Exercises for Improving Prostrations

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
ardens2112

Exercises for Improving Prostrations

Post by ardens2112 »

I'm currently in the process of trying to do daily prostrations in the Korean style but I'm finding it really hurts my knees to get up without using my hands for support, and it is difficult to spring back up using only the balls of my feet. I attempted 5-6 or so the other day and my knees are achy and a little bit wonky today. I'm worrying about potentially hurting my knees - I'm not a very athletic or flexible person, so I assume whatever muscle groups are used during prostrations are very underdeveloped. Are there any particular exercises I can do to help perform this practice safely and with more ease?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Exercises for Improving Prostrations

Post by Grigoris »

ardens2112 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:09 pm I'm currently in the process of trying to do daily prostrations in the Korean style but I'm finding it really hurts my knees to get up without using my hands for support, and it is difficult to spring back up using only the balls of my feet. I attempted 5-6 or so the other day and my knees are achy and a little bit wonky today. I'm worrying about potentially hurting my knees - I'm not a very athletic or flexible person, so I assume whatever muscle groups are used during prostrations are very underdeveloped. Are there any particular exercises I can do to help perform this practice safely and with more ease?
With the Tibetan prostrations the hands hit the floor first and support the body as it goes down. The knees don't touch the ground at all until one has completely laid down. The hands and arms slide forward.

On the return movement he hands are the last thing to leave the ground, pushing the body off the floor. The knees only come into play on the upwards motion from the squat. And it still hurts like a ... ! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
justsit

Post by justsit »

Is this the style of prostrations you are doing?

If so, the you will need to work primarily on thighs, glutes (butt), and abs. Good exercises for those are squats, lunges, and planks. If you are out of condition, be sure to start slowly so you don't sustain an injury. After you've done these for a while and can do them easily, you can add some hand weights while doing squats and lunges. Diet and exercise go together, so be sure you are eating healthily, and drink lots of water.

***Disclaimer. Please note: These are only suggestions based on what you posted. I am an RN, but not an MD or PT. You may have other health issues that would affect your exercise tolerance; please check with your doctor before starting any exercise program.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

justsit wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:59 pm Is this the style of prostrations you are doing?

[media]...[/media]

If so, the you will need to work primarily on thighs, glutes (butt), and abs. Good exercises for those are squats, lunges, and planks. If you are out of condition, be sure to start slowly so you don't sustain an injury. After you've done these for a while and can do them easily, you can add some hand weights while doing squats and lunges. Diet and exercise go together, so be sure you are eating healthily, and drink lots of water.

***Disclaimer. Please note: These are only suggestions based on what you posted. I am an RN, but not an MD or PT. You may have other health issues that would affect your exercise tolerance; please check with your doctor before starting any exercise program.
If you had to do accumulations of these of these types of prostrations, dropping on your knees like that, you would completely destroy your knees in no time.

Wear knee pads and put a couple of yoga mats down under the carpet/rug.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Grigoris wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:53 pm With the Tibetan prostrations the hands hit the floor first and support the body as it goes down. The knees don't touch the ground at all until one has completely laid down. The hands and arms slide forward.

On the return movement he hands are the last thing to leave the ground, pushing the body off the floor. The knees only come into play on the upwards motion from the squat. And it still hurts like a ... ! :smile:
I have usually seen people first putting hands then knees and then sliding down. Your version seems way harder.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
ardens2112

Post by ardens2112 »

justsit wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:59 pm Is this the style of prostrations you are doing?

Yep, that's the style! Thanks for the advice all. I'll invest in some knee pads and get started on the squats.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”