indian food

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Re: indian food

Post by A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha »

Here's another recipe for Kadhi (i keep spelling it wrong)...I like to look at sever different recipes to get a feeling for it, as I am not Indian and don't know as much as a well expereinced Indian cook...I've only been doing it for 10 years or so, and not every day....my family was getting really sick of Indian food because I cooked it all the time, so I had to lay low for a while....I usually just cook it for myself occasionally now.

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_dis ... d=%2012792
rory

Post by rory »

Kunga; thanks! I appreciate your giving the spinach alternative. Making pakoras, well never have done and probably won't as it's pretty labor intensive & I don't deep fry at home.
Though come and eat at our house;-) We make Indian food about twice a week, we all love Southern food, kootus, sambar, homey stuff. When we got sick of it, I then moved up to Gujarat cuisine. Don't care for Punjabi food. We make Southern Indian, Persian and Italian & Adventist (American) that's our rota.

Do you have any homey Jain curries? I'd love to make some to go with that fab dal (I have a ton for weekend leftovers)
this is such a fun thread:)
gassho & thanks
Rory
Namu Kanzeon Bosatsu
Chih-I:
The Tai-ching states "the women in the realms of Mara, Sakra and Brahma all neither abandoned ( their old) bodies nor received (new) bodies. They all received buddhahood with their current bodies (genshin)" Thus these verses state that the dharma nature is like a great ocean. No right or wrong is preached (within it) Ordinary people and sages are equal, without superiority or inferiority
Paul, Groner "The Lotus Sutra in Japanese Culture"eds. Tanabe p. 58
https://www.tendai-usa.org/
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

The only curries i have made (and learned from a Jain lady, that isn't very Jain :smile: ) are:

Aloo gobi (Potato's & califlower)
Kadda Ki Subji (squash)
Sukhi Arbi (dry) (taro root)
Bhindi (okra)

One of my favorites is a Punjabi curry called Aloo Methi :smile:

Here's my recipe for Aloo Gobi :
You will need:

Potates
Califlower
cumin seed
tumeric
grahm masala
salt & pepper
fresh cilantro

onion & garlic are not Jain but also an option :smile:

Method:

Saute cumin seeds in oil/ghee (i prefer ghee)
cut into chunks potato & califlower
add tumeric, salt pepper, grahm masala

cook until tender/soft (until potatoes are done)
fliping occasionally to prevent sticking & burning

add fresh chopped cilantro
season as nessessary

I'll post the other recipes later

Thanks for the invite :smile: :cheers:

Food is my favorite Dharma subject :shrug:
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Rory,
I went shopping yesterday to get the ingredients for your recipe (Tofu Croquettes ), but I didn't get the Nutritional Yeast, I thought regular yeast ws the same thing, (i've never used it before !) So when I get the NY I'll be ready to make it :)

:namaste:
Dema

Post by Dema »

(I have not read the whole thread sorry i am lazy) if someone hasn't already mentioned it. If you live in the states. Amy's brand food who make vegetarian and vegan canned an frozen meals actually makes some pretty good Indian type food. I get them for work a lot of the time. I am spoiled I have 2-3 awesome restaurants and one with a buffet that has a lot of veggie stuff i can eat. also about an hour from me is an Indian grocery store that is big. has a lot of fresh quick prepared foods as well. including dessert .
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā-Green Tara
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Mama Ayuḥ Punya Jñānā Puṣtiṃ Kuru Svāhā-White Tara
Om gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi ye soha
luisquiroz

Post by luisquiroz »

Hello there,
What are the best things about Indian food?
Thanks in advance
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

luisquiroz wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:54 pm Hello there,
What are the best things about Indian food?
Thanks in advance
It tastes good?

Kevin
minin

Post by minin »

Hello
Unlike western dishes, Indian recipes are based on ingredients and spices whose flavors are unique in taste.My most favorite Indian dish is Biryani.Its Spicy rice dish with vegetables or chicken or mutton.
Thanks
shawn412

Post by shawn412 »

Hiiiiiii
Guys indian food are best in flovour and have a great spices , here are our some Indian delicous recipes, from scrumptious biryanis to lip smacking curries and kebabs that you and your family can enjoy With temperature's rising,

1. Lemon Chicken
2. Chettinad Fish Fry
3. Guilt-Free Galouti Kebab
4. Dum Aloo Lakhnawi
5. Keema Biryani
6. Dum Paneer Kali Mirch
7. Shahi Egg Curry
8. Malabari Prawn Curry
9. Makhmali Kofte
Youe have you try theses.......... :D
shawn412

Post by shawn412 »

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I just stocked up on some new/common ingredients and made a pretty yummy lunch.

First time I've tried them, but I bought a large jar of Curry Leaves (not a curry spice powder, but the south Asian leaf that comes from a tree)

2 Bottles of Ghee Frying oil (80% Ghee / 20% Grapeseed oil)

Cumin Seeds, Ajman Seeds, Mustard seeds, Tamarind Paste. (The only ones I haven't used before are the Ajman seed and the curry leaf)

I already have most common Indian/middle eastern seasonings/spices/etc.. except hing. I will forever shun that stuff. give me garlic, and onions anyday.

Which Indian seasonings do you find yourselves using the most? (For me it's probably cumin (seed and powder), Coriander Seed/Powder, Cardamom Powder, Mustard Seed, Chilly Powder, and Fenugreek, also pretty much every dish gets some amount of Garam Masala at the end.)

