High blood pressure

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

High blood pressure

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hello,

I am quite sure that I have high blood pressure (tomorrow I will make an appointment with my doctor) so I would like to ask you on some alternative ways how to keep the blood pressure in norm. Would doing 8 movements and tsigjong help? What kind of diet is recommended? Can having too much sex or ejaculations be one of the causes? In tibetan point of view what element or humor is disbalanced when high blood pressure manifests?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Virgo

Re: High blood pressure

Post by Virgo »

Salt can be a large contributing factor.

Usually this is involved with pitta, too much intensity, and so on. Intense situations, relationships, stress, and so on can contribute, In general a more healthy lifestyle is recommended.

Kevin
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Miroku wrote:Hello,

I am quite sure that I have high blood pressure (tomorrow I will make an appointment with my doctor) so I would like to ask you on some alternative ways how to keep the blood pressure in norm. Would doing 8 movements and tsigjong help? What kind of diet is recommended? Can having too much sex or ejaculations be one of the causes? In tibetan point of view what element or humor is disbalanced when high blood pressure manifests?

Tashi delek M,

Yes to visit a doctor can be ok.
But to be informed before, can be very helpful.

High blood pressure can have many causes.
Mostly it is related to the food, behaviour and the affected arteries .

But also a diet is here welcome, in case of hypertension.
Alcohol and sodium can cause a high blood pressure.
According TCM salt is the food for the kidneys, but it can also affect the kidneys in a negative sense. Persons with weak kidneys have a preference for salt.

Hypertension can also affect the kidneys.

Renal hypertension is caused by a narrowing in the arteries that deliver blood to the kidney.

One can cause also with too much sex, that the kidneys can become weak.
Lower back pain is here mostly the case.

Over time, other health complications can develop as a result of decreased kidney function, including high blood pressure, anemia (decreased red blood cells), weak bones, poor nutritional health and nerve damage.

So imo a good diet and meditation will help as well a normal sexual conduct.
So the intake of food etc, as well a certain behaviour / mentality would cure Hypertension (HBP).

KY.
The best meditation is no meditation
philji

Post by philji »

Hereditary factors can play a part also.
http://www.cdc.gov/bloodpressure/family_history.htm
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Are you overweight at all?

https://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditio ... mePage.jsp

With metabolic syndrome, I believe there is a wide range of factors, genetics, activity level, etc. With me, even 15 extra pounds puts me in the danger zone, so I have to be much more more careful than some people. Generally, even in terms of allopathic and naturopathic advice I've gotten, it's pretty simple...maintain a normal weight range, eat little processed food, have a good diet, exercise regularly, etc.

Like Philji said, some people also (like me) have genetic predispositions towards hypertension, high cholesterol, and related issues..so it's worth asking around a little for your family history maybe.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I don't know what the doctors say, but in my own limited experience, long dry spells without sex have tended to raise my blood pressure. I wonder if there's any science on this.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Hi,

well it seems that my main problem is a lack of movement and weak muscles. I am not overweight but yet have a fat on my body and am kinda weak. Also my father and his parents all died due to heart attack or stroke soo I think there might be a patter :sage: .
Tomorrow I am starting qigong lessons so that could help me a bit.

Concerning the diet, well my diet is very poor. I am a student and pizza is the best thing ever, which doesn't help my situation. :D

Do you have some short workout routine one can do only with his body, or some tips concerning diet?
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Regular cardiac sports like swimming, walking, biking seems to be very helpful.

My neighbor swears, red beete juice helped him to decrease his blood pressure. :shrug: I don't know, if it is true.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Oh yeah...steel cut oats every day.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/benefit ... -2053.html
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”