Egg protein powder

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
AlexanderS

Egg protein powder

Post by AlexanderS »

I apologize if this has been done before.

But I'm attempting to go vegetarian, but Im struggling with getting enough protein. I have a quite to poor digestive system and I don't tolerate whey protein powder, nor soy, nor Brown rice protein powder.

I was thinking about trying out egg protein powder, but is that highly unethical from a buddhist pov?
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Egg protein powder

Post by kirtu »

I was thinking about trying out egg protein powder, but is that highly unethical from a buddhist pov?
No, it's better than eating meat protein if you are trying to reduce meat consumption or trying to eventually go vegetarian.

Different people will view this differently but it is clearly better to consume egg protein than meat and fish if that's the best you can do.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Why eat any protein powder? Is combining various plants to get that protein too rough on your digestive system due to e.g. insoluble fiber? Humans aren't obligate carnivores, as a general rule.

Maybe you're trying to be a vegetarian athlete? That'll be a different challenge, and one that touches on body beautification, entertainments, etc.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
deff

Post by deff »

you could also try pea protein and/or hemp protein and see if it agrees with you :smile:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

deff wrote:you could also try pea protein and/or hemp protein and see if it agrees with you :smile:
Note: if you try pea/hemp/rice protein be sure to get the flavoured stuff coz it taste completely foul!

Why do you need protein supplements? Are you a professional athlete?
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
AlexanderS

Post by AlexanderS »

Well I would like to use protein powder out of convenience when I can't get some proper food, but yes i'm also quite physically active and I'm also doing the prostrations in the ngöndro. I have an illness that makes it difficult for me to build and maintain muscle mass so protein powder could be really handy going meat free.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

AlexanderS wrote:Well I would like to use protein powder out of convenience when I can't get some proper food, but yes i'm also quite physically active and I'm also doing the prostrations in the ngöndro. I have an illness that makes it difficult for me to build and maintain muscle mass so protein powder could be really handy going meat free.
If you have an illness related to nutrient uptake, you should talk to your doctor before changing your diet.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

There are other vegetarian protein powders besides egg, whey, soy and rice. There's also hemp, casein, pea, and grain/bean powders. Probably some others too. :)
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Lindama

Post by Lindama »

Eat fresh eggs!!! I love fresh pastured eggs.... they are grown without grain feeds which are mostly corn and/or GMO. Pastured is not the same as free range or organic. The chicken of the month is named Silky... she has her own personality.... last month, it was Rosie. There is nothing more delicious that poached eggs lightly cooked with butter. You will pay more, but it's worth it. They may be hard to find if you are in a city. BTW, the egg white is not the most nutritious part although it is high in protein .... it has it's own problems. I eat them, but only with the whole egg and the yolk. Ofc, fresh duck eggs have more of everything, but it's like eating the barnyard and the whites are very tough unless cooked properly.

I've used protein powders over the years, I shy away from them. Most of them are just another version of highly processed foods with high heat which changes the nutritional value, and are capable of creating/aggravating allergies. You will pay a lot for properly process protein powder and even then, I'll pass. I've tried them all....

Soak your almonds overnight... they are an excellent source of protein.... but should be soaked. Soak a handful at a time, drain and eat them that day. Avoid peanuts and peanut butter.

Listen to your body, I know vegetarians of 25+ years who felt better when they went back to eating meat/chicken/fish. Being a vegetarian means going the extra mile, don't rely on processed foods or meal replacements. I am not a vegetarian although I eat meat rarely. These days I avoid fish :( , eat pastured ground beef and some quality chicken once in a while.

My personal phobia: avoid soy whatever you do. Veggies have a surprising amount of protein if you can let go of the protein craze. And, don't forget the healthy oils, butter, coconut oil, olive oil....
Not last night,
not this morning,
melon flowers bloomed.
~ Bassho
Luke

Post by Luke »

AlexanderS wrote: But I'm attempting to go vegetarian, but Im struggling with getting enough protein. I have a quite to poor digestive system and I don't tolerate whey protein powder, nor soy, nor Brown rice protein powder.
Is seitan available where you live? 100 grams of it contains 21 grams of protein, which is pretty good even by bodybuilder standards! :twothumbsup:
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calori ... jg5Nw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But it's made from wheat gluten, and I don't know if you will have trouble digesting that, but it's worth a try if you want to be a vegetarian.

Also, lentils have 9 g of protein per 100 g, which isn't so much, but it's better than most other beans.
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calori ... 4NTAw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlexanderS wrote:I was thinking about trying out egg protein powder, but is that highly unethical from a buddhist pov?
Egg protein powder isn't any more or less ethical than eating regular eggs. And you don't need to be a vegetarian in order to be a Buddhist, but it can be good to be a vegetarian if you are doing it for positive reasons.

