Diets are dumb

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Dharma Flower

Re: Diets are dumb

Post by Dharma Flower »

Why would a Buddhist, who believes in endless rebirth, care about health and longevity? Because in my next life, I’m not going to remember this one.
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

If a food is going to make your heart attack you, and kill you 30 years early, I'm going with "it's not so good"!
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
Punya

Post by Punya »

Perhaps what you mean DGA is that diet fads are dumb.

Diets are not only about weight loss but can be about restoring health. What about those with celiac disease or diabetes? I have had two separate experiences of very unpleasant symptoms, which completely disappeared through restricting certain foods for a time.

But maybe this is not meant to a serious conversation. If so.... :focus:
We abide nowhere. We possess nothing.
~Chatral Rinpoche
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Punya wrote:Perhaps what you mean DGA is that diet fads are dumb.
Yes, as I said above, that's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Or one among several.

I'm being a bit puckish about it in order to provoke a discussion that hopefully won't fall into the same boring ruts.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Dharma Flower wrote:Why would a Buddhist, who believes in endless rebirth, care about health and longevity? Because in my next life, I’m not going to remember this one.
Why? Endless rebirth means endless suffering. This lifetime is precious because it's a golden opportunity to practice Dharma now. In this lifetime, you have met the teachings! Good for you! That's an extraordinarily unlikely bit of great good fortune, and you'd be a fool not to make the most of it. You never know what your next lifetime will bring you unless you apply the teachings now.

None of this is in contradiction to the injunction to live well and not be a food fascist.
emaho

Post by emaho »

DGA wrote:...food is good, even German food sometimes...
Careful what you say, dude!

"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Cianan

Post by Cianan »

DGA wrote:
Yes, as I said above, that's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Or one among several.

I'm being a bit puckish about it in order to provoke a discussion that hopefully won't fall into the same boring ruts.
I see what you mean. I can't speak for everyone who watches their diet, but deliberate eating doesn't have to be the mania that gets in the way of enjoyment and moderation, even for many of these so-called fad diets. We're use the pejorative "fad," but let's be honest, a lot of these diets are viable alternatives that bring better health. It shouldn't be any surprise that some want to scrutinize our notion of a "normal" diet because it's normal to eat a lot of crap. People honestly want to be happy and, hopefully, healthy.

As for me, it was as simple as reading studies and anecdotes, and based on broad daily macronutritional goals and a few general guidelines, I just eat foods that taste nice and then I feel good. :shrug: I absolved my poor body of obesity and an assortment of health problems by eating fat for fuel. Attachment can go both ways, though, I suppose.

On the other hand, I guess there are some people who just eat fruit skins to lose weight...
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

DGA wrote:
Dharma Flower wrote:Why would a Buddhist, who believes in endless rebirth, care about health and longevity? Because in my next life, I’m not going to remember this one.
Why? Endless rebirth means endless suffering.
Yes, the Buddha taught that samsara is beginningless and endless, and that samsara is suffering. As to whether or not I will attain Nirvana in this lifetime to break the cycle of samsara is a matter of debate.

I know for certain that, based on what the Buddha taught, especially in the Mahayana scriptures, I will have a more positive rebirth in the next life by refraining from the negative karma of eating meat today.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

DGA wrote: Eat, drink, be merry
The private health insurance industry's profit model is based on patients getting sick as least often as possible, so that the insurer can avoid having to make payouts. What form of diet does Kaiser Permanente, America's largest health insurer, recommend for long-term health?
Kaiser Permanente encourages a plant-based diet, especially for those with high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease or obesity. It’s estimated that eating less meat and adding whole foods could reduce health care costs associated with the treatment of chronic disease.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 100031230/
THE PLANT-BASED DIET:
a healthier way to eat
Presented by Kaiser Permanente
https://share.kaiserpermanente.org/wp-c ... ooklet.pdf
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

I need to not tie my self-esteem to short-term weight loss. I am changing my diet for long-term health.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

It's interesting that, other than fish, all the foods on this list are vegetarian:

11 Foods To Eat If You're Constantly Hungry That Are Healthy & Filling
https://www.bustle.com/articles/171601- ... hy-filling

I used to think that diets were dumb, until I learned that healthy foods are often the most satisfying.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

DGA wrote:
Yes, as I said above, that's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Or one among several. ...
On that point, here are some cautionary tales:
The Psychology of Idealistic Diets
http://beyondveg.com/cat/psych/index.shtml
especially
Health Food Junkie. Obsession with dietary perfection can sometimes do more harm than good, says a physician in alternative medicine (and one who has been there). Originally published in the October 1997 issue of Yoga Journal, and reprinted here by permission of the author, this piece coins the term "orthorexia nervosa" in describing a novel eating disorder of recent years: extreme fixation on eating proper food that becomes pathological.

:namaste:
Kim

oh, and this ...
http://beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/simple ... y-1a.shtml
Simplicity vs. Complexity in Diet:
Where Do We Find Truth?

by Ward Nicholson
Copyright © 2000 by Ward Nicholson. All rights reserved.
Contact author for permission to republish.
"It will surprise you when shown the truth thru a simple, natural enlightenment, and you must admit at once that it is THE TRUTH. Always remember this fact: 'Whatever cannot be seen, conceived at once, thru simple reasoning is humbug, and not science!' "
--Arnold Ehret, popular raw-food proponent of the early 1900s...

...who among other things maintained that the lungs were
the organs responsible for pumping blood--powered by outside
atmospheric air pressure--and the heart only a valve.
Quote from Arnold Ehret's Mucusless Diet Healing System,
first published 1922, 16th Ed. (Feb. 1972), p. 54.

"...there is always an easy solution to every human
problem--neat, plausible, and wrong."
--Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)
- I'm still exploring the site.

