Great Vegan Debate

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
DharmaN00b

Re: Veganism is an Eating Disorder

Post by DharmaN00b » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:45 am

Currenntly reading "Gun spot Gun". This might not work out altogether but spot will be fine. :twothumbsup:

everyone's not ok.
If you are drunk here is the submit post button. Submit post

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:06 am

Dharma Flower wrote: Our ancestors, however, got B12 from the algae in drinking from fresh water sources.
And blue-green algae poisoning plus other nastiness...
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:56 pm

DGA wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:04 am
Or veganism coincides with eating disorders

Or veganism converges with eating disorders

Or veganism opens onto eating disorders, like a gateway drug

The point is that the two are very difficult to tease apart, and in a practical sense, are difficult to distinguish from each other. It's possible to have an eating disorder such as anorexia without being a vegan, but is it possible to be a vegan without having an eating disorder?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3402905/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/when-vegan ... g-disorder

Thoughts?
Probably yes.

https://www.sott.net/article/401555-A-c ... -your-body
https://www.sott.net/article/403481-Aus ... vegan-diet
https://www.sott.net/article/402906-Veg ... -countries

KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:11 pm

tatpurusa wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:56 pm
is it possible to be a vegan without having an eating disorder?
Yes.

Unless you define it that way, like the thread title does. In which case discussion is meaningless, all 9 pages of it.

Om mani padme hum
Kathy

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Ketone Diets are Eating Disorders

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."

tatpurusa

Post by tatpurusa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm

Grigoris wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 pm
Ketone Diets are Eating Disorders
They might be too.
It depends on the person's attitude.

Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:28 pm

tatpurusa wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm
They might be too.
It depends on the person's attitude.
The same logic applies to veganism.

Mantrik
Former staff member

Post by Mantrik » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:01 pm

An eating dis-order, like insanity, seems often to be based around cultural norms.
Is obesity the consequence of a dis-order (or a dis-ease) now it is becoming the norm?

I would rather define an eating disorder by the desire for certain rewards involving behaviour harmful to person, rather than by the diet used as the means to satiate that desire.
http://www.khyung.com

Om Thathpurushaya Vidhmahe
Suvarna Pakshaya Dheemahe
Thanno Garuda Prachodayath

Micchāmi Dukkaḍaṃ (मिच्छामि दुक्कडम्)

hermitseb

Post by hermitseb » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:28 am

I am a vegetarian cook by profession, often preparing fully vegan meals, and some for some people, this is a necessity, whereas for others, it is a choice. Who am I to make judgement upon others in this way? Do we have a disorder because we prefer brown rice to white rice? Soya sauce as opposed to ketchup?

The Buddha, when meat was placed in his food alms bowl, would eat said meat. Therefore one can know that making any judgement upon the food can thus be considered a disorder, from a Buddhist perspective, unless there are some significant health concerns, right?

:rolling:

emaho

Post by emaho » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:16 pm

I just came across this on youtube

looks freakin amazing, I'm only too lazy to make it. I wish I had a vegan boyfriend who made this for me :mrgreen:
"I struggled with some demons, They were middle class and tame..." L. Cohen

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:43 pm

^^
I've made those 'things' three times. The date caramel needs to have less almond milk in IMO because it ended up too messy.

The choc requires an obscene amount of coconut oil in or it goes hard real quick and doesn't cover the bars, and the main reason I said that is because this sub form is Wellness, Diet and Fitness.

Of course everything in moderation and they did turn out tasty, but I don't feel they're "prize worthy." :quoteunquote:

emaho

Post by emaho » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 pm

Dang, that sounds disappointing.... good thing I don't have a vegan boyfriend then :shrug:

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:40 pm

emaho wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:23 pm
Dang, that sounds disappointing.... good thing I don't have a vegan boyfriend then :shrug:
I cook for people and make nice foods for them no matter what my relationship to them. I would love to have a neighbour who appreciates vegan food. :heart:

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 am

DharmaN00b wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:40 pm
emaho wrote:
I cook for people and make nice foods for them no matter what my relationship to them. I would love to have a neighbour who appreciates vegan food. :heart:
Vodka and cookies?
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:09 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 am
DharmaN00b wrote:
emaho wrote:
Vodka and cookies?
My guilty pleasure :broke: :bow:

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 am

Question for the vegans in the crowd, would a vegan refuse to eat insect-derived protein on the grounds of vegan principles? Would a vegan consider an insect to be an animal?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:37 am

catmoon wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 am
Question for the vegans in the crowd, would a vegan refuse to eat insect-derived protein on the grounds of vegan principles? Would a vegan consider an insect to be an animal?

I’ve met vegans who say that bees put in the work to make honey, so who are we to take it from them.

But plants seem to try to avoid harm too, just as any other sentient being does.

