Great Vegan Debate

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
tobes

Re: Great Vegan Debate

Post by tobes » Mon May 27, 2019 7:22 am

One of the things I want to throw into the mix is to distinguish between the moral roots of veganism in recent western moral thinking - namely, Peter Singer and Tom Regan; their utilitarian reasoning - and Buddhistic motivations. They are very different.

The barometer for the latter is impartial compassion to all beings. Including animals. But also, cattle farmers, hamburger eaters et al.

Where this is present, I can only pay homage. :bow:

But to be frank, I don't think it is often present.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon May 27, 2019 6:07 pm

tobes wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:22 am
One of the things I want to throw into the mix is to distinguish between the moral roots of veganism in recent western moral thinking - namely, Peter Singer and Tom Regan; their utilitarian reasoning - and Buddhistic motivations. They are very different.

The barometer for the latter is impartial compassion to all beings. Including animals. But also, cattle farmers, hamburger eaters et al.

Where this is present, I can only pay homage. :bow:

But to be frank, I don't think it is often present.
Nice, concise way of putting it. This accurately describes my feelings as well.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 pm

He's equanimous, but no slouch when it comes to picking sides :twothumbsup:

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Mon May 27, 2019 10:01 pm

DharmaN00b wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 pm
He's equanimous, but no slouch when it comes to picking sides :twothumbsup:

Or he can just see that sometimes we can get involved in a kind of creeping self-righteousness disguised as ahmisa.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue May 28, 2019 5:14 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:01 pm

Or he can just see that sometimes we can get involved in a kind of creeping self-righteousness disguised as ahmisa.
Oh, good point. Yes.

I was also wondering whether impartiality might lead to decision paralysis if that makes any sense. :shrug:

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 am

DharmaN00b wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:14 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Oh, good point. Yes.

I was also wondering whether impartiality might lead to decision paralysis if that makes any sense. :shrug:
Well, maybe. In my experience other lifestyle elements (such as do you have kids, do you have a full time job etc.) are equally or more important to how people make dietary decisions than moral or spiritual ones.

-James Low

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Tue May 28, 2019 10:05 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:58 am
DharmaN00b wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

Oh, good point. Yes.

Well, maybe. In my experience other lifestyle elements (such as do you have kids, do you have a full time job etc.) are equally or more important to how people make dietary decisions than moral or spiritual ones.
So those are examples of skill in means or expediency! ?

I imagine as a Moderator you have lots of experience being impartial and making judgements too, which makes you a good person to ask.

muni

Post by muni » Tue May 28, 2019 10:31 am

The ideas behind vegetarian and so veganism can be of nonviolence. And this meaning of nonviolence is of course to appreciate. However on a retreat people prepared dishes for us based on soy only. I could not participate, I get health problems by eating any food with even some rests of soy in them.

Also for soya fields, forests and homes of many beings can be destroyed and so their lives finally as well if this continues. There will even come no egg anymore. We cannot decide any life style is not harming by looking from one side. therefore I do not say soy should be stopped either.
Palm oil and soy oil for biofuels linked to high rates of deforestation - new study. A significant share of palm oil and soybean expansion happens on rainforests, forests, peatland and savannahs (land with high carbon stocks), according to a new study reviewing the latest scientific evidence on deforestation.
https://www.transportenvironment.org/pr ... -new-study
Phenomena adorn emptiness, but never corrupt it.

Only if you have developed the love and compassion of relative bodhichitta can absolute bodhichitta – the very essence of the Great Perfection and the Great Seal – ever take birth in your being. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 pm

DharmaN00b wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 10:05 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
DharmaN00b wrote:

Oh, good point. Yes.

I imagine as a Moderator you have lots of experience being impartial and making judgements too, which makes you a good person to ask.
I just mean that while many of us may claim to make decision about things like diet based on high ethical or spiritual principles, for diet in particular life circumstances pay a huge role in what people actually do. Just my opinion of course.

-James Low

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Wed May 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 pm
DharmaN00b wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:

I just mean that while many of us may claim to make decision about things like diet based on high ethical or spiritual principles, for diet in particular life circumstances pay a huge role in what people actually do. Just my opinion of course.
With a sample size of twenty two (this thread?!) the perspective is going to be skewed, not to mention it only takes one person to shit in the pool. Of course that doesn't mean that people won't be pleased with their perspective, only that they don't see the wood for the trees (qualitative vs quantitative). Not only that, but their trees look the same as all the others, :reading: therefore all trees are the same.

All the same, as much as I love wisdom, I imagine I see where you're coming from.

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Wed May 29, 2019 3:26 pm

would we be here discussing all of these practices and perspectives if our own contrasting states of being weren't a means of self-validation?

