the very slight effect of CBD is not attractive to me.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Seeker12

Post by Seeker12 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Ayu wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:51 pm
Just in order to add a controversial view: I would rather stand my psychic tensions - and try to work with them on the base of relaxation methods and analysis - than intoxicate myself with cannabis substances.

But I admit, I am extremely sensitive against psychoactive substances. Even the very slight effect of CBD is not attractive to me.
You know cannabis steam baths are explicitly permitted in the monastic vinaya. I don't see why proper use of CBD oil would be any different essentially.

Of course you can avoid it if you like.
Better than if there were thousands of meaningless words is one meaningful word that on hearing brings peace.

Better than if there were thousands of meaningless verses is one meaningful verse that on hearing brings peace.

And better than chanting hundreds of meaningless verses is one Dhamma-saying that on hearing brings peace.

Seeker12

Post by Seeker12 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Queequeg wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm
Anyone else have experience with this stuff?
Just in case it's of interest, in the monastic vinaya cannabis steam baths are explicitly permitted for medicinal use. It seems like most people don't know this. One might of course think this isn't necessarily talking about taking 15 bong hits of high THC bubba kush, but in general I see no significant reason to think that there is a problem with proper use of CBD oil.
Better than if there were thousands of meaningless words is one meaningful word that on hearing brings peace.

Better than if there were thousands of meaningless verses is one meaningful verse that on hearing brings peace.

And better than chanting hundreds of meaningless verses is one Dhamma-saying that on hearing brings peace.

Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Seeker12 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:17 pm
Ayu wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:51 pm

You know cannabis steam baths are explicitly permitted in the monastic vinaya. I don't see why proper use of CBD oil would be any different essentially.

Of course you can avoid it if you like.
I'm not talking about monastic Vinaya. I think my stance is from psychological view: Why take a substance, if the problem could be solved within the own separated organism?
E.g. if someone feels a lack of enthusiam, nobody would recommend a daily dose of coffee. One would rather ask, what is the cause.
Wouldn't you?
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”