I also finally caved and decided to try the instant-pot thing. It's like a mixture between a Rice Cooker / Slow Cooker / Pressure Cooker and a Saute Pan all in one. It's pretty awesome after having used it.

Anyway, here's what I just made for lunch, I don't remember the recipe(name), or author either.. but I just took the basic idea of it and ran with that.

I'm just gonna call it Indian Fried Rice :P
-------------------------------------
Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Basmati Rice
  • 1 and 3/4 Cup Water
  • 3 Tablespoons Ghee, or Clarified Butter. (Use slightly less of any other high smoke point oil as a replacement, then add butter to taste at the end)
  • Spices: Cumin Powder+Seeds, Coriander Powder & Seeds, Cardamon Powder, Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Curry Leaf, Garam Masala, Mustard Seed, Chillie Powder (Mexican/American Type used in Chillie, Non-Spicey.), Fenugreek, cinnamon, turmeric
  • 1/2 Tablespoon - 1 Tablespoon (to preference) of whatever stock Paste flavor you want. I used chicken but use veggie/beef/seafood. I'm honestly not sure what amount to use when using the hard cubed stocks, as they contain a lot of salt. The paste I use has non, or minimal salt.
Basically, you crumble about 2-3 TABLESPOONS (ya it seems like alot.. but measure it before powdering.) of died curry leaf into a powder and throw it in a pot with about -2-3 tablespoons of ghee / clarified butter.

Throw in about a teaspoon EACH of: Cumin Seed, Chilly Powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp of cumin powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, and a 1/2 tsp of cardamom powder, 1/2 tsp turmeric

Heat the seasonings up right until they become fragrant. (Difference between fragrant well-infused oil and a burnt mess can be less than 15 seconds!)

After that Immediately dump in Two Cups (American cups) of Water. (Sorry, I don't know metric.)

Now add 1 teaspoon each to water mixture of Mustard Seed, Garam Masala, Coriander seed, add a tiny pinch of Cinnamon, Pinch of Sugar(if wanted), Add around a teaspoon or a bit more of powdered Fenugreek, and then Add the Stock to the water, and stir it to dissolve, now salt the liquid to taste. (Remember this is essentially now a seasoned stock, that will flavor 2 cups of rice, salt it accordingly.)

Notes: I am guessing on most amounts of seasonings, as I did this recipe by intuition, and not a recipe.. and I didn't write it down, so use your best judgment if something sounds off amount wise. The main flavors in this were the Chicken Stock + Curry Leaf, cumin seed, coriander seed, coriander + cardamon + cumin powder to a lesser degree, with everything else being background accent flavors.

So back to the recipe, Add your two cups of Basmati Rice, and Stir it in well.

After mixing the rice so that the oils/seasonings are well mixed/coating the rice grains; (I was using an insta-pot), so I used the pressure cooker setting on high pressure for 5 minutes.) It came out perfect for me. Others may like slightly softer rice, so you could probably add 1-2 minutes to cooking time.

If you do not have an instant-pot, I would say just make it the normal way you make basmati rice. The cooking time should be precisely the same.

Additional notes: I still do not know 100% every seasoning/seed that can be cooked in oil without burning. I only listed the seasonings I know can be fried. I probably should read more on that, so im gonna link an article that im about to read in case you want to know more. (In indian cooking frying seasonings in oil before using them brings out a number of flavors that would otherwise be lacking/dull etc.) It also infuses all of those flavors into the oil.

If you make it, hope you enjoy it :P

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/indi ... pices.html
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

Sounds very Indian Jesse :)
I would of fried the mustard seed too....actually i fry all seeds first, then add the powders...Graham Masala last...
I love fresh curry leaves too...
I use a lot of Tumeric & cumin seed, cardamon seed (for chai), i love mustard seed on dokala (fried in ghee)
and i LOVE hing ! (Especially in Toor Dahl)

I was cutting lot's of paneer the other day...made a mango lassi, and fried some paneer in ghee w/cumin seeds....
35920360_10215010192467035_4911367318556114944_o.jpg
weitsicht

Post by weitsicht »

@kunga that did you do with all that Paneer?!?

Any opinion on Mustard Seed Oil: healthy or poisonous? Brought a litre from Kathmandu.

About spices: do you adhere to expiry dates? (I don't, at all)
Ho! All the possible appearances and existences of samsara and nirvana have the same source, yet two paths and two results arise as the magical display of awareness and unawareness.
HO NANG SRI KHOR DAE THAMCHE KUN ZHI CHIG LAM NYI DRAE BU NYI RIG DANG MA RIG CHOM THRUL TE
A Ah Sha Sa Ma Ha

weitsicht wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 pm @kunga that did you do with all that Paneer?!?

Any opinion on Mustard Seed Oil: healthy or poisonous? Brought a litre from Kathmandu.

About spices: do you adhere to expiry dates? (I don't, at all)

I cut up 3 blocks of it & put in freezer for future use.....it gets used a lot....one of my favorite dishes , you fry the paneer.in in butter or ghee with cumin seeds...then add onion, red bell pepper green bell pepper, (sauté )...then add heavy cream, little tomato sauce, salt & pepper.

I don't use mustard oil much....but i love mustard seeds....

I like things fresh...so i pay attention to expiration dates, even on spices....but sometimes they are fine too, after expiration....

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”