Hiatal hernia

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
DGA
Former staff member

Hiatal hernia

Post by DGA »

I have one of these now. Not a big one. I'd like to prevent it from growing.

I don't have any reflux issues, thankfully, and that's a problem I'd like to prevent.

I know I need to lose about 15lbs (7 kilos).

Any other general suggestions?
Seishin
Former staff member

Re: Hiatal hernia

Post by Seishin »

Diet and lifestyle can have a massive impact.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Seishin wrote:Diet and lifestyle can have a massive impact.
I admit my life is much more sedentary of late than I would like it to be. I have a long commute and a desk job. This means most of my time is spent seated. With an infant in the house, it hasn't been easy to find time for exercise and sleep. Hence the weight gain. Now that the little one is almost a year old, I hope that will change.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

DGA wrote: I admit my life is much more sedentary of late than I would like it to be. I have a long commute and a desk job. This means most of my time is spent seated. With an infant in the house, it hasn't been easy to find time for exercise and sleep. Hence the weight gain. Now that the little one is almost a year old, I hope that will change.
Bless you my friend, I know how you feel. During those early years I relied heavily on caffeine to get through the day. It is difficult and I know its a cliché, but it does get easier... although expect the odd curve ball here and there :tongue:

Have you had an allergy test? I know it may sound strange, but it can also be a causal factor or can aggravate it.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Seishin wrote:
DGA wrote: I admit my life is much more sedentary of late than I would like it to be. I have a long commute and a desk job. This means most of my time is spent seated. With an infant in the house, it hasn't been easy to find time for exercise and sleep. Hence the weight gain. Now that the little one is almost a year old, I hope that will change.
Bless you my friend, I know how you feel. During those early years I relied heavily on caffeine to get through the day. It is difficult and I know its a cliché, but it does get easier... although expect the odd curve ball here and there :tongue:

Have you had an allergy test? I know it may sound strange, but it can also be a causal factor or can aggravate it.
Yes, I was tested for all kinds of food allergies, and luckily I'm not allergic to any foods (pollen and mold, however...). I'm waiting for the results of some other tests, one of them to find out if I have celiac disease, which I strongly doubt.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Don't strain on the pot. It increases intra-abdominal pressure which is exactly what you don't want more of. And be quick about your business.

:toilet:

All I've got off the top of my head. I wish you luck managing it.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Berry

Post by Berry »

Avoiding very spicy foods and animal fats in one's diet (as well as not getting overweight) can be helpful.
Leave the polluted water of conceptual thoughts in its natural clarity. Without affirming or denying appearances, leave them as they are. When there is neither acceptance nor rejection, mind is liberated into mahāmudra.

~ Tilopa
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

DGA wrote: I know I need to lose about 15lbs (7 kilos).

Any other general suggestions?
Losing weight is a difficult balance and depends on your body's genes. There is enough recent research that suggests that dieting does not help much, as many bodies will just downregulate energy expenditure accordingly. There is also enough research that shows that diets change the gut microbiome, and the personal setpoint for weight is as much influenced by that. There is also research that shows that depleting some flavonoids by diet (or other conditions) lowers activation of brown fat and energy expenditure. Furthermore research shows, that readily available sugars overdrive your insuline and leptin regulation into oscillation and make you fat.

Thus, to lose those kilos:
Eating moderately may be a trick, but only if you go below what your body really needs (starve) or maintain a moderate diet and greatly increase your energy expenditure (sports). If you do sports, you will be more hungry. Therefore, sports only work when at the same time you fix your diet to a certain amount of calories. That would be the scientific way. Upping apigenin and naringenin, e.g. by one grapefruit a day, may help. Taking probiotics and including yogurth and quark in your diet may help too.

Most diets need to lower sugars. That will also help the reflux once it should start. Once you've eliminated the simple sugars, you will find that there are only two ways to decrease the carbohydrate content in your diet: increase the proteins, or increase the fats. That may sound couterintuitive, but who cares about intuition. Proteins and fats generate satiety, carbs don't, so you may get a second benefit. Eating proteins in the morning will offset cravings during the day, i.e. starting on eggs or quark is a good start into the day.

Then there's the vegan alternative: Keep fruits to a minimum and only eat plants. You will find that you really have to eat a whole lot to get your daily calories together, and most days you will still be below your balance. Unless, of course, you start to include nuts into your diet. Tree nuts have shown to be beneficial for the gut and contain good amounts of omega3. Peanuts blatantly failed.

So a diet could look like this:

Eat Quark (500g low-fat) with some flaxseeds, chia seeds, pine seeds, walnuts or almonds in the morning (not too many nuts). Maybe add that grapefruit, cut to moderate pieces, makes the quark a bit less ... well, you'll see :)

Eat from the salad buffet for lunch, tons of greens, all colors, maybe some cooked vegetables on the side. No sauce, no carbs, no grains, nada. Some yogurth as a dressing (you may just pour some of that Ayran over the salad). Tastes good enough.

Eat a full-fat Yogurth with an equal assortment of nuts and seeds in the evening.

That should give you satiety, lead to a healthy balance of nutritients, give you enough calcium and B12, de-sensitize you from sugars and doesn't kill any animals either. If that is not your concern, some tuna or salmon added to your salad at lunch may be an option. It's about the base of my own diet.

Best
Kc
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

....Taking probiotics and including yogurth and quark in your diet may help too....
Quark = curd.

Thank you, Kaccāni, this was a very interesting lecture.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

Thank you.
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”