Tobacco

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Tiago Simões

Tobacco

Post by Tiago Simões »

I know perfectly well the harm of tobacco, spiritually, health wise and socially. I know the advice of terma revealers, and other sages. But just like the man who went to the Buddha, because he found being generous very hard, I also ask for practices to help maintain non-smoking.

Beginning is easy, but over time the motivation disminices, and smoking a cig doesn't seem that bad, so I need a practice to maintain that state.
binocular

Re: Tobacco

Post by binocular »

E.g.: Spend time with people who don't smoke.
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

binocular wrote:E.g.: Spend time with people who don't smoke.
That is almost Impossible right now.
binocular

Post by binocular »

tiagolps wrote:That is almost Impossible right now.
Why? Is that you don't know any such people?
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

binocular wrote:
tiagolps wrote:That is almost Impossible right now.
Why? Is that you don't know any such people?
Because my gf and her family are all smokers, in my class there are smokers, my good friend neighbour is a smoker "also trying to stop, but failing". Running away from smokers is useless, I would rather an inner practice.
IVANANEBO

Post by IVANANEBO »

If you struggle, its not your time to quit.
When time comes, you Will not need cigs any more.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

AFAIK the best thing is to take a vow. But even then it is hard. Maybe have something to remind you of why you stopped smoking and that you have a vow. Try to turn your mind to dharma everytime you feel the need to smoke. Maybe .... not sure :smile: . But I wish you best of luck. If you fail don't beat yourself too much. Just take the vow again and purify the misdeed and strenghten your resolution not to smoke. Try to use advice that is given to alcoholics. Like take it day by day and rejoice for every day without a smoke. This helped me alot when I struggled with alcohol. :)
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
IVANANEBO

Post by IVANANEBO »

Dont torture yourself to become some better version of who you are. You are fine. When right circumstances Will come, smoking Will become so repulsive to you and you Will not need it. Just keep on practicionig what ever you can, all Will be fine.
IVANANEBO

Post by IVANANEBO »

One more thing. If you dont know what to do with your hands, take mala and put mind on mantra :smile:
justsit

Post by justsit »

Some people find it helpful to link the urge to smoke with something unpleasant.

Say you want a cigarette? Go lick an ashtray (used, not clean). That will usually kill the urge.

Remember the stinking hair and clothes? Take deep breaths, breathe in the stench. Recall how nasty it is.
Remember getting up in the morning and gagging? Coughing up pieces of lung? (yes, I did that before I quit).

Smoking is an addiction, just like heroin. Don't kid yourself that you can have one or two and not get hooked again. Quitting is hard, do you really want to have to go through that again? Just keep reminding yourself.

Make a mantra you can use -
Smoking will kill me, I vow to avoid it's clutches - or some such.

Good luck!
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

justsit wrote:Some people find it helpful to link the urge to smoke with something unpleasant.

Say you want a cigarette? Go lick an ashtray (used, not clean). That will usually kill the urge.

Remember the stinking hair and clothes? Take deep breaths, breathe in the stench. Recall how nasty it is.
Remember getting up in the morning and gagging? Coughing up pieces of lung? (yes, I did that before I quit).

Smoking is an addiction, just like heroin. Don't kid yourself that you can have one or two and not get hooked again. Quitting is hard, do you really want to have to go through that again? Just keep reminding yourself.

Make a mantra you can use -
Smoking will kill me, I vow to avoid it's clutches - or some such.

Good luck!
I think thats really good advice! :thanks:

And thanks to the other advices, but linking the urge to smoke with something unpleasant is the best idea for me.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

tiagolps wrote:

Try changing your routine so that it disrupts you from the times you normally smoke, that made a big difference for me when I quit. Don't stand around watching other people smoke and similar..it'll end badly.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
tiagolps wrote:

Try changing your routine so that it disrupts you from the times you normally smoke, that made a big difference for me when I quit. Don't stand around watching other people smoke and similar..it'll end badly.
That works in my freetime, the rest not so much :tongue: I'm going for cold water showering for a few weeks.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

tiagolps wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
tiagolps wrote: That is almost Impossible right now.

That works in my freetime, the rest not so much :tongue: I'm going for cold water showering for a few weeks.

Are you around smokers at work or something? If that's the issue, try to take breaks away from them and find random stuff to do on breaks. Different stuff..one day take a walk here, another day go to a new place, etc. The breaking of the routine is a big deal IME.

-Khunu Lama
Tiago Simões

Post by Tiago Simões »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Are you around smokers at work or something? If that's the issue, try to take breaks away from them and find random stuff to do on breaks. Different stuff..one day take a walk here, another day go to a new place, etc. The breaking of the routine is a big deal IME.
Not just at work/class,
tiagolps wrote:Because my gf and her family are all smokers, in my class there are smokers, my good friend neighbour is a smoker "also trying to stop, but failing". Running away from smokers is useless, I would rather an inner practice.
But I get what your saying with breaking routine.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

tiagolps wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Are you around smokers at work or something? If that's the issue, try to take breaks away from them and find random stuff to do on breaks. Different stuff..one day take a walk here, another day go to a new place, etc. The breaking of the routine is a big deal IME.
Not just at work/class,
tiagolps wrote:Because my gf and her family are all smokers, in my class there are smokers, my good friend neighbour is a smoker "also trying to stop, but failing". Running away from smokers is useless, I would rather an inner practice.
But I get what your saying with breaking routine.
Yeah...don't get caught in their smoking routines if you can avoid it. It isn't about running away from them, just not getting sucked up into their pattern of when to smoke etc. I was in a similar situation when I quit, it was before it became illegal to smoke at workplaces etc. here, and everyone around me was smoking, all the time...and even worse, were always willing to bum me one.

-Khunu Lama

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”