Diets are dumb

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
DGA
Former staff member

Diets are dumb

Post by DGA »

Food is good

Eat, drink, be merry

Discuss
justsit

Re: Diets are dumb

Post by justsit »

phpBB [video]
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

DGA wrote:Food is good

Eat, drink, be merry

Discuss
We are all different and no one diet is the right one.A great addition to my diet is kefir,chaga,maca ,reishi ,pau d arco,amalaki,krill and beer.
emaho

Post by emaho »

Well, yeah, "diet" in the sense of short term reduction of calories in order to loose weight, diets are pretty dumb. Every child knows that in most cases that leads to yoyo-effect. But in the sense of long term watching out, what you eat and see that it's not too much crap I think it makes very much sense. :smile:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

emaho wrote:Well, yeah, "diet" in the sense of short term reduction of calories in order to loose weight, diets are pretty dumb. Every child knows that in most cases that leads to yoyo-effect. But in the sense of long term watching out, what you eat and see that it's not too much crap I think it makes very much sense. :smile:
Totally agreed. In my experience, diet has quite a direct impact on quality of life and mental clarity.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Diet is a fad of the modern. The "personal trainers" make good money out of something so basic for the humans. Just eat normally, I say.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

tomamundsen wrote:
emaho wrote:Well, yeah, "diet" in the sense of short term reduction of calories in order to loose weight, diets are pretty dumb. Every child knows that in most cases that leads to yoyo-effect. But in the sense of long term watching out, what you eat and see that it's not too much crap I think it makes very much sense. :smile:
Totally agreed. In my experience, diet has quite a direct impact on quality of life and mental clarity.
+ 1

:namaste:
Kim
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

Eat, drink, be merry

Discuss
agree!
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

odysseus wrote:Diet is a fad of the modern.
Absolutely. Before modern times, even westerners ate everything they could find and still went hungry a lot of the time.

:thinking:
Kim
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Eat, drink, be merry

Discuss
That's really bad advice. If someone has a health problem like heart disease or diabetes, they need a specific diet for the sake of their personal health.
Strive

Post by Strive »

fasting is a good way to lose weight and has many benifits

but it requires lots of discipline

check out the book eat stop eat by brad pilon
ratna

Post by ratna »

Here's what the Buddha taught on dieting. When seeing the fat king Prasenajit overeating, he did recommend him a kind of diet, "mindfulness of the proper amount of food", so to speak.

His verse reminds me of modern scientific results on the effects of caloric restriction on longevity.

R
monktastic

Post by monktastic »

I almost never allow myself to experience genuine hunger. At the first hint of it, I quickly find food and then generally eat well past the point of satiation. I've recently tried turning this around: allow myself to become uncomfortably hungry, and then only eat till satiation (resulting in "calorie restriction"). Occasionally let my body deal with that hunger for a good 24 hours ("intermittent fasting").

From a modern perspective, that would be considered a diet. I'd like to think of it as "eating normally" (as our ancestors did). Turns out a little discomfort won't kill me. Comes with a huge slew of health benefits, too (at least for some people).
This undistracted state of ordinary mind
Is the meditation.
One will understand it in due course.

--Gampopa
Cianan

Post by Cianan »

Shakyamuni and Padmasambhava both thought it worth reminding people the importance of their diet, and I absolutely think there's something to it. What an impact it has on the mind. I have seen that your diet significantly affects everything from mood to sociability to the ability to focus while practicing. Fasting is invaluable to wellness as well, in my experience.

Prevention is the best medicine. Treat your body well and you may be able to practice dharma for longer in this life.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

I've lost seven pounds in the last week on a plant-based diet. And unlike on the keto or paleo diets, I am not clogging my arteries in the process. I am not starving myself. If anything, I am eating more often than I did before, but healthy foods like whole wheat pasta and tortillas, potatoes, romaine lettuce, etc. This is not for short-term weight loss, but instead for my long-term health.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Sure, watch what you eat in order to be healthy and happy and live well.

Getting hung up on a diet as one's identity is dumb, dumb, dumb.

Also, food is delicious and good. Sex is good too. Booze? Also good. If you have a serious problem with these, avoid them. Otherwise, enjoy, because who wants to be a humorless fool living a colorless life?

Enjoy the party, kids.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

Yeah it's best to eat a little of everything, and not obsess.

There are some useful guidelines though:

Eat 100% organic if possible.

Too much dairy is bad, especially if it's not grassfed & unpasteurized.

The body does not process gluten and unsprouted grains very well, contributing to inflammation.

Eat vegetables and especially fruits.

It's good to eat a lot of good fats: unprocessed olive oil, avocados, ghee, grass fed butter, unprocessed coconut oil etc.

Processed/white salt, processed/white sugar, processed/white flour is bad for you etc.
odysseus

Post by odysseus »

Sādhaka wrote:Yeah it's best to eat a little of everything, and not obsess.

There are some useful guidelines though:

Eat 100% organic if possible.

Too much dairy is bad, especially if it's not grassfed & unpasteurized.

The body does not process gluten and unsprouted grains very well, contributing to inflammation.

Eat vegetables and especially fruits.

It's good to eat a lot of good fats: unprocessed olive oil, avocados, ghee, grass fed butter, unprocessed coconut oil etc.

Processed/white salt, processed/white sugar, processed/white flour is bad for you etc.
Sounds like a diet to me. No offense. :smile:
justsit

Post by justsit »

odysseus wrote:
Sādhaka wrote:....
Sounds like a diet to me. No offense. :smile:
Of course it's a diet - everything you eat is "a diet." :

What Sadhaka describes is a basic diet for anyone who wants to eat in a healthy way, as opposed to some fad, like Atkins, Paleo, South Beach, Zone, etc. No special title, just real food.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

justsit wrote: some fad, like Atkins, Paleo, South Beach, Zone, etc. No special title, just real food.
These sorts of things are what I'm referring to as a "diet" per se.

Or the "I don't have celiac disease or a wheat allergy, but I avoid gluten because I read on Pinterest I should" diet.

Or the "I'm living on bone broth and butter only because I read on Facebook I should" diet.

Or the vegan trip.

Or whatever.

Like I said, food is good, even German food sometimes, so enjoy it while you can as best you can.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”