:namaste:
Kim
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

DGA wrote:Food is good

Eat, drink, be merry

Discuss
Getting laid is also good. Abs help.
veggiepeace

Post by veggiepeace »

Since the time I have been dieting I managed to put
on additional 10 kilos. Not sure if it's directly related to
the diet (less carbohydrates), but it does not work.

For me diet did not work... :popcorn:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering :thinking:
account expired - wrong address - void space - user cancelled - posted on wrong platform - posted by mistake - farewell
veggiepeace

Post by veggiepeace »

.... maybe I should add that I feel quite healthy despite of the weight gain.

But of cause in the long run I want to stay healthy and I really think that there is food
which sustains a healthy and functioning brain, body and nervous system.

Amongst others some sorts of vegetables, fruits, herbs, as some have already
mentioned above. Also minerals like magnesium etc.

My problem seems to be rather psychological or mental... but I'm working on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering :yinyang:
account expired - wrong address - void space - user cancelled - posted on wrong platform - posted by mistake - farewell
Invokingvajras

Post by Invokingvajras »

Taking on eight Poṣadha precepts has honestly been one of the best decisions in this life. Over time I've found that it's helped me develop a better sense of living in moderation, even when I'm not fasting. Generally, all you really need is a good source of protein, carbohydrate, and vitamins (plenty of veggies) and you're good to go.
Spiraling Down the Middle Path

♒⚡~若悩乱者頭破七分~⚡♑
veggiepeace

Post by veggiepeace »

Invokingvajras wrote:Taking on eight Poṣadha precepts has honestly been one of the best decisions in this life. Over time I've found that it's helped me develop a better sense of living in moderation, even when I'm not fasting. Generally, all you really need is a good source of protein, carbohydrate, and vitamins (plenty of veggies) and you're good to go.
Are these the eight Poṣadha precepts that you refer to ? :

"The eight precepts
1st precept
«pānātipātā veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.» «I will abstain from being harmful to living beings.»
That is to say: I will not kill, I will not cause injuries to other beings, whatever and whoever they are. Not even to the mosquitoes that bite me.

2nd precept
«adinnādānā veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.» «I will abstain from stealing.»
That is to say: I will not appropriate others' property, I will not take possession of that which has not been given to me. I will not even take the metro, even for a station distance, without paying.

3rd precept
«abrahmacariyā veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.» «I will abstain from all sexual practices.»
That is to say: No copulation, no masturbation. I will even avoid to indulge in petting.
Beware: When we only deal with the five precepts, the 3rd thus becomes:
«kamesu miccacara veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.» «I will abstain from all inconvenient sexual practices.»
That is to say: I will not commit adultery, I will not indulge into any illegal sexual relationship, neither through prostitution, etc.

4th precept
«musāvādā veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.» «I will abstain from uttering lies.»
That is to say: I will not lie, I will be honest while facing all situations. Whatever one might think and whatever the intention underlying it might be, a lie will always bear a negative result. I will even avoid to speak ill of anyone, swear and indulge in vain talks. (this precept is perhaps the most difficult to observe).

5th precept
«surāmeraya majjapamādaṭṭhānā veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.» «I will refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness.»
That is to say: I will not consume any substance likely to intoxicate my body or my mind, such as alcohol, drugs, tobacco, etc. I will even avoid to drink too much coffee. Due to health reasons, the medicines are authorised.

6th precept
«vikālabhojanā veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.» «I will abstain from eating after noon time.»
That is to say: I will never consume any solid foods after the solar noon (which, in Paris, befalls around 1:30 P.M. during the summer time, and around 12:30 A.M. during the winter time) and this, until the following dawn. During this period, I will no even drink milk, which is considered as a solid food, as it is very nourishing. In case of severe hunger or a great lack of energy, honey, molasses, liquid sugars, oil and butter are also authorised.

7th precept
«nacca gīta vādita visukadassanā mālā gandha vilepana dhārana mandana vibhūsanaṭṭhānā veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.» «I will abstain from listening or playing music, songs, wearing flowers, jewellery and other ornaments.»
That is to say: I will not listen to some music, I will not watch any show whatsoever, I will not watch films, neither go for entertainment, nor read any fashion magazines, play games, etc.
I will not wear perfumes, I will not arrange my body for an aesthetic purpose (make up, fashion clothes, sophisticated hair dressing, jewellery, etc.) I will even avoid dressing myself in an attractive way. For health reasons, skin care products are authorised.

8th precept
«uccāsayana mahāsayana veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.» «I will refrain from lining or seating on high and luxurious places.»
That is to say: I will not sit or lie down on places located higher than those of the noble ones (bhikkhu, bhikkhunī or sāmaṇera, kings, etc.) or in places reserved for these beings. "
from:http://en.dhammadana.org/dhamma/practice/8_precepts.htm

----------------------------------------------------------
I find most of them helpful, but I would have problems with no 3, 6, and 7...

But still five rules that I can obey to - or already do :thanks:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering :anjali:
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

veggiepeace wrote:I find most of them helpful, but I would have problems with no 3, 6, and 7...
These vows are normally only taken for 24 hours, so it means you can practice the dharma easier.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
veggiepeace

Post by veggiepeace »

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
veggiepeace wrote:I find most of them helpful, but I would have problems with no 3, 6, and 7...
These vows are normally only taken for 24 hours, so it means you can practice the dharma easier.
Thank you very much, Lobsang Chojor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- :anjali:
May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Nemo wrote:
DGA wrote:Food is good

Eat, drink, be merry

Discuss
Getting laid is also good. Abs help.
Yes, that's a true story. And if your abs are soft, it doesn't hurt to have a decent singing voice and the cojones to use it

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”