Dermabond: stitches alternative for wound sealing

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Thrasymachus

Dermabond: stitches alternative for wound sealing

Post by Thrasymachus »

On Friday night I went swimming and cut the inside portion of one of my toes fairly deep. On Sunday I tried to get a doctor to see if they could use dermabond to glue it shut to heal faster, but they told me it was over 24 hours and they wouldn't do it because it wouldn't stick or it was too late. It still hurts when I walk too much so I want it to heal as fast possible.

Does anyone know if the 24 hour thing was just something that they made up or otherwise incorrect? I am thinking of just doing it myself(except with 3m Vetbond since it is cheaper).
Simon E.

Re: Dermabond: stitches alternative for wound sealing

Post by Simon E. »

MUCH more important than what the wound is sealed with ( and I personally see no need for an alternative to stiches ) is to check to see that you are up to date with Tetanus cover.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Thrasymachus

Post by Thrasymachus »

Well the doctor said since it is in between the two toes, it would be hard to stitch. I wouldn't have minded if they stitched it, but she said it was too late for gluing or stitching. They tried to give me a tetanus shot but I lied and said I was current. They also proscribed me oral anti-biotics called Keflex. Image If they prescribed topical I would have used it, but I am not dumb enough to destroy all my beneficial gut flora and bacteria just because a doctor recommends to or because it might make the wound heal faster.

These are the ingredients of two variants of the tetanus vaccine:
Center for Disease Control wrote: CDC.gov: Vaccine Excipient & Media Summary Excipients Included in U.S. Vaccines, by Vaccine[PDF]

DT: aluminum potassium sulfate, peptone, bovine extract, formaldehyde, thimerosal (trace), modified Mueller and Miller medium

DTaP(Daptacel) : aluminum phosphate, formaldehyde, glutaraldehyde, 2-Phenoxyethanol, Stainer-Scholte medium, modified Mueller’s growth medium, modified
Mueller-Miller casamino acid medium (without beef heart infusion)
(There are more variants listed in the PDF which I didn't paste, but one gets the point.)

Needless to say that is toxic stuff and I am not putting it directly in my blood. I will leave that to others who baste in ignorance.
Last edited by Thrasymachus on Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Durn doctors eh.
Well clearly qualified medical help is not to your taste. So I will wish you well and withdraw.

:namaste:

Thrasymachus

Post by Thrasymachus »

Yes, I sought qualified medical help and stupid me, I waited about two hours, filled a lot of paper work and still did not receive the simple stitches or dermabonding which I didn't think was an unreasonable request. Yet they offered to inject me with well known poisons like aluminum phosphate, formaldehyde and the tissue protein of the diseased animal mediums used to culture the vaccine(which they cannot exclude other unwanted virus and bacteria from contaminating, of which there is considerable amounts since they need a diseased medium to grow viruses and bacteria upon).
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The 24 hour deal is true for stiches and dermabonding. If it has stopped bleeding after 24 hours then obviously it does not need stiches anyway. Keep it clean and dry and if you are worried about infections use some tea tree oil or st johns wort on it.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I keep a dermabond pen around because I hate waiting in emerg. If it was my face though I would rush to emerg. You only have about 4 hours to prevent scaring. 12 hours is too long. By then you may just be sealing in an infection. Bites don't even bother. Sealing them is pointless. You don't need a script for polysporin. Go get it at any pharmacy. Your views on vaccination are entertaining. You should join the Flat Earth Society.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

gregkavarnos wrote:The 24 hour deal is true for stiches and dermabonding. If it has stopped bleeding after 24 hours then obviously it does not need stiches anyway. Keep it clean and dry and if you are worried about infections use some tea tree oil or st johns wort on it.
In European practice, in accordance with EU guidelines SECONDARY suturing which is a more complex procedure, can happen several days after the the original wound. A foot wound is one site where this might be considered due to the problems incurred by the wound opening due to pressure, unless the subject stays off their feet for a number of days.
I can find no sources that indicate that Tee-Tree oil or other plant sourced material is likely to be effective against Tetanus baccilli or spores thereof. Which are highly virulent. And no topical application is effective.
If one of my family had a cut foot in a warm damp situation where people had walked in street shoes and in bare feet I would be most concerned unless all the preventive means had been deployed..