Yavana

Post by Yavana » Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 pm

tkp67 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:26 pm
would we be here discussing all of these practices and perspectives if our own contrasting states of being weren't a means of self-validation?
You come for the low down on supreme, full blown enlightenment but stay for the chit-chat. It's like when, after many months in solitude, a fearless sramana comes down from the long trail to his mountain cave deep in the forest to quietly enjoy some coffee in a small cafe. He then finds himself also enjoying a biscotti and following the daytime talkshow banter of "The View."

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous » Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 pm

DharmaN00b wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 2:54 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:55 pm
DharmaN00b wrote:

With a sample size of twenty two (this thread?!) the perspective is going to be skewed, not to mention it only takes one person to shit in the pool. Of course that doesn't mean that people won't be pleased with their perspective, only that they don't see the wood for the trees (qualitative vs quantitative). Not only that, but their trees look the same as all the others, :reading: therefore all trees are the same.

All the same, as much as I love wisdom, I imagine I see where you're coming from.
My sample size is more "the people I've known and my own experiences", rather than simply the people in this thread.

I'm just saying that nearly all the diet-evangelists I know (be they vegan, veg, paleo, crossfit nutrition people, whatever) are always people whose life situations allow them the space to think in great detail about their diet. A lot of people simply don't have that orientation, because their life circumstances do not support such an effort, for all kinds of specific reasons.

-James Low

tkp67

Post by tkp67 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Yavana wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 pm
tkp67 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 3:26 pm
You come for the low down on supreme, full blown enlightenment but stay for the chit-chat. It's like when, after many months in solitude, a fearless sramana comes down from the long trail to his mountain cave deep in the forest to quietly enjoy some coffee in a small cafe. He then finds himself also enjoying a biscotti and following the daytime talkshow banter of "The View."
I have climbed so many mountains and come to find I have still yet to understand the meaning of mountain itself as if the ones prior where constructs of my mine outside true reality and yet through all that delusion I like to think all that" working out" prepared me to see the real thing.

DharmaN00b

Post by DharmaN00b » Wed May 29, 2019 8:57 pm

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 4:12 pm

I'm just saying that nearly all the diet-evangelists I know (be they vegan, veg, paleo, crossfit nutrition people, whatever) are always people whose life situations allow them the space to think in great detail about their diet. A lot of people simply don't have that orientation, because their life circumstances do not support such an effort, for all kinds of specific reasons.
Yes, you're right!

Also, what you write sounds similar to the rare human rebirth pheonomomenon. The human being is in a unique situation so as to afford a chance of liberation from samsara. :cry:

SunWuKong

Re: Veganism is an Eating Disorder

Post by SunWuKong » Fri May 31, 2019 3:42 am

dzogchungpa wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:08 am
Oh MAN, this is going to be good.

:popcorn:
It’s not good, because the NIH link is not even about veganism. DGA came to the debate with no evidence.

The original Ornish diet scientifically proved beyond a shadow of doubt that his diet lowers cholesterol and reduces heart disease. Ditto for Dr. Jenkins. Currently plant based diets are showing evidence of reducing cancer as well. I’ll follow up with the studies that actually pertain to these two diets, which are, among other things vegan.
"We are magical animals that roam" ~ Roam

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 3:42 am
dzogchungpa wrote:

It’s not good, because the NIH link is not even about veganism. DGA came to the debate with no evidence.

The original Ornish diet scientifically proved beyond a shadow of doubt that his diet lowers cholesterol and reduces heart disease. Ditto for Dr. Jenkins. Currently plant based diets are showing evidence of reducing cancer as well. I’ll follow up with the studies that actually pertain to these two diets, which are, among other things vegan.
https://www.uclahealth.org/lifestyle-me ... Review.pdf

So, when prescribed by a doctor, some vegan diets are not an eating disorders. It's following a doctors orders to save your life.

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:32 am
SunWuKong wrote:
dzogchungpa wrote:

So, when prescribed by a doctor, some vegan diets are not an eating disorders. It's following a doctors orders to save your life.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK219620/

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 am
SunWuKong wrote:
SunWuKong wrote:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02481466
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29807048

SunWuKong

Post by SunWuKong » Fri May 31, 2019 4:41 am

SunWuKong wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:37 am
SunWuKong wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 am
SunWuKong wrote:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02481466
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29807048
This is what proofs look like. Vegan diets saving lives, and reducing deadly disease. No one is saying it is for everyone. No one is promoting a fad. Its just published science. Maybe DGA thought no one would look at other studies besides the one he posted. It's not a good debate, because he forgot to bring relevant proofs.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”