Exercise and weight loss - waste of time?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Miroku
Former staff member

Exercise and weight loss - waste of time?

Post by Miroku » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi!

Recently I have started pondering engaging in some form of exercise as with time my body has started accumulating fat and now I am the heaviest I have ever been (just 80 kg, but the BMI is getting uncomfortably close to being overweight). However, I have discovered some issues with motivation as I tend to see engaging in exercise a bit boring or even a waste of time compared to other activities.
Is there a sutra source that mentions Buddha's position on exericses? How do you go about keeping yourself fit? Do you have some recommendations for somebody like me who just really wants to get rid of the dangerous belly fat and be fit not necessarily ripped?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

tkp67

Re: Exercise and weight loss - waste of time?

Post by tkp67 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:26 pm

Our health influences our mind so diet and exercise for the benefit of health is very important. Diet and exercise have become markets because of human vanity and indulgence. Working out for washboard abs or working out for long sustained life fulfill different desires and might yield different results.

My grandmother lived to 105 by eating moderately and being mindful to always keep her circulation moving. As with my uncle nick (101). Both ate a Mediterranean diets and walked after ever meal. I saw them as carrying on practice that was common until modern times. I think that without all the distractions back then it was much easier for people to be attuned to how their diet and exercise effected their state of mind because both of these relatives had very balanced minds as well.
Last edited by tkp67 on Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:32 pm

Don't bombard your cells with nutrients. AFAIK too much sugar is poisonous to cells. The cells reject sugar and it goes on your belly. High fiber, low on the glycemic index, is better. In other words you don't develop insulin resistance.

As for exercise you do like aerobic activity.. simple stuff like meditation. Anaerobic exercise will tap your energy "reserves" or belly fat and is really quick and easy but requires extreme effort if only for a short amount of time. Look up TABATA if you like.

futerko

Post by futerko » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:44 pm

Miroku wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:51 pm
Hi!

Recently I have started pondering engaging in some form of exercise as with time my body has started accumulating fat and now I am the heaviest I have ever been (just 80 kg, but the BMI is getting uncomfortably close to being overweight). However, I have discovered some issues with motivation as I tend to see engaging in exercise a bit boring or even a waste of time compared to other activities.
Is there a sutra source that mentions Buddha's position on exericses? How do you go about keeping yourself fit? Do you have some recommendations for somebody like me who just really wants to get rid of the dangerous belly fat and be fit not necessarily ripped?
I guess it depends on your circumstances. It seems that the Buddha did quite a bit of walking.
I enjoy walking and cycling in nature - I live in a built up area on the edge of a large city, but with a nice large forest fairly close by. Gardening is also great exercise and you can see the fruits of your labour, which can be motivating.
may all beings be free from the delusion of humanism

Hazel

Post by Hazel » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Practice the middle way. Extremes are the enemy of health. Drop your caloric intake or lose weight too quickly and you can slow your metabolism. Starve yourself and you'll likely end up binge eat. Aim for healthy life style change and frame of mind.

Practice wisdom. Getting distracted by what people think of your appearance can lead to shame and clinging, both hazardous to the path (of good health). Same goes for your view of yourself.

Which beings us to....

Practice compassion. Self hatred will either lead to unsustainable choices born out of ignorance, quitting when you reach a roadblock, or never starting to begin with. Love yourself as you are so who you are is not an impediment of what you want to be.

Adjust your expectations. This is a long road and there's no easy fix. Imagine if you encountered a Buddhist teacher that was selling "enlightment in 3 easy steps!" This is what diet fads and programs are about. Truth is, to do this healthily it will take a while. Any inch is worth a mile.

Enjoy your practice. Find a way to get moving and feel good about it. Circus arts (particularly static trapeze) and weight lifting are super fun to me.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Miroku wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:51 pm
Hi!

Statistically, trying to actively "lose weight" tends to be a waste of time in the long term. If you look at the studies, not many are able to successfully drop a bunch of weight and keep it off. It happens, but it's much rarer than the diet/fitness world would have us believe. When people do lose weight, it's about long term diet modification usually, you can't exercise your way thin. It's better just to be healthy, there are better outcome to that approach than trying to directly lose weight/diet etc.

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/3/16845438/e ... n-calories this is some goofy Vox article, but AFAIK it is right on the money, exercise by itself simply will not help you lose weight, and most of weight loss is adjusting eating habits.

For exercise, IME you have to find something that is interesting to you, or at least minimally boring. If you're not into exercising generally, all I can think of is trying to do it as some sort of meditation, running or something.

I personally do HIIT training and martial arts. HIIT is great because it's so short attention span, you can do anything for a minute. Doing a HIIT class for a while you will naturally figure out how to create your own workouts too. I still have a big gut and pretty much gave up on getting rid of it, I try to focus on building core strength and getting cardiovascular exercise, a little every day, then two to three heavy workouts per week. Even with my gut my lab numbers are good if I do this. Again though, I exercise for health and because I like it, it is not making me lose weight.

Finally, I recommend https://www.darebee.com/, it's free and has a lot of good workouts that you can pretty much just pick up and do. The monthly challenges are also good to get you moving in a certain direction.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

boda

Post by boda » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:55 am

As others mention, exercise is healthy for the body and mind, and should be made a habit regardless of weight, assuming there’s a desire to be healthy and vital.

Also as others mention, diets don’t work. The only thing that works is a lifestyle adjustment to compensate for an aging metabolism, or whatever caused the unwanted weight gain. Making a habit of more exercise and being mindful of calorie intake is the essential formula.

I do many forms of exercise. Getting older, the diversity helps to prevent repetitive stress injuries, I believe. The most boring is lap swimming because there’s no possibility to distract yourself. Nevertheless I enjoy it. Sometimes it’s like a meditation. Other times it’s an opportunity to think about something undistracted. Sometimes I focus on technique, which can be like a meditation.

A new form of exercise I’ve been doing lately is standup paddle boarding. You can burn a lot of calories in a short period of time because it works many parts of the body, including the core. Plus it’s nice being emerged in nature.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”