On retreat - how important is it to exercise?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
prsvrnc

On retreat - how important is it to exercise?

Post by prsvrnc »

Multi-week retreats. How important is it to engage in strenuous exercise? When I don't have a rigorous dharma schedule, I consider exercise to be a major component to feeling good and emotional well-being. Should I dedicate time each day to rigorous exercise even though it takes up limited time on retreat? Maybe in leu of exercise it is possible to reduce your calorie-intake and focus on long practice hours instead?
What do you think? What is the advice of teachers on this topic?
MiphamFan

Re: On retreat - how important is it to exercise?

Post by MiphamFan »

Depending on what practice you are doing, some Vajrayana traditions will teach you some form of yantra yoga, others might not.

I'm not sure if more vigorous forms of exercise would be done at all, might interfere with prana maybe? I'm not sure, would be interesting to see what qualified teachers say.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Prostrations are good practice and good exercise!
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Recently in Portland, OR, Dr. Nida said He thought that long prostrations were the absolute best form of yoga. Personally, I always include at least a half hour of prostrations every day when I am in retreat.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Can I ask prsnvc, is this a formal, led retreat? i.e. supervised by a teacher?
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Finding a way out of giving things importance is the best exercise.
Vajra fangs deliver vajra venom to your Mara body.
maybay

Post by maybay »

Sun salutations A and B, and Ashtanga primary series up to PARSVOTTANASANA for beginners. I do some other Tai Chi exercises that don't have a name. Circumambulate whatever building you're in while chanting mantra.
People will know nothing and everything
Remember nothing and everything
Think nothing and everything
Do nothing and everything
- Machig Labdron
prsvrnc

Post by prsvrnc »

Crazywisdom wrote:Finding a way out of giving things importance is the best exercise.
Hah, I like this. This was fitting because there was a sense of urgency/concern that inspired the post. (Me wishing I didn't need to think it was important, yet I struggle so much with sleep and I have this idea that exercise will help me sleep earlier rather than be wide awake.)

Also, yes!! Prostration recommendations -- this is very good. Should have been the first thing to come to mind. Thank you for this reminder. These absolutely work up a sweat which is what I'm looking for.

As for Simon E.'s question about my retreat, if you PM me i will tell you details.
prsvrnc

Post by prsvrnc »

Crazywisdom wrote:Finding a way out of giving things importance is the best exercise.
Hah, I like this. This was fitting because there was a sense of urgency/concern that inspired the post. (Me wishing I didn't need to think it was important, yet I struggle so much with sleep and I have this idea that exercise will help me sleep earlier rather than be wide awake.)

Also, yes!! Prostration recommendations -- this is very good. Should have been the first thing to come to mind. Thank you for this reminder. These absolutely work up a sweat which is what I'm looking for.

As for Simon E.'s question about my retreat, if you PM me i will tell you details.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I don't know if anybody recommends daily walks in nature or if anybody disagrees. I don't ask if it is okay or not, because my legs, knees and my mind need a daily walk. While doing it I try to meditate as good as possible.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”