'Zero-Calorie' Sweeteners Aren't Actually Calorie-Free?

A place to discuss health and fitness, including healthy diets, etc.
Dharma Flower

'Zero-Calorie' Sweeteners Aren't Actually Calorie-Free?

Post by Dharma Flower »

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/zero-cal ... -calories/

Given the calories of supposedly calorie-free sweeteners, are we better off just putting real sugar in our coffee?
DGA
Former staff member

Re: 'Zero-Calorie' Sweeteners Aren't Actually Calorie-Free?

Post by DGA »

Dharma Flower wrote:https://www.foodbeast.com/news/zero-cal ... -calories/

Given the calories of supposedly calorie-free sweeteners, are we better off just putting real sugar in our coffee?
You are better off not sugarcoating it and drinking your coffee correctly. Let Ms. Turner explain.

phpBB [video]

You'll need one of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

No sweetener in coffee? Gross.
Sādhaka

Post by Sādhaka »

I use unfiltered, raw, & organic honey for coffee or tea.

Also I avoid cane sugar as much as possible, but artificial sweeteners are horrible; so if I had to choose I'd still go with cane sugar over artificial sweeteners or even other "zero calorie" sweeteners.
jkarlins

Post by jkarlins »

small hot cream only

:thanks:
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

The first two ingredients of artificial sweeteners are dextrose and maltodextrin, types of sugar. I feel like I've been deceived my entire life.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

This is the USDA's nutrition facts database:
https://ndb.nal.usda.gov

Per 100 grams, Splenda has 336 kcal and 80.33 grams of sugar:
https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show ... n=&q=&ing=

Per 100 grams, Equal has 365 kcal and 80.70 grams of sugar:

Per 100 grams, granulated sugar has 375 kcal and 100 grams of sugar:

Despite claiming to be calorie-free, the most popular zero-calorie sweeteners have almost the same amount of calories per gram as table sugar. This is because, if an individual packet has less than five calories, it's legally allowed in the United States to be labeled as zero calories.
justsit

Post by justsit »

Dharma Flower wrote:The first two ingredients of artificial sweeteners are dextrose and maltodextrin, types of sugar. I feel like I've been deceived my entire life.
Maybe not so much deliberately deceived (although that does happen often enough) as simply not aware. Americans in general are woefully ignorant on the subject of nutrition, and seem to have some crazy misplaced trust that Big Agra will provide healthy foods. Frankly, I am wary of any so-called food that comes from a big corporation. They are in business to make money, after all, and will go to extraordinary lengths to cut costs.

It is incumbent upon the consumer to read and understand the labels. Caveat emptor.
justsit

Post by justsit »

One fairly benign alternative sweetener source is monk fruit. Lankanto brand https://www.lakanto.com/products/ cuts the super-sweet taste with a sugar alcohol; the product tastes exactly like sugar (this from a life-long sugar junkie!) and can be used 1:1 in cooking and baking. Zero calories, zero glycemic index. Bit pricey, though.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Not that I support artificial sweeteners, but if your read the rest of those articles, you can't compare gram for gram because artificial sweeteners are lighter and more potent in their sweetness. You don't need to use 10 splenda packets in a cup of coffee, one is more than enough, which apparently is just 3 calories. I occasionally use stevia which appears to be plant-based and no calories, but use just one tiny pinch per cup, the recommended amount.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

David N. Snyder wrote:Not that I support artificial sweeteners, but if your read the rest of those articles, you can't compare gram for gram because artificial sweeteners are lighter and more potent in their sweetness.
That might be true, but I've been used to using four packets of Splenda at a time, while it only seems to take two packets of actual sugar to get the job done. Also, real sugar doesn't have that chemical aftertaste, and it tastes better.
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Please keep in mind that I am not paranoid about the potential health risks of non-nutritive sweeteners. I prefer drinking diet sodas to regular sodas, because high fructose corn syrup is even worse for causing diabetes than table sugar.
Pero

Post by Pero »

Splenda contains sucralose and Equal contains aspartame and acesulfame K. It's not all about calories. If you really can't do without sugar try Stevia or Erythritol.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Pero wrote:Splenda contains sucralose and Equal contains aspartame and acesulfame K. It's not all about calories. If you really can't do without sugar try Stevia or Erythritol.
I've heard that stevia is too bitter tasting. Is Erythritol sold in stores?
Pero

Post by Pero »

Dharma Flower wrote:
Pero wrote:Splenda contains sucralose and Equal contains aspartame and acesulfame K. It's not all about calories. If you really can't do without sugar try Stevia or Erythritol.
I only bought it once so far (almost a year ago and I haven't yet used it up) and it wasn't bitter at all. I think it might have to do with quality of the extract or perhaps the leaves have a bitterness (haven't tried them). It is very sweet though, so dosage is a bit of a problem, needs some experimenting haha. Yes you can get Erythritol in stores. It's closer to sugar in sweetness, 30% less.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Dharma Flower

Post by Dharma Flower »

Pero wrote:
Dharma Flower wrote:
I only bought it once so far (almost a year ago and I haven't yet used it up) and it wasn't bitter at all. I think it might have to do with quality of the extract or perhaps the leaves have a bitterness (haven't tried them). It is very sweet though, so dosage is a bit of a problem, needs some experimenting haha. Yes you can get Erythritol in stores. It's closer to sugar in sweetness, 30% less.
Wow. Thank you for the suggestions. I will definitely need to check it out. I noticed that Stevia in the Raw is now sold in stores.
Cianan

Post by Cianan »

Whatever you'll find in stores will be significantly cut with fiber and possibly even dextrose, and it ends up being way more costly than it needs to be. Look around Amazon or somewhere else for a quality pure extract. It's so sweet that it will last you an astoundingly long time. I spent around $15 on 4oz on a whole-leaf organic extract and still have a fair bit of it a year later.

Return to “Wellness, Diet and Fitness”