Or what's cheaper than protein powder is just eating eggs. Here's a trick I got from a bodybuilding website: take a microwavable tupperware container and place about 5 or 6 egg whites in it along with 1 or 2 egg yolks. Mix them together to break up the yolks. You can also add a few chopped vegetables and some spices like pepper if you want. Then just microwave it until it is thoroughly cooked (in my microwave, it takes about 10 minutes). It's easy to bring to work! :D

Whoa! 100 g of pumpkin seeds contains 30g of protein! That ain't bad... :D
http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calori ... DM1OQ.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cottage cheese also has lots of protein and has less carbs than most other dairy products.

And if you go vegetarian, take B12 supplements, because you can't get much B12 from a vegetarian diet.

You might also consider taking BCAAs. I haven't used them much, but many people find them beneficial.
http://www.thestrengthagenda.com/2012/0 ... our-money/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But if you are an athlete and protein is your priority, I don't see why you would even bother going vegetarian. We are each indirectly responsible for lots of killing no matter what we do. For example, if you drink tea, countless insects were killed while harvesting the tea leaves.

Don't let the vegetarians put a guilt trip on you for wanting to eat more protein. There is lots of anti-protein propaganda on vegetarian websites ("Why do you want more protein? Did you know that even cucumbers contain protein?! I eat very little protein feel just grrrrrreat! How selfish and evil of you to want more protein!" lol ).
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Luke wrote:But if you are an athlete and protein is your priority, I don't see why you would even bother going vegetarian. We are each indirectly responsible for lots of killing no matter what we do. For example, if you drink tea, countless insects were killed while harvesting the tea leaves.

Don't let the vegetarians put a guilt trip on you for wanting to eat more protein. There is lots of anti-protein propaganda on vegetarian websites ("Why do you want more protein? Did you know that even cucumbers contain protein?! I eat very little protein feel just grrrrrreat! How selfish and evil of you to want more protein!" lol ).
Please don't start a vegetarian vs. meat eating tangent in this thread. It seems the vegetarian debate thread on this site is locked but you can make a new thread. Also, the one on Dhamma Wheel is still open if you want to contribute there.

:focus:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Mkoll wrote: Please don't start a vegetarian vs. meat eating tangent in this thread. It seems the vegetarian debate thread on this site is locked but you can make a new thread. Also, the one on Dhamma Wheel is still open if you want to contribute there.
I don't think that merely offering a differing opinion is creating conflict. I was just giving the other side of the story and showing that not every western Buddhist matches people's stereotypes of what Buddhists are. I don't think that it's hurtful to point out that some of us here eat meat and do intense exercise. We don't all need to be stereotypical vegetarian hippies who do only yoga for exercise! lol

Anyway, I hope that everybody reaches their diet and fitness goals, whatever they may be.

Athletes who still want to be vegan might find Mike Mahler's articles interesting. He also has many high-protein vegan recipes on his website.
http://www.mikemahler.com/online-librar ... -work.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

AlexanderS wrote: I was thinking about trying out egg protein powder, but is that highly unethical from a buddhist pov?
What makes you think that eating eggs is unethical from a buddhist pov? Eggs that we eat are not fertilized, hence you are not killing anything. If you are concerned with the treatment of egg laying hens, I think getting genuinely free range eggs from a local farm is the best bet.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Luke wrote:We don't all need to be stereotypical vegetarian hippies who do only yoga for exercise! lol
I'm a stereotypical vegetarian hippy who does Muay Thai (and BJJ) for exercise. For a living actually.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Protein powder doesn't sound tasty anyhow.
There's much protein in peanuts also. Fried vegetables with cheese & peanuts. Yummie. :smile:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Personally, I wouldn't recommend powders. But if you want them, you could try Soylent. Apparently, it's all the rage among techie types and programmers who would rather code than take the time to eat.

And no, it's not made from people! :lol:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

:shock: Sounds like "Soylent Green", the food that was made out of human flesh in this old sience fiction movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this link to "soylent" needs hours to open. Very suspicious. Image
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

phpBB [video]
KonchokZoepa

Post by KonchokZoepa »

i was too lazy to read the answers but if i remember correctly you can get enormous amount of protein from broccoli. if it was not broccoli it was some other green broccoli looking vegetable, which is a great source of protein. no need to take powders.
If the thought of demons
Never rises in your mind,
You need not fear the demon hosts around you.
It is most important to tame your mind within....

In so far as the Ultimate, or the true nature of being is concerned,
there are neither buddhas or demons.
He who frees himself from fear and hope, evil and virtue,
will realize the insubstantial and groundless nature of confusion.
Samsara will then appear as the mahamudra itself….

-Milarepa

OMMANIPADMEHUNG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls6P9tOYmdo
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

KonchokZoepa wrote:i was too lazy to read the answers but if i remember correctly you can get enormous amount of protein from broccoli. if it was not broccoli it was some other green broccoli looking vegetable, which is a great source of protein. no need to take powders.
Broccoli doesn't have much protein, about the same as spinach. I've never heard of a vegetable with lots of protein unless you count peas, soybeans, etc.

Maybe on a per calorie basis, vegetables have a lot of protein. But even if that were so, one would need need to eat vegetables like a cow eats grass to get the same amount of protein that's in a handful of soybeans.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”