The Veggie Enthusiast Corner

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

The Veggie Enthusiast Corner

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi,

lately I have been thinking it could be nice for us veggie folk here on DW to share our recepies, tips, reasons why we eat this way and more without the need to debate anti-vegan/vegetarian points. So please all of you dear folks, keep those debates for the threads where they belong. This is really meant only as a bunch of people talking about sth they like. If you do not like salads, keep it for yourself the same way you don't crash meetings of train lovers to tell them cars are better.

So some hopefully ice breaking questions: What is your favourite meal? What is your favourite treat? What made you go vegetarian/vegan? Did it help you?

Please feel free to ask your questions, post recepies here or anything veggie related. :namaste:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Re: The Veggie Enthusiast Corner

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:01 pm

So, since nobody has seen it yet, let me begin.

My veggie favourite is probably vegan french onion soup. I put a bit of vegetable stock and miso soup paste into it and it is just glorious. Really probably the first meal I have ever made that made my eyes roll back. Only a shame that I never had the chance to have it with a piece of toast as i always forgot to buy bread. Shame really.

My favourite treat is probably tofu yogurt. My boyfriend made it once for me. He whipped silken tofu and added some cocoa powder and just a bit of sugar into it together with some blueberries. It was really good. I could not believe for a while that it was tofu.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:52 pm

Könchok Thrinley wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:55 pm
What is your favourite meal? What is your favourite treat? What made you go vegetarian/vegan? Did it help you?

Please feel free to ask your questions, post recepies here or anything veggie related. :namaste:
I like this thread! Thanks for starting it.

1. My favorite meal is Mattar Paneer with basmati rice.
2. Mango on a stick. Once a year vendors would come to my area and bring huge, ripe, sweet mangoes and serve them with lime juice on a stick. Divine!
3. I don't like how many animals are treated in factory-farming situations. I promised that as long as I could stay healthy, I would refrain from meat.
4. Oh yes! It has helped a great deal. I used to get much more colds & flu before I went vegetarian. I ate few vegetables & lots of processed foods. Now I eat a ton of vegetables & fruits and rarely get sick. Also, I just feel better mentally, like a weight was lifted.

Looking forward to others answers!

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm

My attitude to food mirrors my attitude to life. My body is my house and I'm not trying to put an extension on it. I'm just trying to put out a few fires.

If this were 2015 every meal was a hefty ordeal; a know-nothing three hour surprise and a cupboard full of never to be used again ingredients (too expensive). So my first tip is to roll with common ingredients. Lots of veg go well together: so too pulses. Herbs and Spices are very tricky.

i would consult the cookbook or internet for a general idea of what herbs and spices for what veg. I say general so the recipe is a guideline, not a straight jacket. Cookbooks often contain a lot of filler, so you learn what not to do. Does the recipe require a strong flavour? Is it five lemons? is that a windup?

Going back to my first point a treat would be anything unhealthy. So if it's processed or tasty or something from a vegan restaurant... dunno, pick 2.

Good fast food is wok stir fry, smoothie or fruit salad. Easy, fast nutritious. EXAMPLES: grate beetroot and carrot. Squeeze on orange. Toast crushed walnuts (mix). Very filling: 100 calories. Next marinate tofu in soy sauce add cornflour, and grill with 2 bulbs of chopped fennel.

This is not a grafters food but fruit smoothies and raw veg with nuts is low G.I. and keeps energy high throughout the day. Top up calories after work with chips for a treat.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:58 pm

I've gone mostly veggie again for my health. My favorite meal is Dahl, or a Channa Masala. I usually throw in some chopped up greens too.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 pm

Nice idea for a thread. :) I've been vegan for over 20 years, and vegetarian for many years before that.

Favourite meal? Oh, that's a hard question to answer! I do like to eat, and my wife is a good cook and the queen of vegan desserts. Some Indian dishes like channa masala or lentil curry come to mind. Or a Thai massamun curry. Or my wife's lasagna. Let me get back to you on that.

Favourite treat? Dark chocolate. I can't help it; I'm an addict. A close second is strawberry-rhubarb pie.

Why did I go vegetarian / vegan? I became a Buddhist. I couldn't bring myself to eat sentient beings. And, as I became more aware, I couldn't bear to have them enslaved in my name.

Did it help me? There is no doubt that it helped me spiritually. It was good for me physically as well, though that was not my main motivation. For years, I had been entering a cross-country ski marathon, and attempting to get my time down to four hours, from four-and-a-half hours, without success. The year after I went vegan, my time dropped from 4:30 to 4:00:12, with no changes in my training.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:12 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:58 pm
I've gone mostly veggie again for my health. My favorite meal is Dahl, or a Channa Masala. I usually throw in some chopped up greens too.
oops wrong author Dahl didn't write Iron Man.

