Bullworker and isometrics.

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
tellyontellyon

Bullworker and isometrics.

Post by tellyontellyon »

I've been using an old style piece of exercise equipment called a Bullworker. I use it for isometric exercise. It does seem to work and tone me up with not a great deal of time or effort. Isometric exercises are also supposed to help with elevated blood pressure, so that is good for me too as I get a problem with that.

I wonder if any of you remember the Bullworker and if you have found it helpful?
Or any form of isometric exercise, like planking or whatever?
💪💪💪
"Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself."
- Rumi
DharmaN00b

Re: Bullworker and isometrics.

Post by DharmaN00b »

I would argue that longevity is increased by validation of you positive behavours. The bullworker traps my hairy chest, so actually avoiding springs and pulleys can be quite useful. :smile:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Looks kind of cool. I am always one for trying out weird gear.

The bodyblade is my favorite piece of weird exercise gear I've come across.

Other than that for strength training I really like club swinging and bodyweight exercises - a TRX or rings is especially handy, so to speak. I bought a macebell recently, it was intimidating as hell at first, I was afraid of wrecking my joints, but I went slowly and now I have to say it's fantastic for increasing one's functional strength, and especially your grip.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
Minobu

Post by Minobu »

tellyontellyon wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:33 pm I've been using an old style piece of exercise equipment called a Bullworker. I use it for isometric exercise. It does seem to work and tone me up with not a great deal of time or effort. Isometric exercises are also supposed to help with elevated blood pressure, so that is good for me too as I get a problem with that.

I wonder if any of you remember the Bullworker and if you have found it helpful?
Or any form of isometric exercise, like planking or whatever?
💪💪💪
i had one when they first came out..

they do work but i caution...you do not need to go max on what you can compress...there was a measure attached and i did not head the warning and i grew big fast but i ended up with a few weird knots in my arm and wrist that went away after a few YEARS ...
narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 »

Long duration planks facing down, and also facing up. Facing up noticeably helps me maintain posture on the motorcycle which is much appreciated. Also pushups and leg raises. I'm not much into equipment but I do mess around with a pair of barbells. I had to give up flys with the 20lb+ barbells, tends to damage the nerves on my left arm if I push- so lighter weights there. Single leg squats and a bit of running for the legs.

Recently I've been working on sitting half-lotus, going to need a lot of stretching to make that work for any substantial duration...
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

Another new gadget I've been using, and I like is called the Isoflo. It can be used isometrically or with movement. I find it is good for the shoulders and back. I can get a stiff neck and shoulders and I found this really helped to loosen them up.
- Rumi
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:39 am Long duration planks facing down, and also facing up.
How long do you plank for?
How do you do them facing up?
💪
- Rumi
narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 »

A minute is a basic interval, each repeat of that is a rep. Reps until time to move on to something else. Facing up, I find a low couch or similar, rest my shoulders on it and hold the body up with heels. If its getting boring and a chair or ottoman or something is reasonably nearly, then put the heels on that and do bends up and down without touching the floor.
tellyontellyon

Post by tellyontellyon »

narhwal90 wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:40 pm A minute is a basic interval, each repeat of that is a rep. Reps until time to move on to something else. Facing up, I find a low couch or similar, rest my shoulders on it and hold the body up with heels.
They both sound like pretty good exercises. I'm guessing if you do it without moving then you don't get trouble with back pain?
I might give it a go.
- Rumi
narhwal90

Post by narhwal90 »

Exercise in general has helped, I've not had difficulties with my back or legs in quite some time. That said, I do add other related exercises. Squats (15 reps using one leg, then again on the other) have notably helped when standing after kneeling/sitting. If a plank causes back/joint pain then I think another method is preferable until it can be done safely. I found quick improvements at first, trembling fades, duration builds more slowly but not too long before a minute passes easily. I'd suggest starting at higher angles first; back rest of a couch or high table edge (easier when facing downwards), as you gain tone find more horizontal positions so you have to work harder.

I have to be careful with free weights, my left arm is prone to nerve damage and the shoulder joint moving around if I push too hard or too heavy- so I've switched to lighter weights moved slowly (each motion up and down over a count of 10 instead of a couple seconds)- so far so good.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”