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Simon E. wrote:I can find no sources that indicate that Tee-Tree oil or other plant sourced material is likely to be effective against Tetanus baccilli or spores thereof.
It's not effective against tetanus. Tea tree and st johns wort are anti-septics and not anti-fungals. But you may have noticed that "Thrasymachus" has expressed extreme aversion towards a tetanus shot so it doesn't seem to be worth the effort to continue the discussion with him. If he does contract tetanus then I am sure he may change his mind about the situation. Ιn Greece we say: άσε τον τρελό στην τρέλα του. You can ask "Thrasymachus" to translate that for you since he is Greek too! :smile:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Lhug-Pa

Post by Lhug-Pa »

Nemo wrote:Your views on vaccination are entertaining. You should join the Flat Earth Society.
http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.ph ... 07#p174907
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

W.H.O figures for death by Tetanus for the year 2011 which are the most recent available..309000 easily preventable and extremely painful deaths.
The vast majority in counties that rely on folk medicine. And many of them children.
The list of preservative and transport agents found in the Tetanus shot is the same as that which used to be found in the Smallpox shot..I say used to be because of course Smallpox has been irradicated by the W.H.O vaccination programme...Large swathes of the worlds population no longer have to rely on placating the smallpox goddess or applying poultices to the lesions.

Incidentally the ingredients list of Dermabond make interesting reading in terms of exposure to open blood vessels..Many of them derive from the petrochemical industry.
They are also nothing to be phobic about of course.
But then I guess the definition of phobia is that it is irrational.

Thrasymachus

Post by Thrasymachus »

Anyway, maybe it is time to give some closure to this thread. Obviously, I never got a tetanus vaccine or filled the prescription for oral antibiotics and I also never get tetanus. Infact I am probably healthier for it as almost all such medical interventions cause more problems than they cure. The reason why I took so long to go to a doctor, was I falsely assumed since that when I took my cat for what I thought was a broken foot(it was just a cyst and swelling) I was able to find several 24/7 emergency vets in the area, I would be able to find the same for doctors, but nope in the corrupt USA, you have to go to a hospital or nothing if you want flexible hours. So that is why I could not get dermabond in time, since I sleep most of the day and try to wake up at 3pm since I work at night. Anyway the only thing that proved useful from that doctor's visit is they taught me how to bandage a cut between the toes properly. What you have to do is put gauze on the wound between the two toes, and then tape both of the adjacent toes so they will not rub together and re-infect the healing gash. I found that out the hard way, after I removed the initial bandage and was too lazy to get gauze and medical tape to re-bandage it. I ended up limping in pain from a few days at work, because it kept getting re-infected from the movement of the two toes re-opening the cut. When I re-bandaged it I was fine to walk, and now has been totally healed for some time.

@Simon E:
In the so called developing world, which is better termed the colonized world or the purposefully underdeveloped world, because Western Europe and later the ex-Anglosphere colonies of England have been purposefully underdeveloping these regions through their imperialism for centuries through today --- the problem is not a lack of vaccines. Their problem is that where most people defecate, urinate and throw their trash is almost always the same place they draw their water from. Look up "flying toilet", basically in much of the world people shit in plastic bags and throw them wherever they can. So the populations there have weak immune systems and the populations there are susceptible to all sorts of diseases like tetanus. But I am not drinking water drawn a few yards or feet from where I am shitting, so that does not apply to me or almost anyone on this forum. This is their problem, not a lack of tetanus or other dangerous vaccines. The imperialist West and their manipulative organizations like the World Health Organization focuses their so called "aid efforts" on items like vaccines, precisely what will never help, infact it just indebts these countries and societies more to Western petro-chemical and pharmaceutical interests. What they need instead is for Westerners to go home, forgive the unjust debts and allow them to develop the same sanitation advances that actually allowed Westerners to be largely free from infectious diseases, and which are improperly attributed to a miracle of vaccines by the medical industry.

Dermabond is nothing like getting a vaccine. The wound would most likely be clotted, which while still partially permeable is nowhere near as dangerous as direct injection of poisonous vaccines in the bloodstream. To give one small example, recently, non-corporate allied alternative medical websites were abuzz with the following bombshell:
Sayer Ji wrote: Greenmedinfo: CDC ‘Disappears’ Page Linking Polio Vaccines To Cancer-Causing Viruses

The alternative media is justifiably abuzz with a story about the CDC deleting a page on their website admitting that as many as 98 million Americans received polio vaccine contaminated with the cancer-linked monkey virus SV40, ... they removed the page sometime after July 11th ...
But I already knew this type of dangerous Russian roulette was common with vaccines, back in March 2013 I made a post with excerpts from world class investigative journalist Janine Roberts that displayed that vaccine safety scientists in the US&UK knew that vaccine were cross contaminated with all sorts of pathogens, bacteria and foreign DNA.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”