Joking aside, It would be great to get tips on Indian food. One of my colleagues goes to India quite a lot and she still can't make a good curry despite having all the opportunity in the world. Maybe Kathy knows the gist.
Last edited by DharmaN00b on Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:30 pm

DharmaN00b wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:12 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:58 pm
Was this a freudian slip? We know you're the iron man ;)

Joking aside, It would be great to get tips on Indian food. One of my colleagues goes to India quite a lot and she still can't make a good curry despite having all the opportunity in the world. Maybe Kathy knows the gist.
Ah, yes this is a good idea. Curry is the holy grail of my kitchen adventures, but I am absolutely unable to make a decent one (not to mention I use all sorts of curry pastes to make my job easier).

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm

The hardest thing about going vegetarian for me is that to a certain degree I have lost all the classical czech goodies and tasty dishes I used to love. Basically everything we eat here has meat in it. No wonder we are also the second fattest nation in Europe. But thankfully I inherited old cookbook from my father (it was his mother's) that was made in like early 1950's and at that time quite a lot of old czech recepies were still around. Mind you most of them had lard in them, but that is easily substituted. So now I can have all the lentil soups, legume burgers I want.

Not sure why I wrote this. Probably just to make you all jealous.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:04 pm

Könchok Thrinley wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Oh yeah? I'll see your 'not sure why' and raise you not sure why I'm not sure why...!

Ok, ethics 101. My first job at 15 was working in a 'meaty facility'. Vats of body fluids, freezer units stanking of urea. Blood blisters under every finger from washing up stacks of meaty trays. The final straw, on my last day, I rode my bike to work at 5 am and so tired I went straight into a parked car, splatted and rolled off.

Now, my grandmother always told me you don't know you've been born. Well, you would think I turned began at 15?! Not so. It took me a couple of decades to appreciate her point.

I don't want to set the world on fire...

GrapeLover

Post by GrapeLover » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:16 pm

It’s all about the grapes for me.

Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:36 pm

GrapeLover wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:16 pm
It’s all about the grapes for me.
Shame, if it were crepes we could have been friends. :tongue:

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 pm

KathyLauren wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:50 pm
Nice idea for a thread. :) I've been vegan for over 20 years, and vegetarian for many years before that.

Favourite meal? Oh, that's a hard question to answer! I do like to eat, and my wife is a good cook and the queen of vegan desserts. Some Indian dishes like channa masala or lentil curry come to mind. Or a Thai massamun curry. Or my wife's lasagna. Let me get back to you on that.

Favourite treat? Dark chocolate. I can't help it; I'm an addict. A close second is strawberry-rhubarb pie.

Why did I go vegetarian / vegan? I became a Buddhist. I couldn't bring myself to eat sentient beings. And, as I became more aware, I couldn't bear to have them enslaved in my name.

Did it help me? There is no doubt that it helped me spiritually. It was good for me physically as well, though that was not my main motivation. For years, I had been entering a cross-country ski marathon, and attempting to get my time down to four hours, from four-and-a-half hours, without success. The year after I went vegan, my time dropped from 4:30 to 4:00:12, with no changes in my training.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Cool. :thumbsup:

My answers are almost exactly like Kathy's answers above.

Favorite meal: stir fry tofu with curry sauce
Favorite treat: dark chocolate
Why did I become veg: Buddhism, First Precept; gradually the other issues were a motivation too, the environment, factory farming, nutrition, but the original and main motivation was Buddhism.

I don't do marathons, but have done stairclimbing. I've gone up the 77 story US Bank tower in Los Angeles and the 109 story Strat building in Vegas and some others. I also do weightlifting, lifting more times my body weight than most meat eaters my age.

Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:00 am

Könchok Thrinley wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm
The hardest thing about going vegetarian for me is that to a certain degree I have lost all the classical czech goodies and tasty dishes I used to love. Basically everything we eat here has meat in it. No wonder we are also the second fattest nation in Europe. But thankfully I inherited old cookbook from my father (it was his mother's) that was made in like early 1950's and at that time quite a lot of old czech recepies were still around. Mind you most of them had lard in them, but that is easily substituted. So now I can have all the lentil soups, legume burgers I want.

Cold climate food has to provide more energy - calories - than warm climate food. That means lots of starchy veg, lots of fat and/or lots of sugar, especially if there isn't much meat. (Meat is energy-dense.) Living in the tropics as I do, I don't want or need Northern-European-style meals but I do see the reasons for the tradition.
And poor people's food was always primarily vegetarian, just because they couldn't afford much meat. Look at all the legume-based soups, as you say, and porridges, or the stews with just enough meat for flavour. Most of that sort of local cooking is pretty easy to adapt to be totally vegetarian, and some will go okay as vegan recipes.

:namaste:
Kim

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”