(One time I even overheard an obvious vegan yell at the top of his lungs: “That’s not from a plant! You’re not f**kin’ vegan! Don’t put that on your f**kin’ Tinder profile!” Lol)

Anyway, if you can spend the rest of your life more or less in solitary retreat, and start eating fruitarian as to eventully graduate to living on breath & sunshine; then by all means do it. I doubt that this is impossible.

Until then, dudes (and dudettes) is doing intermittent fasting for 16-20 hours a day: Fast from say 9:00 pm to 3:00 pm everyday; then between 3:00 pm and 9:00 pm eat more or less whatever you want (a six-hour eating window). The science regarding this, is said to increase human growth hormone & fat burning in the range of 500% or more. It is said for optimum benefit, to eat mostly organic raw eggs, raw milk (these two mixed together smoothens the taste-texture of the raw egg), grass fed butter, and raw grass fed meat (eat raw liver at least a couple times a week as well for Vitamin A). You can also add avocado and olive oil; and some carbs too, but not very much on the carbs.

This goes against everything taught to us by the so-called mainstream; but if the ‘mainstream’ knew what was best for us, then there would be more happy people than unhappy people, which is obviously not the case.

Moreover, it is possible during the process of eating them, to help already-physically-dead organisms to have a Dharmic connection in their future lifetime (there are plenty of posts on this in other threads here).

People all around the world have been eating raw animal products since who knows when, up until modern times with minimal chance of food poisoning. If you are susceptible to the fear-mongering of food poisoning, then by all means don’t risk eating raw animal products. Partially cooked meat is more likely to cause food poisoning than fully cooked or fully raw meat.

This^ is not meant to be professional advice. All rights reserved. And all that. Also, if you have confidence in your Lama who instructs you to be be vegan or vegetarian, then keep that confidence, if it is working for you.

If you could spend your whole life and most of your earnings on being an nutrition mad-scientist on how to live healthy as an vegan, then maybe veganism could work. But if you’re going to do that, then you might as well be a fulltime Yogi working on living on breath & sunshine (the latter of which I sincerely wish everyone could do).

To curb hunger during intermittent-fasting, you can add zero-calorie liquids without breaking the fast; such as:

Apple cider vinegar (check the label to make sure that it is zero calorie).

Teas: Plain white, green, oolong, black, and/or yerba maté or guayusa are zero-calorie. Just don’t add creamer or sweeteners during the fast because they have calories, which would break the fast.

Sparkling water (make sure that it is sweetener-free and zero-calories).

When you do break-fast, add all the honey and cream you want during your three to six hour eating-window.
“...we should try to acquire clairvoyance. Without it, we are like a baby bird whose wings are undeveloped and has not yet grown feathers and remains stuck in its nest, unable to fly. Without clairvoyance, we cannot work for other sentient beings.” — Khunu Lama
“Just as a bird can not fly without both wings,
The welfare of others cannot be accomplished without the higher faculties of perception,
So diligently strive for your own wellbeing, whilst mentally considering the welfare of others.” — Longchenpa

Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 am

And, replenish first your stomach flora with the superprobiotic known as gcmaf.

It has 40 to 44 probiotic strains derived from yogurt mixed with bovine colostrum.

Store-bought yogurts have no more than 8 strains; and would cost about the same if eaten everyday (do the math).

Check Marsvenus.com.

This should help to replenish some of our lost ‘prenatal jing’, and make up for the ‘swallowing the mud pill’ that most of us have lost due to our parents and ourselves having had contemporary crappy diets & pharmaceuticals/antibiotics.
“...we should try to acquire clairvoyance. Without it, we are like a baby bird whose wings are undeveloped and has not yet grown feathers and remains stuck in its nest, unable to fly. Without clairvoyance, we cannot work for other sentient beings.” — Khunu Lama
“Just as a bird can not fly without both wings,
The welfare of others cannot be accomplished without the higher faculties of perception,
So diligently strive for your own wellbeing, whilst mentally considering the welfare of others.” — Longchenpa

emaho

Post by emaho » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:35 pm

DharmaN00b wrote:
Too bad you're not my neighbour :heart:

PS: Truth be told I'm not even vegetarian, but I try to reduce my consumption of meat and animal products and I sure like to eat vegetarian and vegan meals, I definitely wouldn't say no to your invitation :smile: But I doubt we even live on the same continent...
Last edited by emaho on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emaho

Post by emaho » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:47 pm

Sādhaka wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:37 am
Anyway, if you can spend the rest of your life more or less in solitary retreat, and start eating fruitarian as to eventully graduate to living on breath & sunshine; then by all means do it. I doubt that this is impossible.
Please don't spread this living on light theory. People have already died trying to do this. It recently made the news that a young man has died in 2017 trying to live on light alone. His name was Finn Bogumil. I also know of a Buddhist who apparently was under the same delusion. She almost died when she was in India trying to do a three year retreat without a teacher. Luckily for her she got admitted to psychiatric care in the last minute. She was already half dead and had to spend some weeks in intensive care before she could be transferred to a hospital in Germany.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”